Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I'm thinking of building a hackintsoh for the first time, and have it dual boot with windows. I've done searching for both of these questions elsewhere, but it's been hard to find out for sure.

As long as I get a motherboard that has two m.2 NVMe ports, can I put mac os on one of them and windows on the other? All of this m.2 port stuff is new to me since the last time I built a pc (over a decade ago), and it seems like booting from them is maybe an issue? It's hard to tell from poking around other forums.

Does apfs full disk encryption work with both hackintosh and NVMe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I really liked my old maxed out air 11". Had a fast i7 for the time. When they brought the airs back the put the terrible 5 watt cpu in which was really disappointing. On these new airs, you can take it back up to an i7 but is there any gotcha I'm not seeing? I don’t see anywhere listing the power draw of the cpu on these ones so I'm a little apprehensive.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Thanks!

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Pivo posted:

You can check the wattage USB-PD is delivering like so: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/troubleshoot-macbook-charger/
Amazon has a great return policy. If you're not getting ~87W, return the cable.

If you're already using the terminal all day and don’t want to do a ton of clicking around to get that info it's also system_profiler SPPowerDataType | grep Wattage

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

No the real problem would be that you probably have to have slack open too, and then whoops all your system resources are gone.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Same for running Zoom in a meeting where there's at least 16 people all running lovely meme mp4s as their virtual backgrounds.

Never install zoom on a computer. They have a long track record of terrible security holes including complete remote control. Their response is always to double down on that they are right and have proven that they lack the ability to get better.

If you have to use it, do it from a phone or tablet. And if you can switch to anything else.

Zoom is dangerous and can never be trusted.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do you have an iPad? I just use that for my zoom calls. No fans to go brrrrrr.

Yeah zoom usage should go 1) refuse to use zoom, if that fails 2) mock and belittle whoever decided to schedule a meeting using zoom, so they feel bad and stop in the future, if that fails 3) use an ipad. Never ever ever install it on a computer. Ever.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Is the reasoning here because the remote access exploits on Zoom don't work on the more locked down iOS?

Yeah that and the spyware where it reports what other programs you have running wouldn’t work, and the root kits to reinstall when you’ve removed it, and the backdoor web server that stays running until Apple had to push out it’s virus definitions to stop it.

Running on iOS doesn’t help that it’s not end to end encrypted so you shouldn’t say anything on a meeting you don’t want public to the world though :/

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

No, the balance 100% drifts. I've had it happen on several machines. One day you'll just be noticing that things sound weird and lopsided, open Sound Preferences, and WELP, it's all out of whack.

Mine seemed to do it when plugging into my caldigit thunderbolt dock. I would only notice it after being plugged in, but it wouldn't happen /every/ time I plugged in. Contacted them and they just said "reset your nvram and smc", which of course did nothing. Ended up running a program to make sure it was always centered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

landgrabber posted:

sometimes I don't mind ATP just because marco being like, a weird rich guy and just bitching at poo poo turned him into actually being fairly critical of apple a lot of the time. he is pretty reductive about seemingly random things, which is frustrating.

He once said that he never uses joins in sql because "joins don’t scale" which is incredibly loving stupid, and I hope no one impressionable listened to that