Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Which hub should I buy for a 2020 MBP 13"?
I need to use my Wacom as an external monitor, and plug in at least 4 usb devices.
I hope this doesn't cause the fan to spin like nutso and heat the sucker up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Binary Badger posted:

CalDigit's MiniDock.

Thanks, I'll order one. I'd never pay $250 just to have a few usb ports. I don't know anything about thunderbolt 3. I think you can hook up an external GPU but not sure why anyone would want to.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ok Comboomer posted:

To play games in Bootcamp at Ultra settings over an external display.

If you don’t need the power of TB, there are even cheaper USB-C docks that will do the same job for way less. But you miss out on stuff like 5k pass-thru, eGPU/PCIe support, and so on. But 99% of users probably wouldn’t notice/aren’t close to pushing the limits of USB.

going to make some hard hitting chiptunes with my synth and the mac hardware :devil: gently caress JACK/Linux

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I have an Ipad Air 2 I never use. Any ideas what it's good for? I jailbroke it, I don't think I gained any functionality from that. I'm a little scared to update the OS because doesn't Mac do updates with the idea of making the older hardware shittier and slower, to manipulate the owners into buying new product. Someone needs to make like a PuppyLinux or real stripped down OS for older Mac hardware.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Hey thanks for all the feedback. Real nice. I was on 10.1, I think, and jailbroke. But I haven't found one thing interesting about the jailbreak so, I'll wipe it and update it. The battery is really good. Maybe if I ever get a network drive going from my desktop, I could ssh into it and have access to files from an ipad. Until then it'll probably go in a drawer again. Guess I'll head over to the home networking thread

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

FCKGW posted:

My kid still uses an Air 2 every single day for several hours a day and has no issues :shrug:

Cool, I don't like holding stuff. Probably could use a stand to at least sit it under desktop monitor. Like make it a 5th monitor just dedicated to youtube, or something.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

japtor posted:

I should just do this with my Mini 4 as a second display for videos/music while working on my main screen...been doing it with my 5th gen lately. If only the 4 supported Sidecar to do more stuff with it.

I have a big monitor, a wacom 16", and two laptops to keep on my desk. With an Ipad to add, my computing is going over the top.

What kind of ipad stand does this thread recommend

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

:thanks:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Any particularly nice macOSX compliant/friendly WIRED keyboards? I am thinking about buying one of the mid range fancy docking stations with a charging capability, hooking it up HDMI for my tv, while using my awesome trackball, connecting my synth, and that gives space for 1 more usb port. I freak out of I have something that requires charging, I want to keep it simple having a wire so never have to say 'oh no i have to charge it again.'
*goes on rant about life revolving around charging my dead battery iphone, and charging my dead battery mpb*

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Hmmm. Thanks Bob but you know what, I think I'm just going to keep using it as it is. NOT buy a docking station, and just deal with what I got and learn to like it. I think this would be the wisest course of action, compared to throwing more money in towards peripherals. Yes yes sounds like a good plan, my mind has been made up.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

thank you. love some gateron blue switches. Bookmarked

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
About 3 months ago I posted about the macbook pro that I was ripped off, returned, and taken for about $250 non refundable. I disputed and the cc company sided with the business, they concluded a few days ago. I guess you just live and learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bob Morales posted:

What company was it?

I bought a “2010” mbp on Reddit from some dipshit who sent me a 2009

“Close enough”

I didn’t bother to create a paypal dispute over it

I had been up driving all night, maybe 15 hours into 2,000 mile road trip. 1000 miles into it I stopped in Colorado Springs at 'The Mac Corner' and the salesperson hustled me. I bought the 2020 at the apple store in Denver then drove back to the springs to return the lovely one.