Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone gotten their MacBook battery replaced under AppleCare? I've got an appointment on Friday as AppleCare expires this month and my laptop battery is showing 75% with 423 cycles. From what I'm reading anything below 80% and 1000 cycles is supposed to warrant a replacement.

I feel a little silly doing this over 5%, but in my experience laptop batteries start dying after about 3 years and even brand new this model had only about 5 hours of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

If it fails their diagnostics, they'll fix it.

I was warned to back everything up because they erase the hard drive. I regularly back up everything, but doing a complete restore would be a major hassle. Is that just a cover-your-rear end in case something catastrophic happens?

I mean it's a battery. It shouldn't impact the hard drive.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just replaced the harddrive on a 24 inch 2009 iMac. It's not that difficult as long as you have a suction cup and torx bits. There are lots of videos online with different techniques that vary in difficulty.

Buy some compressed air. I have no idea why every time I open my MBP it's clean as a whistle but every iMac I've ever opened has PlayStation levels of dust covering every surface.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

Is there any merit to the idea that Apple make their products difficult to repair on purpose? Like, has there been design decisions by Apple that provide no real objective benefit but which make repairing harder?

Maybe. It's in their interest to make memory and storage upgrades as difficult as possible to encourage you to buy the next higher trim.

But the thinner and sleeker your product, the more difficult it's going to be to repair. I have an old Microsoft Surface that'd really appreciate a new battery but it will never get one because it ranks dead last on the repairability guide.

So it's a happy coincidence that your shiny super thin electronic device is nearly impossible to upgrade so would you like to pay $100 more for an extra 8gb of RAM?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Intel just announced it's 7th gen refresh, which rumor is what Apple was waiting for.

I guess it would be good marketing to be the first laptops with the new chip.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Try reversing whichever way you plugged in your Lightning cable. I know it's supposed not to matter, but sometimes it does.

I see that problem when the MFi chip goes bad. Sometimes unauthorized cables will still work if plugged into an Apple device. Maybe the phone isn't recognizing the cable as authorized and the port not an Apple device.

Conversely, Lightning cables suck.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Voting bad RAM on the kernel panics also. It sounds exactly like a problem I had with my g3 iBook back in 2002. I guess bad RAM symptoms never change with age. They're just more difficult to fix now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If Apple was nice and included a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter in the box I'd feel a little better about it. I had a HTC Windows 6 smartphone that lacked a headphone jack while still managing to be absolutely massive. I never thought I'd ever have to worry about dongles again, but here we are.

Also this would have been the ideal time to introduce wireless charging, but I guess a truly wireless iPhone that doesn't need expensive proprietary cables is too wireless.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I always had problems with the original Magic Trackpad and I really like the Magic Mouse.

We're talking about the smooth one and not that abomination with the circular scroll wheel that you had to squeeze, right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does Apple just hate the MBA? You'd think at some point they would have at least refreshed the screen. I've got a regular MBP and would like something with more battery and a Retina screen and more than 2 ports, so a MBA with display technology added since Obama's second inauguration would be perfect - but no.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea if the Mac Pro is a good deal or not, but I was looking at an older tower model and holy poo poo they can be expensive. So at the very least a modern Mac Pro bought 999 days ago has probably held it's value more than most 3 year old computers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm looking to install OWC Data Doubler kits in both of my MBPs, but a friend told me something that freaked me out - he said part of the kit's frame has to be filed down or else it will make contact with something on the logic board and short it. This terrifies me. Is there any truth to this? Is it only for certain models? For the record mine are both 8,2s.

I installed an OWC Data Doubler tray in my mid-2012 MBP. No filing of parts required, no logic board problems 3 years later.

This was what I installed (in case we're looking at different brands/models):

https://www.amazon.com/OWC-Doubler-...a+doubler&psc=1

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jeez, the iPhone 7 doubles the Samsung S7 in single core.

It's roughly the same for multicore, but I'm not sure if that's because Samsung uses an octacore processor or not. Granted some of those cores are for graphics or low-energy purposes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought Apple just really hated Skylake processors, so they were waiting on the new Kaby ones.

And of course it would've been good press to be the first laptops running the fancy new 7th gen chips, but Dell's already using them so what the gently caress do I know.

Still, if the 6th gen chips were what was holding Apple back, then we should be seeing new laptops at some point this Fall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arsten posted:

Actually, changing out the hard drives became a huge pain in the rear end with the 2014s. It's not as easy as it was in the 2012s. :(

Easy is phenomenally relative in this case since changing out the drive in my 2011 Mac Mini made me question a kind and loving God. And I even had that stupid motherboard tool.

I haven't looked at a 2014 Mini so I don't know how much more terrible that is compared to earlier models.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ShadeofBlue posted:

They've been asking about the headphone jack in their surveys for what, like a decade now? I think you might be okay.

I did a survey about 3 years ago about the Apple TV service that never came to be.

Apple and marketing is like the Pentagon and nuclear attack strategies. They plan for everything contingency.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to look up the difference between a MacBook and a 12 inch iPad Pro battery-wise. It looks like the iPad has twice the mAh. Is that right?

I was trying to figure what kind of power advantage an A10 or 11 chip would have over Intel and it doesn't sound like it would be that much if the MacBook is getting similar battery life using half the battery.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I bought an iMac G4 5 years ago because I needed to import some miniDV tapes and that was the cheapest way to do it.

Even hopelessly outdated it still worked remarkably well. I loved the engineering. Any other manufacturer wouldn't have made the neck the strongest part of the computer.

I ended up giving it to my poor, unemployed uncle who used it to meet a woman and move into a nice house.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ironically, Microsoft beats the poo poo out of Apple with mice. Guess that extra button really did matter after all.

For old Macs I really liked the Powermac 7k series. Want a new CPU? Just swap out the daughter card. Want to run Windows? Stick in a PCI card and switch back and forth with a keyboard shortcut. Need to upgrade anything, the whole case opens on a hinge.

Speaking of hinges, the old G3 Blue & White literally advertised on TV how easy Apples were to upgrade versus PC's. It was a weird time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Magic Mouse is great if you need to do a lot of back and forth scrolling. Again, it's not as great as a Magic Trackpad, but I don't think I've seen another mouse with better touch gestures.

I was recently forced back on a corporate imaged Dell at work and holy loving poo poo those have the worst touch and scroll interfaces. I need to find an external mouse, but the computer is so locked down I probably couldn't install anything but default drivers (so no fancy customization).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was seriously looking at an old Newton as recently as 2003.

Which just goes to show how terrible PDAs were that something from the 90's was still viable. Palm was alright, I guess. gently caress Windows CE.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

That MacBook looks fuckin ugly and I don't "get" the led bar.

Personal computers are a dying market. You gotta stick extra poo poo on them to keep people's interest.

It's been so loving long since we've had new Macs and there's so much pent up demand. Flash forward 3 months and everyone will be remembering why you never buy the first version of anything Apple puts out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

OatmealRocks posted:

Who's planning on buying? I sold my 2012 rMBP a few months back and currently have 2015 MB. I plan on getting the 15" and selling this one. I really want dual 4k 27"!!!

poo poo, I just want to finally upgrade to a retina display on a laptop that isn't slower than my mid-2012 MBP. A MacBook rAir with a 6th or 7th gen Intel CPU might work. Even if it wasn't as fast, it'd at least have double the battery life.

A new Mini would be awesome. It's a testament to Apple's engineering and their lack of new hardware that my Mini and MBA are my longest used computers ever.

binarysmurf posted:

Looks like there will be no new iMacs or displays released at the upcoming event, although I'm hopeful Apple will tease us with SOMETHING, at least.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/22/kuo-october-2016-mac-predictions/

I'm also hopeful this report is incorrect, but Kuo has a decent track record.

Skylake? That can't be right. I thought part of this long refresh delay was for something newer than Skylake.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Nothing newer is out, or at least wouldn't have been when the designs were finalized.
Crabby Paddy Kaby Lake just came out. I know Dells have already been announced with them. I think Apple was waiting for that next 'toc' since it may fix some of the mobile issues on the Skylake.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 24, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I know we're all supposed to use iCloud and poo poo, but it seems odd to put out a laptop that can't physically connect to any existing iOS devices without a $30 cable. 90% of the time I use my USB ports, it's to connect my iPad or iPhone.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Just that it'd be odd. I have to believe they'll include at least one USB port on this generation and switch to all USB-C in three years when they refresh again.

Depends on how courageous those engineers are.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

JUST SHOW THE loving CHARGER APPLE

That's one of the USB-C ports. Duh.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So are old MacBooks going to get less expensive or more expensive after this?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you go to apple.com right now and pull up Macs...you can still see what once was.

Maybe this is just Apple's way of getting rid of all the old stock by introducing a design that looks like they spent a month of Sundays working on.

When Tim Cook bragged they had 800 people working on the iPhone camera, he forgot to mention they stole all the Mac engineers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
New stuff up on the store.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When Mac sales crater this next year, will Apple believe their engineers weren't courageous enough?

eames posted:

Can we please open a new thread where we can discuss rMBP alternatives? TIA

Microsoft announced some stuff yesterday.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wait, I thought the smaller MBP had real USB ports? So if you get a 13 inch MBP you just get one more USB-C port than a rMB and no touch bar?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can't give up Mac touchpads.

No SD card on a Mac that's supposed to run Aperture and Lightroom, seriously how are you supposed to transfer photos? I guess photographers do love their gadgets so everyone let's try to find our USB 7-in-1 external card readers like it's 2007 again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

I loving love my iPad Pro.

Right on.

I'm honestly pondering whether I need a laptop at all at this point. My iPad Pro + Logi keyboard already does 90% of my stuff at home and they could probably replace my work laptop if not for the lovely Remedy ticketing web application we use. The few apps that tie me to full fledge computers are probably one or two generations away from being 'good enough' on iOS.

The Verge had an article on the price increase being a direct result of falling market share. PC's went from specialized to commodities, and are now becoming niche items again and the price is reflecting that. Maybe we'll get lucky and see one more update of the Mini and Air before Apple completely leaves the low end PC market.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Isn't DJing just some guy playing a track off their flash drive these days. Not being facetious

That or plugging their iPad into an external speaker.

Two tablets and a microphone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The early reviews say the new MBP is a beautiful machine and the keyboard is awesome. Maybe we're all just being goons.

neonnoodle posted:

Yup. I was waiting to see if there would be any desktop Mac refresh/renaissance (like a return of some kind of Powermac expandable tower format hahahaha loving hell no :smith:), but today I put in an order for a Dell desktop. I need a new computer and my iPad is 100% perfection for the kinds of portable needs that a laptop would offer. Max out that boring-rear end tower with tons of RAM and a core i7 for under $800, thank you and goodnight.

Yeah, I just built a ridiculously powerful PC for games that cost like $700. I still prefer my Mac Mini, but since my most important software is subscription based it's stupid easy to switch platforms and Windows 10 is...almost good enough.

I just wanted one more awesome and decently affordable Mac laptop before tablets took over everything. Alas, my rMBA will only exist in my dreams.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

- me, expressing my actual beliefs

poo poo, how many HP Touchsmarts or Motorola Xoom's are still in use compared to iPad 2's.

The iPad 2 is also the best example of why you should never buy a first gen Apple product (see iPad 1).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

It's expensive. It got hot and touching the screen was uncomfortable. It's not as wieldy as any ipad I've ever used. It's too heavy. It runs Windows 10 . The kickstand felt unbalanced, you can't really use it on your lap. It's easy to just knock it flat over by accident. The type cover is a so-so keyboard. The touchpad was terrible. The keyboard cover goes flush up against the screen, and folds flat behind the surface pro so any table dirt that attaches to the bottom of the surface becomes the screen cover. The cover was an extra $130 when I bought it. Battery life wasn't good enough for me. The pen was kind of glitchy and not as accurate as I thought it would be, so it wasn't a good replacement for paper for my purpose, which is writing equations. Resting an arm on the surface felt horrible, because it was too hot.

I could maybe go on.

The charger was straight out of 1982. Magsafe looks like an art piece by comparison.

It felt cheap as gently caress, low build quality.

I have a 1st gen Surface. The screen is completely scratched because of the attached keyboard cover and it's gone through 2 magnetic chargers because the glue separating. I was kind of excited to hear Microsoft was recalling their chargers. Ends up it's the brick part. Apparently the part that self destructs after less than a year works just fine.

And even though Microsoft controls both the software and the hardware, installing Windows 10 was a disaster. It 'forgot' all networking protocols since 1999. The only options were cable modems and ISDN on a device with no Ethernet port. Ends up that's what happens when you try to install the Windows 10 beta on a Surface with antivirus enabled. Because apparently Microsoft QA's this stuff with no 3rd party antivirus enabled. Windows Defender for life, yo.

And the battery...I think it ranks as the most difficult thing to replace on iFixIt. I read it costs like $300 to swap. So after 3 years you'd better enjoy keeping it plugged into those chargers that need to be replaced regularly.

Macs don't seem so bad now.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 29, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Calling it, the next Mini is going to be rebranded as an Apple TV trim line. It's going to be Apple's first MacOS computer running on an A11 chip.

And it will be even thinner
One HDMI port

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

In an attempt to change the topic: is there anything cool you can do with one or the sunflower 15" (I think) iMacs? The one with the neat swiveling mechanic and the CPU etc. in the base. I have one of those sitting in a closet. The DVD drive is broken but wifi/Bluetooth works.

Not much because finding software for them is really difficult. I guess you might find old physical copies, but good luck finding good download links for programs made for a wholly different chipset on an already niche platform that haven't been updated in a decade.

They are neat though. I wish Apple hadn't abandoned the articulating arm so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
9 out of 10 users will probably never have a problem with 8gb. Limiting to 16gb is in no way going to cause obsolescence except for a small number of power users that Apple isn't marketing to with these releases.

They probably didn't add a 32gb option because not enough people would select it and it'd pressure them to price the 16gb (likely the most profitable trim) lower as a mid-sized option versus their premium. Apple loves to gently caress customers over with memory and storage. "Oh, you'd like a 32gb iPhone? gently caress you it's a 16gb you'll learn to hate or 64gb where you will always have about 30gb free."