Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It think it exists just so people get pushed into buying the next model up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They'll get more periodically. They sell refurb computers from 2009

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rabid Snake posted:

Anyone know any good external portable hard drives that can be used cross platform (PC and Mac)? I want to store Movies and the bulk of my Music on it for my Macbook Air. 500GB would be enough, portability is a must.

I use a Western Digital "My Passport" external drive between my computers. It just uses a USB cable and takes power from the computers. I've been using a 320gig one for several years as well as a 500 gig one last year and both work fine.

Format the drive to FAT32 and you'll be able to read/write on both OSX and Windows. You won't be able to transfer single files over 4gigs though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Safari always felt a little sluggish but Firefox is starting to feel the same way. FF still has the best adblock though so I stick with it. Chrome still shows ads and pop ups once in a while.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They won't let you do that even if you're the original purchaser.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dissss posted:

Anyone tried Left 4 Dead 2 on it on the new Airs yet? If so how playable would you say it is on OSX or Windows?

I do have quite low standards as I currently play on an AMD E-350 with Radeon 6310 at the moment.

Notebookcheck says the Intel HD3000 can play it at over 60fps in high settings, expect a minor performance hit on OSX.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chim posted:

i think its 25% off - it's pretty significant, i'd stick with it

25% is the personal discount and they get 1 of those a year, F&F is 15%,

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been running 2x2x4gigs on my 27" and it's been fine. I guess since it's 3 sticks that it's not doing dual-channel anymore but I haven't noticed any performance loss.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jfreder posted:

My new Air attached to a 42" TV playing Netflix showed significant slowdown which is weird because my Atom powered netbook can power the TV without any noticeable issues. Maybe an issue with Lion? However, I would think word would be out already if there was that big of a problem.

Do you have it plugged into power?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know that on the Macbook Air that Apple advertises a 30-day standby time in sleep mode and instant wake. Will this also happen if I put in my own SSD in a Macbook Pro?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

11" is too small. I mean if you're looking for something that size any cheap netbook should be able to handle whatever you wanted. The 11" MBA is overpowered/priced for its intended use IMO. On the other hand the 13" can practically replace your desktop and be your sole computer. 3 pounds isn't much at all and the extra resolution and battery make it a no-brainer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope in the next MBA iteration they can reduce the huge bezel around the screens because it makes it look silly. It would force them to reduce the keyboard size though, dang.

Shouldn't be a problem on the 15" MBA when they make one.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 27, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Space Racist posted:

Not to rumor monger too much, but when the revamped Airs were debuted last year, they were billed as the "next generation of MacBooks", for whatever that's worth.

And it came to fruition when they discontinued the Macbooks. I think the Pro will be around for a long time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If your computer boots up and the RAM is recognized then you're good to go.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Got my refurbished 2010 MBP from Apple today. It looks brand new without a single scratch on it, plus coconutbattery says it has a brand new battery with 2 charge cycles. Refurbs are awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah 4gigs is plenty

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you think removing three philips screwdriver is hard, then yes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nm

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 29, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The hard drive is user replaceable on the MBP at least on the unibodies. I called Applecare just to make sure. The guy said that if something was wrong with the hard drive they would prefer to just send the replacement to the user. The user manual of the MBP actually has instructions on how to do it.

Also I just upgraded with an SSD on my MBP this morning and it took 15 minutes. I just watched a couple youtube videos and it was easy. All you need is a small philip screwdriver and a Torx T6 driver.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 29, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nm

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's in the user manual, but they do warn you to not screw it up. Doing the battery will void your warranty.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 29, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SERIOUS posted:

So my iMac is still in the store getting the hard drive replaced. (I'm one of the people that got an iMac in May, and therefore my Mac's iTB seagate hard drive may be bad.) The Genius that served me first tried to fight me on whether the issue was even true (I politely recommended he google the issue, which he did) and then they said it would take 5 days.

Yesterday was Day 5 and I got no call from the Apple store, so near the end of the day I called them, and a rather rude lady told me the computer wasn't done and it may take a few more days because they are "backed up." This long, to swap out a hard drive? Really?

I'm trying to be fair here because I've never dealt with the Genius Bar before. I ask my fellow goons here - is this normal? Do Geniuses really take this long to get things done? Even things like hard drive swapping?

Really depends on the store. Some of them are absolutely packed and busy. It's not that it takes a long time to replace the HD, they could do it in 20 minutes. It's that they also have a long list of other repairs to do and they go through them in order. It sucks they are being rude though, they must be jaded as hell.

My city has 2 Apple Stores that are always way too busy and repairs take forever so I go to another one that not as much people visit on Chestnut St. I waited almost 2 weeks for one to replace the broken optical drive on my iMac.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you just bought it they'll just give you a new one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nope. You go to the apple site to register it and they email you a free download code. Some older refurbs with c2d processors are not eligible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Between those two I'd get the x220

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Crucial m4 is what you want. It is their newest version of that SSD.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So my 3 day old Macbook Pro started doing this. I tried restarting and it would work fine for a couple minutes and completely freeze. Rebooted again and the lightshow happened again. I'm guessing it's the video card? I also tried swapping the hard drive and RAM, no change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbwYGoINy4

The sound is coming from my TV, not the laptop by the way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a hard drive with Snow leopard and another with Lion and it happened in both. Sucks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'll ask Steve tomorrow.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought Applecare and an iPad 2 from this place, they have pretty low prices

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582542-REG/Apple_MC246LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_MacBook.html $190 for MBA. No tax and free shipping!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-APPLECARE-APPLE-CARE-A-warning-to-buyers_W0QQugidZ10000000011731235

I bought some ultra cheap Applecare from ebay years ago and Apple never gave me trouble during repairs, but I've also read a lot of horror stories. Safer to stick with the official stores.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 2010 15" MBP boots in about 15 seconds after I upgraded with an OWC SSD. But that doesn't really matter since there's no real reason to shut it off in the first place like you guys said. As long as I see Chrome or iTunes turn on in one bounce I'm happy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jfreder posted:

Anand did a review of the i7 in the 11" Air and concluded that the upgrade was worth it. You get an average of 22% performance increase with basically zero impact on battery life (unless you are running at 100% CPU for extended periods of time). He also threw in that there wasn't a noticeable difference between the LG and Samsung panels.

11" i7 Anandtech Update

It seems there are big differences in the two SSD vendors though.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 2, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I brought in my iMac last year it took the guy 15 minutes to clean the screen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

When I swapped the drive in my 27" iMac it took me 15 seconds to clean the screen.

The guy also installed a new optical drive :colbert:

And why do optical drives break so much goddamn they suck poo poo. Just ship desktops with the external drive from now on, Apple.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I read third-party drives have some incompatibility with things like iDVD or DVD Player

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They lowered prices a little though it took over a decade of waiting

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

OSX is poo poo without SSD

Ok it's not poo poo but SSD rules pretty hard

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it's just for dicking around stick with the default. It's more than powerful enough and it also blows away your blackbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think there are even screws involved anymore, you can just rotate the bottom cover with your thumbs and it comes off. The early Mac Mini designs were terrible.