Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Let's play upgrade the 12 year old machine and make it usable for awhile because I loathe the 2018 15" keyboard.

Money well spent on the K4000, it can run Metal without making GBS threads itself. Surgery time!

Poor bastard that was the original configuration of this 3,1 was 2GB of RAM. It had 8GB of OWC in it.
I also had to remove that shroud off the Quadro, couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it in with it on.

Success

LMAO I'm not even going to try it.

Only weirdness so far is that I had to remove and re-pair my Powerbeats but they work fine now. Maybe something about the Quadro having Displayports, thus, audio devices and it throwing a table off somewhere? As long as this floats me for 2 more years I'll be quite happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Shaocaholica posted:

Haha yesss! More than 2 years that’s going to be usable for another 10 if you include Linux after MacOS support drops to unusable levels.

Unfortunately I have to have Homebrew support for work but if WFH continues much longer I'm just going to advocate they let us trade our MBPs in for 2020 Minis if we want. (Yes yes I know it does work in linux, but I work in a particularly mac-centric environment.)

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 30, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah I'm basically exclusively dealing with folks doing iOS coding so doing anything at all out of the ecosystem is a no no. [Don't tell them I'm taking my Zooms from this guy while also driving 4 other monitors.]

Also worth pointing out that our work MBPs still haven't been AirWatched to Catalina. :thunk:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Well goddamn I guess I'll eat my hat then. No ARM MacBooks this year I reckon.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

American McGay posted:

The new MBA was always gonna be a better value proposition than this thing.

gently caress, the iPad Pro is a better value at this rate compared to the low end. This is idiotic. No dGPU? And they're calling it a Pro? ha.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
its okay, I'll have a better chance of getting shot in the parking lot at Lenox before making it into the Apple store even though I really want to buy an iPad :tif:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Typical posted:

Hey thread, not really a mac user, but i have experience with PC's and hackintoshes.

I'm helping my friend upgrade his 3,1 Mac Pro, for cheap. I helped him clone his drive over to an SSD. and its running great. hes on El Capt, which is fine since he doesn't really need a new OS, and I don't think hes got the technical understanding to do the Dosdude hack to get it running anything newer.

oooh ooh okay I just went through the legwork on this. So, yes, you'll need the super duper special snowflake mini PCIe power cables but it sounds like that's square. Quadro 4000s are ~100bucks on ebay, as are GeForce 640s, both of which there are a Mac-flashed version e: now that I think about it, this isn't true, they "just work" shouldn't need any special cards for this, but a lot of the pulls you'll find on ebay are out of 3,1s it looks like. that "just work." 640 has the benefit of working off the 75w provided by the slot but is DVI-only.

DosDude's installer is just about the easiest, "hack," especially considering its scope, I've ever done. Can this guy really not install a Mac package and/or paste a few terminal commands in? Guides are plentiful and easy...

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 13, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I agree re: TDPs on the Air, it doesn't make any sense except as a web browsing device, and then, why wouldn't you just buy an iPad? I remain convinced they A) expected greater perf/watt improvements out of Intel by now, but they should have already learned that lesson on the 2019 Pro :shrug: and B ) macOS maintaining compatability with both ARM and x86 [in any sort of reasonably unified fashion] is proving harder than they thought, else, why not throw an A13 in the MBA and call it a day?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'm not saying there isn't a niche there, I'm saying, Apple is being absoute rear end at filling it right now and people in this thread need to buy Pros if they're going to do anything more than install Chrome. That is a substantive difference in the model lineup compared to how its been leveraged in the past.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

American McGay posted:

This is absurd lmao.

Uh well yall have fun buying underpowered Intel machines that Apple is overcharging you for lol

And I say this as a huge Intel Mac apologist.

what niche is it filling, pray tell?

edit just to make sure I'm absolutely clear: the Air should have more *effective* power than it does.

The A-whatever ARM and or macOS version to support it in situ weren't ready so we have the current situation.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 17, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think a better way of putting it is that Apple (and lots of other companies, of course) set the tone in the early/mid 2000s for differentiating between “consumer” and “professional” laptop, and for what criteria shoppers could use to tell them apart.

Apple in particular really hitched their brand identity to creative work—filmmaking, photo editing, digital art, and so forth. And for a while it was really easy to be like “gonna edit serious stuff? get a MacBook Pro. Not really gonna edit stuff? Regular MacBook is fine for you.”

In the last ten years those metrics have dramatically changed. If the videos that you post on Facebook or send to your friends are shot in 4K, because every camera that you own is somehow now a 4K camera, then “can it do 4K” stops being a useful means to differentiate “consumer” vs “prosumer”.

Apple needs to reframe how they tier out their computers, or make hardware changes (ARM chip, video coprocessor, etc) that allow users to, say—easily transition from recording 4K video of their child or pet on their iPhone or iPad to quickly editing it on a MacBook Air. That’s the vision that Apple’s been selling since iMovie. And now that the A13 has proven itself capable of handling basic 4K work the deficiencies in the low-power intel hardware become more clear.
This poster gets it (tm)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
e: apparently I am behind on this news

Okay, I glanced at an article that caused me to do a double take and I swipe-edited it. A paraphrase of my original post below:

Its very cool that William Lam basically willed ESXi onto t2 machines but no legitimate security apparatus at anything bigger than the strappiest of startups is going to go for it in any scale. What happens if Apple re-signs the firmware with *insert California geographic feature here*

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 20, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I know, eww, reddit, but /r/vintageapple is pretty happening as subs for old electronics go.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bob Morales posted:

They have SSD adapters to use an NVMe drive in 2016-17 nTB MacBook Pros

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362953287166

Wait, they're still using SATA drives in TYOOL 2020? HAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

"Premium hardware"

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
people itt not realizing that the ARM transition is imminent and also forgetting how abrupt the power PC "gently caress you" was lol

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

IDK what I hope for more- a slow gradual transition that leaves higher-power machines on Intel, at least for a while, or a "gently caress you, here's a surprise A-Series die four times bigger than anything you've seen before with a bajillion cores and it's shipping in the 16" MBP right now" switch

not that I particularly begrudge hackintoshers but it is going to be really funny if Apple figures out a way to fence them out

and, duh, let's be honest, they know that's the easiest way to shore up revenues so uh, duh

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I mean by 2008 smartphones were becoming a thing and miniDV usage [which I would estimate was the vast vast majority of firewire throughput] dropped off...precipitously lol

They put it back into the Pro because, "Pro" but I don't think anyone who bought one of those machines pulled it out of the box and thought they had been taken for a ride.

~Coxy posted:

If Macs go to ARM nobody is gonna want to run a Hackintosh anyway.

hard disagree however they'll probably figure out a way to put a secure enclave into the CPU that prevents hackintoshes in some way thats more severe than t2.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Shaocaholica posted:

Is the touchbar just a usb device?

Probably at a high level for touchid and as a display device but I can almost guaranfuckingtee you it's got some sort of UART, too, especially since its an ACPI function, as well (power button).

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Those are a lot of words for some really bad posts

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
ITS HAPPENING.GIF

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'll let slip what I can that's not PII as I have it. We didn't even know the dev kit was a thing until announced even if we had suspicions.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

I imagine there will still be a place for dGPUs at the high end. Unless Apple’s about to start shipping their own ARM-based PCIe cards, and unless Apple plans to totally scrap the new Mac Pro that they just released in two years for something radically different that doesn’t use MPX or dGPUs or any of that stuff.

You realize it sat on the drawing board for 3+ years while Intel had their thumbs up their asses and Apple finally went, welp we have to release *something,* right?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Without even a hint of what's coming first arm-mac wise, I'm going to go get an iPad Pro today. I had cash in hand to go get an i[ARM]Mac but I'm not dicking around for 8 months waiting to see what they actually release.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I mean Apple could at least spit on it before going to town, but they've shown zero interest in doing so for years and years so...

Its not like anyone likes doing enterprise management of Mac farms.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

How? Also, you realize that Apple has both an in-house division and an ongoing partnership with IBM that just focus on enterprise deployment and customization/systems/internal apps/etc right?

idk what your relationship to the organization is but this is saying the quiet part really loud (it is v. true though)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I don't understand their propensity to buy up companies and kill off functionality within them but not really finish the job holistically within a market segment. Its like someone in management gets a bee in their bonnet about someone/a company and knows how to get legal or finance or whoever to unleash the hounds. Its not like they do it to introduce functionality or to increase their engineering pool. Baffling. RIP Buddybuild

You're absolutely not wrong and you can definitely suss it out if you google hard enough and know the right people, I just don't see it publicized enough by the folks in Cupertino to know if its supposed to be hush hush and marketing doesn't know enough/of it to actively keep a lid on it? They can be picky about that.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Ubiquiti is good if you're willing to play in their ecosystem. Much like Apple.

:whatup:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hasturtium posted:

Has it been conformed that Apple will be using all the CPUs in its BIG.little ARM configurations simultaneously? That's non-trivially difficult kernel work. People freaking out about beta Rosetta 2 performance on a two year old iPad chip is... well, a lot like anyone taking an x86 OS X development box with a Pentium 4 as a reflection of a final product. Better things await.

Yeah I feel like the twitter freakout is overblown because of this. They literally took old rear end cast off iPad chips they essentially got for free and turned them into a "DevKit."

idk what the consensus is or if Apple feels like they can get xcode into a state where it can auto-optimize for BIG.little (lol they can't) but that seems to be what they're driving towards. A 25% performance delta between a shrink or improvement let alone thermal optimizations is EASY to do for Apple.

SlowBloke posted:

I bought in fully in the unifi system (2x shd, usg, us8-60w, ck1) and i've started throwing them away well before the warranty was over, wifi performance is not stellar and barely more reliable then my old reflashed merakis and the usg was nothing but a bottleneck after getting ftth. Their design scenario is honestly best covered by orbi/eero (i don't want to know how it works, just work) where the mesh systems tends to have a way less flakier firmware.

I'm probably too deep in to care by this point, unfortunately. :sigh:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Which is why I'm optimistic but bearish.

Desktop Devs probably aren't going to want to adopt to mobile-style thinking wrt BIG.little etc, but I guess here we are.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I think the elephant y'all are ignoring here is, "good enough."

We're a bunch of loving nerds arguing about imaginary CPU/GPU architectures which we're just speculating about at performance envelopes that make 10 years ago look like an eon ago.

The real question for Apple is, "is it good enough to move units?" Because they don't give a poo poo about anyone who is posting in this thread and haven't for 15+ years lol. And I daresay a turnt' up iPad Pro chip will do just fine in a new iMac.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Martytoof posted:

I’m personally hoping ArmBook includes an LTE or 5G modem. Even if it’s a BTO option. I’d be all over that on day one. Heck, make it an eSIM thing and I’m not sure you even need to have a SIM slot to accommodate.

Yes and honestly, why the gently caress not, other than physically putting the modem down on the board, which if they bought in even more bulk would only help them. Just put the same one you put in the ipad or iphone on. The silicon is obviously "ready" for it.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
A laptop/entry level Macbook would *make sense* as a foray for ARMacs but I have no solid indication that will be the case. ARM devkits are shipping in MacMini cases ala the Intel devkits shipping in G5 chassis.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I rolled the dice on this not-thread-consensus dock and its done everything I've asked of it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0838WTFD1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1x 4k 27", 2x 1080p's, and keeps the Retina display hot. I suppose the only annoyance is that you have to install drivers and those make the OS think its screen sharing so watch-unlock doesn't work, but touchID still does. Charges with plenty of power.

e: 2018 MBP i7 15" Radeon 555x, Catalina 10.15.5

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

Don't really know why Apple is even bothering to sell the iMac Pro at this point.

The Retina 5K 27-inch 2020 iMac is, hardware-wise, literally nearly the same as an iMac Pro (right down to T2 chip, plus paired proprietary SSDs for the 4 TB and 8 TB configurations), but has more powerful GPUs and the super-special nano-texture screens and regular 10th gen Intel chips, which it can be argued are faster than the Xeon chips at this point.

Also, the iMac 2020 still retains the easy-opening RAM door for RAM upgrades while the iMac Pro still needs to be literally disassembled down to the component level to get a RAM upgrade.

*if* the iMac Pro continues as a product line, I see it as the testbed for super duper high end Axx chips prior to a MacPro refresh.

None of what you posted is an incorrect analysis, personally I think the iMacPro only happened because Intel had their dicks in their hand with the Ice Lake chips that were supposed to be out years ago that Apple was probably targeting for the MP that would have also given them Optane support

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

There are currently existing ARM workstations with PCIe slots, if Apple makes an ARM Mac Pro I doubt they'd refuse to put in some.

Of course, the number of PCIe vendors willing to write ARM drivers you could probably count on one hand.. even less of a number who are capable of / willing to work within Apple's development structure..

Atto, OWC, *maybe* StarTech and HighPoint.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

FCKGW posted:

People just have rose colored glasses to all the absolute dogshit Apple tried to put out during the Jobs era too.

iPod Hi-Fi? iPod Socks? Xserve? That lovely plastic gumstick iPod Shuffle? Every single mouse they've designed?

The Macbook Air was so anemic and slow that if they didn't pull out a miracle with the 2nd gen it would have been one of their greatest failures. Instead it ended up spawning a whole new form factors of computers and changed an entire industry.

I will not have the xserve's name sullied in this thread.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The T2 *is* the NVMe controller in so-equipped Macs, thou shalt not R&R if you're not Apple.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

squirrelzipper posted:

So ever since 10.15.6 I’ve had multiple apps report GPU driver errors (Photoshop, Blender AMD RenderPro, FinalCut). Restarting fixes it, as does forcing discrete GPU all the time it seems. I don’t have any of the other issues you’ve outlined - 2019 16” i9 with 8GB card. Just posting this because as far as I can tell the AMD driver issue is a software problem, I’ve run diagnostics and stress tests and things seem ok. Sorry your having such a hassle, hope it’s resolved easily.

Anecdotally, 10.15.6 has caused my dock [the Totu triple not the CalDigit] to forget the orientation of my portrait displays but never my landscape ones upon wake from sleep ~50% of the time. Super annoying.

e: 2018 15" MBP i7/32/256/Radeon555

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 17, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Synergy is absolutely worth the license if you have the use case for it though. Supposedly they're working on a long term project to majorly overhaul it, last I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Fallom posted:

When I used it with Windows 10 as the host and macOS as a client there would be a delay in response after letting the mouse sit for a second or two. Opening a terminal window and pinging localhost would fix it, so it was probably some power saving thing with macOS networking. Has anybody here used it this way and encountered that problem?

Hm, no. Even using my win10 gaming machine as the host with MacPro 3,1 and MacBook Pro 2018 as clients simultaneously.