Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Would the low end mini serve fine as an HTPC as long as I upgrade the RAM? I'm not interested in gaming so I don't know if I want to spend the extra money on a graphics card unless it would help play high def content via XBMC any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fishmech posted:

Atom systems with Nividia ION gpus that don't perform better than what's in the new Mini handle almost all HTPC tasks just fine, the Mini should fly for HTPC tasks as long as you have enough RAM in.
Thanks. I'm at the apple store waiting to buy my new Air and since the company is buying it for me, I might as well pick up a mini since I have the money as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

New Minis are in store? I'm assuming just the 2.3 and 2.5 i5's, right?

I didn't ask about the i7's, sorry, but the i5s are definitely available.

Edit: I did a CCC update of my MBP's backup and am now using Migration Assistant to transfer much of my info from the backup to my new MBA. I'm happy it's working. :unsmith:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

According to the benchmarks at Notebookcheck.net, the Intel HD 3000 graphics chip is slower than the nVidia GeForce 320M it replaces from the previous model, but not by much, like 85% of the speed. Associates using the Mini 2010 models as media centers say it's just fine, soooo...

Guess I'll find out since I bought the Mini. :v:

Now to order more ram from newegg or someplace.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sasquatch! posted:

Would like to hear a trip report on what you think of the Mini. :) I can't imagine why an i5 - even with integrated video - wouldn't be more than enough for HTPC usage.

I'll remember to give one next week; I've ordered some more ram from newegg and am getting a tv to replace my old DLP that just died around the same time. This will be my first HTPC... I like my AppleTV 2, but it's not exactly what I want in performance, so I'm looking forward to not having to gently caress around in a half-assed manner to just watch videos.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

With all this talk about MBA screens, I'm curious how one checks the screen's manufacturer since I can't seem to find it in the system profiler.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ganon posted:

I thought so, mine is an LG. I kept noticing how the YOSPOS.CSS was really the wrong shade of green. This is a bit disturbing because I have to occasionally look at color proofs and scans on my Air and if the color is this much off I don't think I can honestly keep this thing around.

gently caress. I don't want to take a hit on a restocking fee, and it sounds like roulette on which screen you get.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 25, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit: rong thrad :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm going to assume this is hardware related:

I've upgraded my 2008 24" iMac to Lion, and all has been great on it since day 1 (although I wish I could upgrade the ram beyond 4 gb) until earlier today. I realized that I accidentally left my usb stick drive at work and wanted to transfer some files from the iMac to my new MBA, so I thought it was a perfect opportunity to use AirDrop. Unfortunately, on my old iMac, I have no option to turn airdrop on, nor does it even show up in the sidebar of any finder window. Is this because the hardware is too old?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SourKraut posted:

It appears your iMac is too old, as this AirDrop support page on Apple's site seems to indicate that only iMacs from early 2009 or newer are supported.

Trying to get me to upgrade to a new iMac? $teve!!!! :argh:

Oh well, no big thing. Thanks. :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I want an SE/30 so bad.

I miss mine so. loving. much. :(

OldMac I lust after: a fully loaded II ci. Those things were fuckin' pimp as poo poo.

Other Stevemachine I lust after:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

On the new Thunderbolt displays, are the magsafe/thunderbolt cable long enough to plug into the 13" MBA, or would I have to plug in the separate magsafe for the power?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Looks fine in these photos.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4832/the-apple-thunderbolt-display-review

That display was sort of created with the Air in mind, so I doubt Apple would gently caress that up.

Ah great... the photos on the Apple website showed the TB display connected up to the MBPs and the cable looked short.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I had a WD 2tb green caviar external drive that just died with no warning 5 months into service, losing 1.5tb of backups. Apparently this is a known problem due to lovely controllers (I have just found out) and I am going to hopefully get my drat money back instead of just rma'ing it for a replacement.

Anyway I am looking for a good RELIABLE replacement external hard drive and was wondering if there was consensus for the ones to look for.

Edit: just to clarify I'm running the latest version of Lion, and Disk Utility and DiskWarrior will not recognize the drive. I've even taken it out of it's housing and put it into another SATA enclosure. Apparently there is a chip on board the drive itself that is prone to catastrophic failure and damages the heads themselves. :waycool:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy... for the past few months I've been having an occasional problem with my mid-2011 13" MBA not coming back from sleep. I know it has a good amount of battery left, but I have problems ranging from taking ~2 minutes to come back from sleep to having to reboot the MBA completely. This happens at random times. The majority of the time all I'm using it for is Safari, iPhoto, Mail, TextEdit and iTunes (with occasional apps such as Word). It's running the latest version of Lion and has 4 gigs of Ram, plenty of room left on the SSD (I don't know if that matters in case Safari takes up tons of space on it as virtual memory). Has anyone else been encountering this? Should I be concerned?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I am not a genius but i think anything longer than 4-5 seconds is too long.

Yeah exactly. I was just wondering if anyone else has been encountering it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lazywhiteboy posted:

This would happen to me when i left a usb hub plugged in. Do you leave anything (hub, external drive, etc.) plugged in while it is asleep?

No nothing physically is plugged into it; it does run time machine in the background when I am at home to a wireless time capsule (the latest model). It's the only thing I can think of now that you mentioned things plugged in, but I've not noticed if my MBA is running TM when I close it to sleep.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy-
I have a 2011 MBA running the latest updates of Mavericks, and for the past few months, it's been having problems waking up from Sleep. Instead of opening my MBA and the screen lighting up and being ready to go almost immediately, sometimes it will take up to 2-3 minutes to wake up. Touching the trackpad or tapping keys does nothing to alleviate this, and around 1 in 50 times, it refuses to wake up at all and I have to hold the power key to reboot entirely.

Any clues to what is going on?

Edit: mid-2011 model 13" core i7 model with 4gb ram and a 256gb ssd.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 6, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've reset the PRAM just now and will reset the SMC in a moment, then keep an eye on things for the next couple of days. Thanks! If it continues I'll take it to fruit; I still have applecare on this unit until July. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there any way to downgrade macs to an older version of OSX than they shipped with? The update to Yosemite broke my wife's VPN software for her work, and the IT line's 100% official reply is that they don't support any Macs newer than 10.7. I guess this explains why most of her lab is running Snow Leopard, but I'm not sure where this leaves her with a 2014 Mac that shipped with Mavericks on it.

Go into Software Update and check the "Purchased" tab. In mine I have OS's going all the way back to Lion.

I'm not sure if it'll downgrade though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm a bit bummed about the non quad-core option on the new Minis. I have been considering getting one to drive a Cintiq. I suppose it'll still be fine, but I was hoping to really make it purr.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just replaced my 2011 MBA with a new i7 13" MBP with retina display, 16gb of ram and a 512gb SSD. Feels good, man. :frogc00l:

Now hopefully I'll be able to get that new Cintiq to hook up to this thing soon.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy howdy- I have a 13" retina MBP that I purchased new last April after they were refreshed. It's been going great and all, but within the past couple weeks, I've occasionally had situations where suddenly the built-in trackpad stops working, then a moment later the MBP freezes and I have to do a hard reboot. This can happen any time and doesn't seem to matter what is running at the time (Safari, Messages, whatever), and I DO have the machine hooked up to a Cintiq while I'm running Clip Studio, but it hasn't frozen with that until earlier today. I've got the latest versions of the magic trackpad and keyboard in my place, so occasionally my MBP will announce that it lost connection with them if I go to another room, although I doubt that would have anything to do with it.

I just ran the built in diagnostics and it said I need the battery fixed (luckily I checked now, I forgot to purchase applecare for my machine... caught just in time :v: ) so I have an appointment to have that done on thursday. Nonetheless, has anyone else been seeing these freezing problems on the 2015 models? It sounds more like a motherboard issue. I'm really worrying as I've had to restart the machine twice today, and this is my primary work machine.

Edit: I'm running 10.11.4, it's the i7 model with 16gb of RAM, stock 500gb SSD and the Iris 6100 GPU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

USB 3.0 is still having teething pains on OS X, IMHO.

You're not wearing any jewelry like rings or bracelets, are you?

I've setup Cintiqs on Mac Pros, never had an issue with them and their wacky USB / HDMI / power cable deal.

Is the laptop connected to a properly grounded three prong outlet?

Couldn't hurt to do both a PRAM / SMC reset. They're both different procedures.

Is there a battery warning that pops up in your battery/power icon? A flaky battery could cause other issues, because if your CPU determines there isn't enough power available, it'll automatically step down in speed until power available matches what's necessary.

The only times I get a battery warning is if the power is around 5% and it tells me that I need to plug the power in, but otherwise, none. No jewelry, and the problem happens regardless of if the cintiq is plugged in or not. I'll zap the PRAM, see i that helps anything.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mitztronic posted:

If you're still under the warranty you can still buy Applecare

Yeah I did after the call to support. I made myself a note to purchase it but never got around to it until today.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

isthisonetaken posted:

I've got the 13" i5/16/128 and I've been having crashes since the 11.4 betas came out. Usually in Safari for what it's worth. I was hoping it was just a beta thing but they're still happening.
One unadvertised feature of the new trackpads - they're a solid indicator of a system crash. No more waiting to see if the system will start responding again :/

Ha, true. I wasn't clear that this happens mostly with the built in tracked as well. :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A few weeks ago I started getting a somewhat frequent problem with my 2015 rMBP freezing and needing a hard restart. I put it in diagnostic mode and got the PPT004 error (battery needs servicing) and put it through PRAM resets, etc and took it in to the fruit stand. Their diagnostic tools couldn't find anything wrong except with the trackpad (which they replaced). All was well until today when the same problem started happening again, same diagnostic code showing up along with the freezing problem. I've got an appointment with the Genius Bar later this afternoon again. Other than saying "I need you to replace this battery no matter what your diagnostic tools say" is there any other way to get them to fix this? I can't afford to have my laptop die on me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ethanol posted:

I don't know about any of that but what was wrong with your trackpad?

It wouldn't be able to register clicks now and then. The tech said it was seated incorrectly so they just replaced it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Use your phone to take a picture of the PPT004 error and insist the battery be replaced. What could bring a delay is the fact that the battery, top case assembly and keyboard are all one unit and can't be ordered separately, and it's a bit of a job to switch out (more time consuming than complex.)

Also see if you can get a receipt that details exactly what they replaced- a lot of times they will just switch out the trackpad; there's also a flex cable that connects the trackpad to the keyboard, so they should replace that as well.

It's also possible (but rare) that the connector for the flex cable on the logic board is bad or the SMC is bad, in which case it'd be a logic board switch too. But you're still under warranty, right?

They also have to do a recalibration with a bunch of metric weights (necessary for all Force Touch pads) when they replace your pad, I wonder if they skipped it.

Yeah the touchpad works really good now (better than it had been) so that seems ok. I have the photo of the diagnostic screen, so yeah I'll do that. I'll look for the receipt, thanks. Also, yeah I purchased Applecare so this machine has another couple years of warrantee on it. I can reproduce the error code just by putting the mac into diagnostic mode again as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp, took my 2015 rMBP in and showed the genius the PPT004 error screenshot and he checked the records and noticed that I came in for the same error just a few weeks ago. He was baffled why the other crew didn't just have my battery swapped out at that time. Got my machine back in 3 days with a new battery and partially new body as well (replaced the main body surrounding the keyboard). A++++ would applecare again.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Like I said before, the top case assembly includes the keyboard and battery on that model. You cannot order them separately. See the iFixit take apart if you are wondering why.. the battery is bonded / glued to the top case. This has been the case for every rMBP model from Late 2013 to today.

Yes, it does mean you will never be able to replace *just* the battery on any current rMBP unless some third party gets creative somehow. The flip side is that these sealed batteries are 'self calibrating' and will not really need to be run down to nothing every month or so. I do it anyway and still have 93% capacity on my Late 2013 13-inch rMBP.

It is time consuming to change, maybe the techs on that shift were overwhelmed and hoped the problem would go away by itself.

Probably the same trackpad as before.

Wild. What's interesting is that the trackpad looks slightly more translucent than it did before. But you are probably right and my eyes are just being weird because the top case is brand new on it. I dunno. Nonetheless I'm really happy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Froist posted:

We have a ton of them at work for build and/or test machines; unfortunately we only got one of the quad-core i7s before they nerfed that option in an "update". Likewise though, I don't know anyone who owns one personally - NUCs are a far nicer form factor if you really want a small computer, though obviously not running OS X macOS. I'd probably buy a hypothetical coffee-cup style mini though..

I bought the 2012 model and it's been hooked up to my tv as a media station ever since.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There will undoubtedly be a headphone jack - lightning convertor connector available immediately but it still won't prevent people from getting mega butthurt over Apple doing this.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Still easier to say "phone fruit".

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Internet hated the first iPod even more than the first iPad. The Internet is stupid.

Also reminder that the first iPhone was lambasted for being "too big".

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I'm using a late 2013 rMBP for going on three years, can't find a reason to get a new one. Lightroom and PS with ~600MB images is the most work it sees.

I'd buy that instead of this new poo poo in a heartbeat.

Post Walt.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thank you. :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hopefully there won't be too many transition problems for Clip Studio Paint and Wacom Cintiqs.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Did I hear right? They finally upgraded the camera on the MBA?

I couldn't tell if it was that or they were saying due to the processor it's "better"

Ok a MINI sounds good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hopefully we'll be able to user-upgrade the RAM on the mini