Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Buddy of mine has a 2008 mac pro (the tower, not the book) thats rebooting before getting to the login/desktop. Seems like its rebooting on the apple logo screen. Should I start pulling memory sticks to see if one of them is bad? Is this tell tale of something else?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Could be bad RAM, bad hard drive, logic board, processor card failure.. try pulling sticks but it'd be better to take it to a Fruit Stand if it's still in warranty. Also remember those sticks HAVE to be installed in pairs...

Out of warranty. I installed the sticks originally and it was working for over a year.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So long story short, I had to mess with the fans on a Mac Pro 1.1 due to a pysically failed temperature sensor. Everything seems to be fine now but I'm new to the OS X world of hardware tinkering.

What apps do you guys recommend to monitor CPU temp. I want to make sure my fix isn't going to ruin the system.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it still easier to flash ATI cards to be Mac compatible? What are my options in the $150-$200 range if any for a Mac Pro 1.1?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bassguitarhero posted:

I use iStat Menus to monitor my heat levels.

As for graphics cards, I run a Radeon HD 4870 1GB and I flashed a PC version and it works just fine, been workin great for years. Playin all my games fine in OS X and Windows 7.

On a Mac Pro 1.1? Will I need to hack any OS files to get it to work or will it work just like the factory card?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What are my CPU upgrade options on a Mac Pro 1.1?

I've been told X5355 [quad core 2.66] and X5365 [quad 3.0ghz] are candidates. Anything else in the quad core range?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are we ever going to get to the point where there is no difference between PC and Mac video card firmware? Aren't most PCs now using EFI?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So after some sleuthing I've found out that flashed HD5870s will work in the 1.1 but with no display output on boot up until the login screen.

Does anyone know if this is the same behavior for the official Apple HD5870 cards? There are a few comments on the Apple store item page that says the official HD5870 does work in the 1.1.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I just found out that my MP 1.1 is not able to boot the 64 bit kernel. I know that I can still address >4GB of memory and run 64bit apps on the 32bit kernel but what -will- I be missing?

Why did Apple release the 1.1 with 64bit capable CPUs and support for 32GB of memory and no ability to boot a 64bit kernel?

Edit: WTH??? Win7 and 64bit Win7 aren't supported on the MP 1.1?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 26, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I have 2 graphics cards in my Mac Pro 1,1 running 10.7, which one will get used for 3D games in steam? The one that is physically connected to the display running the game?

Right now one GPU is vastly superior to the other (7300GT vs HD5870). I want to leave both in there because the hacked HD5870 doesn't show the grey boot screen. Also, this machine is for a friend who isn't technically computer or mac fluent and I didn't want to give him the 7300GT loose/uninstalled for him to loose since he'll need it if the HD5870 breaks or something else fails requiring him to use the 7300GT.

My concern is that apps might pick the weaker GPU when performing compute tasks and gaming.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

The 2GB in the $599 base model is a loving joke

Apple still sells *anything* with 2GB?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does the Mac Mini 3.1 support 2x8GB dimms? I ask because it seems that there was no availability of said dimms when the 3.1 came out so someone would have had to test much more recently.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

AlternateAccount posted:

No. 8GB max.

Chipset limitation? I can't seem to find what the chipset even is on the 3.1.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mayodreams posted:

I tested this almost exact setup this summer. The key points to this kind of setup is that you need a second gpu if you want to use the 8800GT for compute, which that guide goes into in the build section for the Mac Pro. Also the key point of Resolve is color grading, so a color accurate monitor and a Black-Magic card to drive it are essential for doing any kind of professional grading. You may also run into data transfer speed issues if you are using higher bit rate HD footage and you don't have have some sort of fast storage available.

I don't see why you need a special video card for color management. I've been to plenty of studios using off the shelf consumer cards. Its the display that matters and the know-how in making it all work. Unless you're talking about displays that don't take DVI, HDMI or DP. In which case you could probably afford something better than a MP3.1 not that it would get you that much more color accuracy than a high end prosumer display that can take those inputs.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 9, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well my point is that you get very little when going from 8 to 10/12 bit with today's software and delivery specs. I'm all for its development and adoption but its really not necessary unless you can afford it a few times over. It would not be the first items a small studio should get if on a budget even if working on feature films and this is true in practice.

I think you should know how to work with it if you're going into that industry but I would never buy it for personal use/learning.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mayodreams posted:

While I agree that with you that it depends on the delivery specs and the look that the director wants, I'll disagree that it would not be a priority on a production with any kind of budget, let alone a feature.

Most flims that our students and faculty (which includes one that screened at Cannes this year) finish is either being color graded in our facilities, or by a post house in downtown Chicago. If you are using professional cameras with real color spaces (Varicam, RED, CineAlta, Alexa), then 10 and 12 bit color space is absolutely necessary.

While tools like Resolve Lite open up the software to lower tiers of users and budgets, at it's core, it is still a professional product that needs a lot of expensive hardware to fully exploit it's power.
Dollars to donuts 90% of directors don't know and can't tell the difference. Unless you can afford it many times over, blowing a huge chunk of your budget on it is nothing more than cine-peen bragging. I would rather have a competent IT dept, studio workflow and well paid artists before going 10/12 bit in production. Files on disk should be 32bit floating point but displays need not be more than 8-bit on properly color managed consumer hardware unless you're dealing with buku bucks and can afford it without sacrificing anything else.

I've worked with(not for) a few rag tag post houses in LA working on pretty big features and they all have lovely IT, lovely workflows and the last thing they are worried about is finaling in >8bit color.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How has the hard drive shortage affected Apple? Are they delaying shipments? Raising prices?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

It only affects BTO iMacs that have the 2TB upgrade, not Mac Pros

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/02/2tb_hard_drive_shortage_hits_apples_bto_imacs_with_5_7_week_wait.html

That information may have changed by now, that's from last month.

Isn't there also a shortage of laptop drives as well? Aren't the MBs Apple's most popular 'mac' seller?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter is all I'd need to be able to have an MBA as my main machine.

What do you need FW for?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

fleshweasel posted:

Any number of pro audio or video applications and for the majority of high-performance external storage available on the market or people already own.

I can't think of any current gen video that is limited to FW. I always thought pro audio was mostly on USB? Why not actually ask the OP?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Neurophonic posted:

To expand, USB relies upon a software process that runs on the normal CPU die, where FW has it's own controller (in the majority of cases). This is why a FW400 transfer is often a lot faster and more consistent than the 'better' USB2.0 spec, and in audio you certainly don't want your monitoring to be affected by rendering out effects etc.

Any audio hardware that has moved over to USB is almost certainly just a compromise to increase potential sales to users without any access to Firewire. It's not because it's better in any way, other than ubiquity.

Is this still relevant with today's CPUs? I never said USB was better and I understand the difference but I don't see any need moving forward for FW if you have USB + TB.

Mass storage (TB)
Peripherals (USB)
Pro audio (USB/FW?)
Modern pro video which is all file based (USB or TB flash reader).

If pro audio is the only one in that list that can't work around USB's limitations then its going to have problems going forward if Apple doesn't think its necessary to put FW on all their Macs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bassguitarhero posted:

Does anyone know why adding 4GB of RAM to my Mac Pro 1,1 would make all the fans turn on full-blast all the time as soon as it starts up? I just RMAd this RAM from OWC to replace the 4GB that went bad earlier, but every time I put it in the fans just clock up to full and won't quit. It's the same PC5300 667MHZ as what's in there now.

Do the fans stay at full blast when you get to the desktop? Are you sure its the memory thats causing it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just picked up a maxed out G4 MDD with the stock ATI 9000 Pro 64mb graphics. Running 10.5.8 and Core Image is listed as 'Software'.

What have I to gain from upgrading the graphics to something like the official Apple Geforce Ti4600 128MB?

The machine is hooked up to a 1920x1080 monitor and I'll mostly be using Photoshop, PPC compatible Lightroom and PPC compatible Aperture on this machine.

Also random web surfings. FYI this is not my main machine but a scanning workstation with an old SCSI film scanner which I want to be able to troubleshoot scans with the above mentioned apps.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Core_Image#Supported_graphics_cards

Maybe a ATI 9800 or one of these, if you can find one in your country (and isn't $149)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...9#ht_1711wt_754

Thanks. But what I'm I going to gain?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ahh, good to know. So whats the cheapest AGP video card I can get that will with 10.5 and support core image?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

If you can find some of the rarer Radeon 9800s with 256 MB VRAM that's better.

Thanks. Just got back from Memorial day vacation, read this and saw one ending on ebay within 30min. What timing! Snagged it for $50 shipped. 256mb retail version too!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the same G4 MDD I mentioned earlier in this thread has the full compliment of 4x512mb (2GB) of memory installed.

The memory is 2xKingston and 2xMicron sticks.

ASP reports them as:

PC2600U-20220
PC2600U-20220
PC2600U-25330
PC2600U-25330

Are the ending numbers the latency? If so, is it a big deal that I have mixed latency?

FYI, I know about the ASP bug where the G4 reports PC2700 as PC2600.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
On the topic of hard drives, what did Apple service centers do to diagnose HDDs before Intel Macs since most/all of the manufacturer diagnostic tools are written for x86. Did they have a PC laying around for that?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Transferring a 7GB file from a USB2 external HD to a very late model Powermac G4 should be pretty painless right? Nope. gently caress you USB 1.1 and whoever thought it would be a good idea to not have USB 2 on the late model G4s.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So my 'new' Powermac G4, again, came with maxed out ram at 2GB (4x512) with 3 different models of memory sticks. 2 Kingston hyperX, 1 micron and 1 generic. Passes AHT extended test fine multiple times. Boots into an old install of 10.5.8 fine. Will not for the life of me do a fresh install of 10.5 with the micron and generic sticks in (essentials package validation error). If I pull them, it installs fine. After the install, I put the sticks back in and try to update to 10.5.8. Nope, fails every time. Pull the sticks, updates like a breeze. Clearly there's something going on with those sticks that is not hard locking the machine during normal use nor is it coming up with AHT extended tests. If I didn't have/want to reinstall OS X or update to 10.5.8, I would have never picked up on this even after running AHT.

How am I supposed to test any new memory with any certainty? How did people do it when PPC procs were the norm? There's no PPC build of memtest except for that pay one that runs in a session of OS X.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martytoof posted:

You can probably download a PPC build of Ubuntu or some other Linux; Those might have memtest as a standard boot option.

e: Though maybe not. Apple hardware test CD would be great, but I doubt you have access to that.

Just downloaded the latest daily build of ubuntu for PPC and it does not include memtest like the x86 builds. I've already tried AHT on the memory that won't let me install Leopard or updates and it passes it with flying colors after 4 consecutive extended passes.

I really don't want to find a DDR PC just to test this stuff but I could.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

From what I recall we only ordered RAM from Mac-friendly vendors and if they were bad, RMA them until we got fully working machines.

Don't know what exact model your G4 is but does it have a FW 800 port?

PowerMac MDD G4s need 2.5v, unbuffered, 8-byte non-parity 184-pin DDR SDRAMs; if your chips differ from this spec in any way that could be the reason for them not working.

Edit: this is anecdotal evidence, but I have NEVER seen AHT detect bad RAM in ANY Mac, my personal opinion is that like Disk Utility's SMART reporting, it is only programmed to detect catastrophic worst case scenario failures. I have personally seen Apple System Diagnostics detect it.

Well I coughed up the $1.39 to download memtest os x. Seems like its worth the cost compared to finding a DDR based PC even though I probably could easily next week at work.

The dimms that work are kingston hyper x which I don't think were apple specific. I've never heard of any apple specific memory from SDRAM till the present.

The whole not having a solid first or third party memory test seems a bit dubious on Apple's part. How could you guarantee workstations or servers for mission critical work? You can't just count on having a good RMA service.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 3, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
One last thing. Looking for a PCI wifi card for the G4 running 10.5.8. Here's the kicker, it needs to support WPA2(two) and would highly prefer one that does not requite the use of some 3rd party utility. It seems that a lot of the cards out there don't support WPA2.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Boris Galerkin posted:

Edit: I just realized I had her buy a single 4GB RAM instead of 2x2GB. I also just saw that her MBP (5,1) supports up to 8GB, I thought it was only 4GB. Whoops. Two questions then: 1) can she mismatch 1x4GB and 1x1GB RAM together? 2) If not (or even if so I guess), is it worth it to buy another 4GB stick to bring it up to 8GB?

Aren't 4GB sticks dirt cheap these days? Why not just max it out. I've been maxing out laptops on 8GB(2x4GB) since C2D and its been cheap too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martytoof posted:

I don't have a screwdriver handy to tear the card out of my MDD G4, but I *think* I have a Microsoft MN-720 in there. I know it worked out-of-box, but I'm not certain whether it does WPA2. I would give you a better trip report except I am still looking for a copy of Leopard to re-install on that bad boy.

Regardless, I will try to remember to pull the card out tomorrow when I get a minute.

Hmm, the MN-720 seems to be a PCMCIA card. How does that work -inside- a G4? There's no connection for the built in antenna.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

The Microsoft card is probably a PCI format card if it's in the G4 and is one of the earlier ones that uses a Broadcom chip, which doesn't need any drivers. And it probably has an antenna sticking out the back of the card.

This card should work but it requires drivers to be installed. It's a Ralink based card; they're one of the few wireless OEM chip manufacturers that provide Mac support, and their drivers are 10.3/10.4/10.5 compatible and available up on the Asus site.

I have an older Asus that's got a Broadcom chip and doesn't need any drivers, hence it should have WPA2 support. Let me see if I can find it on the Interwebs..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320022

Yeah, it does, just Google hard or try e-Bay, unless you want a wireless-N connection, in which case get what I mentioned above.

Thanks. I've give the WL-138g V2 a try. Fingers crossed.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The ATI 9800 Pro arrived and it don't fit :(

It looks exactly like this:

and I have a G4 MDD whose AGP slot only goes up to the first notch from the left. I still have the 'aux' connector on the far left but the first section of pins in the main connector is absent on my G4 if that makes any sense. I can make the card physically fit by cutting the first notch from the left deeper but I'm not sure if that will work electrically.

Edit: It looks like this card was made for the G5. Still not sure if it will work in a G4 if I cut that notch.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

I modified an old nVidia 5200FX that was set up for the G5 to fit in a G4 by cutting that notch off with my Dremel, it worked fine.

OWC also sold 'sawed off' nVidia 5200FX cards for the G4 in a similar fashion many moons ago.

That first little tab was to get either 24V or 27V off the logic board to provide power for ADC displays plugged into the ADC port. If you're only using the DVI port, you don't need the notch.

I had to cover the ADC port with clay (the one that's not DVI with the rounded edges) to make sure no one used it but it worked well enough on my G4 to let it play Oni somewhat more smoothly than the older Rage 128 card it replaced.

Of course YMMV and there's no guarantee that what worked for me on a different vendor's card will work in your situation.

Its not the ADC power pins that are the problem, its the first set of pins to the right of the ADC power that would not be connected to anything. If thats main AGP Pro power then I guess it won't work since the card doesn't have any other aux power inputs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I'm getting lackluster transfer speeds from an external drive.

G4 MDD (without FW800)
Lacie USB2+FW800 combo card using built in OS X drivers
Lacie 2.5" FW800 1TB drive formatted NTFS with some ~50GB files
Using FW800 interface

Getting around 30MB/s using rsync, cp and finder. I know this exact same drive is capable of ~70MB/s on other machines. The FW800 interface isn't bottlenecked. The PCI interface isn't. What could it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Either it's because of the NTFS formatting (You might be using some slow NTFS driver like Apple's) or your firewire cables might be crappy. Firewire controllers can negotiate the speed down to 100/200/400 Mbps if they think your cables are crap.

I'll try another set of cables and format the drive fat32 when I'm done with the current files on it.

Strangely enough I was only getting 40MB/s transferring from internal drives in the G4. Both drives are WD/500GB/7200/16mb formatted HFS+ on different ATA channels. AFAIK, the ATA channels in the G4 MDD are ATA-100.