Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's not enough information for anyone to go "holy poo poo", so if you see people doing it, take it with a huge grain of salt. There's a reason nobody seriously uses Geekbench to compare CPUs anymore unless they literally have to because of architecture differences, and even if those numbers are realistic, they still mean nothing for sustained workloads. Apple's presentation was so vague that if it were literally anyone else they would have been laughed off the stage.

They might hit it out of the park, and I kind of hope they do, but it's very clearly a public beta to anyone who's been around the block with them before.

This is the most sensible M1 take I've seen so far. Honestly I think will take at least 1-2 generations of M1 laptops before enough software is ported for the ecosystem not feel niche or barebones. Folks will say "I only use safari + photoshop.". But there are so many little add-ons and apps that will undoubtedly break and not be available and emulation not being working out the gate means everyone's stuck waiting for porta and fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple learned from Google/YouTube and Facebook not to ever let themselves end up at the mercy of another company for a core marquee feature, and Netflix/Prime is the closest situation to that for them in the video content consumption/rental space, which has historically been a massive revenue driver for Apple.

Netflix and Amazon, etc have already entrenched themselves firmly in Apple’s video blackberry patch, taking content views that otherwise could’ve gone through iTunes. And they’re core enough services for enough customers that if either of them decided to throw their weight around for whatever reason, Apple would be in for a major headache and possible user shrinkage.

So there’s enough incentive there for Apple to seek some degree of independence from big streamers and leverage when negotiating with them. There’s also incentive for Apple to draw customers to their ecosystem, just as iTunes and iPod did in the past, and Apple Music is doing now. But they also waited way too long.

Are Itunes and Apple music actually a thing? They just seem like vestigial holdovers at this point.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy is doing some big discounts on their "open box - satisfactory" Macbok Pro M1 models in some stores. Down to $950 depending on location.
You'll need to check on the site and click on "Buying Options" and it should show anything in your area
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macboo...odel~Apple%20M1

I think the Airs are discounted too.

Great tip, thanks! I pulled the trigger on one of these.

My mid 2012 MBP has had a good ride. It's time to finally go buddy. I think I've taken apart and rebuilt my 2012 machine half a dozen times. It's a total Frankenstein now.

I'm glad I waited, as I'd been so disappointed by every MBP iteration since 2012 that I was casting about for windows laptops all this last year.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 9, 2021

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

re:touchbar chat, I installed BetterTouchTools and made the touchbar more useful to my life.

The default set-up and the available options in the OSX customize screen are complete garbage though. I was apoplectic when I realized they'd turned volume controls into a multi-tap-menu with no simple way to escape that.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Kaklashnikov posted:

If you tap and hold the volume icon on the touchbar you can slide it back and forth to adjust the volume without waiting for it to go to the next menu. This works for brightness too.

Tap-->hold-->slide is still way longer than just tapping a volume control button. BTT re-created that for me and I got to build in some nifty extra features too (like microphone mute, screenshot and bluetooth controls):

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm regretting not springing for the 16gb of RAM in my M1 MBP. I find myself consistently at ~7GB with Plex + a handful of tabs open going. It doesn't take much at all to push me up against the limit and cause stuttering.

Kinda disappointed in that...but idk - maybe it's Firefox's fault? Either way I'm gonna eye a fall trade-in probably.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Are you outside of the return window? Sorry man but you're making me feel better about springing for a 16GB MBP which is on its way. Good to know I won't be hitting the swap too often.

I am, unfortunately. It's okay, I was always planning on trading in for the next generation anyhow and I've found that periodically restarting/killing Firefox and re-opening it really attacks the problem. 16bg is definitely the right decision though.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Won't fullscreen movies/videos look weird with a notch?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

What are folks' opinions on apple care? Worth it? Not worth it?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

^^^not yet thank god

Brain Issues posted:

I skip Applecare+ on my Macs, and I pay for it monthly on my iPhones.

makes sense. Yeah I'll skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, memory usage on my M1 mac has been an absolute shitshow since I picked it up last year. I got an 8GB base model with the intention of upgrading for this year's release, but it really is terrible. (I opted for 32 gb on the pro - hopefully that helps.)