Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bought a used second gen MacBook inexpensively last Monday. Was functioning fine until today, now I'm receiving a message that the battery is not charging. The old charge on the battery is still present for now, and it can be run on the power supply. Is it worth getting a new battery, or does the problem stem from another source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

My laptop's an older mid 2007 MacBook purchased for a dirt cheap price last year. I'ts recently developed problems connecting to certain wireless networks it used to be able to without issues. Fortunately, my home network (wpa2 encryption) still works great, but I haven't been able to connect to either my college's wpa network or my parents' wep network. I'm running Lion with all updates if it makes a difference. My iPhone works fine on these networks, so it would seem to stem from the laptop. Is there anything I could try to alleviate this issue?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I need a replacement battery for a 2007 13" MacBook, out of all the aftermarket batteries out there are any recommended either to get or to avoid?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

etalian posted:

Pretty much better off going with the Apple replacement program since reputable batteries from places such as OWC are around $80-$100.

Are the 40-50 dollar batteries really that terrible? Not sure how much money I want to sink into an old computer I paid $300 for 2 years ago.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ok, you guys have succeeded in steering me away from the cheap $40-$50 aftermarket Amazon/Ebay stuff, thanks for the input.

One of you mentioned OWC though, is their $90 battery supposed to be decent? That's still a considerable savings compared to $130 for the official Apple one.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Caged posted:

It's not the same laptop but I've had a 13" MBP for 4 years now and the screen is pretty much perfect still.

Again, not the same laptop but I have a six year old pre-unibody Macbook I bought a couple years ago cheap and while the case is beat to poo poo I'm amazed at how the screen is still in perfect condition.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Cross-posting between both threads, but god drat Mavericks :monocle:

It's really great to see improvements even on ancient hardware. Source.

I wish my ancient hardware would run it :smith:.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It looks like I'm going to have to replace my ancient Macbook. Is there any way to apply an education discount on a refurb?

Also, what if anything would be the disadvantages of going with a 2012 13" rMBP as opposed to a current 13" MBA? The battery life of either would be much, much better than what I'm used to so I'd definitely go with the rPro if hat's all I'd be losing.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 27, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thanks for the advice.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

**Whatever computer you end up picking- for the love of God, do not just buy the base model 128gb SSD/4gb RAM version because it's the cheapest. Do not, do not, do not. Do not base your usage expectations on the ancient hardware you're replacing because your usage will change once you get used to the new computer and then you'll be stuck with what you have. You think you'll be fine because your 2007-vintage Macbook's only got a 140gb HD and 2gb of RAM, but believe me, within a year or two you'll hit the wall and it will suck so bad. You might just amass more files or you might want to try to play a game or run Photoshop or do something else that your old Macbook couldn't do and it'll happen. You can't just bung more RAM in later and replacing the SSD on a MBA/rMBP is prohibitively expensive for a lot of people so just spend the extra $200 and nip that particular eventuality in the bud before it makes you want to replace your computer early.

This is actually a big reason why I'm considering the 2012 refurb because it comes with 8 GB instead of 4 like the stock Air or rMBP. I definitely want more than the maxed out 4 GB I have in my 6 year old broken laptop. If the new rMBP Pro came with 8 I'd just bit the bullet and spend the extra $150. I can live with the more limited storage and rely on USB HD storage when necessary.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ok, taking in mind what you guys are saying, does this 2012 MBA sound like a good deal at $925? Plan on taking a look at it Tuesday.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

porkface posted:

Personally, I think the i7 is antithetical to the MBA line. Not a bad deal though considering it's got the 8GB and 256 SSD.

What are the warranty options on that?

I guess I'd just have the remaining few months, which is the one thing that's putting me off from it. Wish there was a refurb 13" Air in the store.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Alright, my last laptop question.

I've narrowed it down to either a refurb 2012 13" Retina at $1059 or a new one upgraded to 8 GB of RAM which would be $1289 with the education discount.

Are there any reviews with a head to head comparison? The Iris Pro seems to definitely be a notable upgrade, but that's a little more than I'd ideally like to spend.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I just picked up my 13" RMPB with the 8 GB of RAM and the 256 GB SSD yesterday.

Incredible machine and I love using it so far. My only concern is how impossible it is to replace the SSD or anything else on it.

I've never owned a computer with a SSD before, how long should I expect it to last? Is there any chance of an aftermarket replacement drive being financially feasible if it breaks in 3-4 years due to the odd form factor?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

My cat who had ignored the Magsafe for my old laptop for years destroyed my Magsafe 2 within 48 hours.

Is going with the cheap 3rd party ones on Amazon a bad idea like it was for the old user replaceable batteries?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Real bad. They're cheap because they're either used or 'refurbished' (someone spit-shined each brick individually.) No 3rd party can legally manufacture MagSafes as its a proprietary Apple technology and Apple won't license it. Best place to get is probably (sigh) MacSales because they're nice enough to take back lovely adapters (sometimes) and they tell you up front that they're used and what condition they're in.

I still have a 60W Magsafe 1 from my old broken polycarb Macbook, any reason why using a Magsafe-Magsafe 2 converter would pose a problem?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

For the SSD, just check Storage under System Information.

If the model is designated as a Apple SSD SM****** it's a Samsung, TS****** if it's a Toshiba.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NecessaryEvil posted:

In Terminal, type this: ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

You may have an additional download for the command line tools, I did.

I found that on another site a couple days ago when I was looking into it myself, but even with the additional command line utilities installed it just returns
code:
@.`0 6
Color LCD
with no additional information.

Screen seems to be excellent quality regardless of manufacturer, so I guess I shouldn't really care.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've had a new 13" MBPr for a week and I have a couple questions on preserving a $1500 laptop.

1. Given how difficult and/or expensive it is to replace the battery, any guidelines I should follow on maximizing its useful lifespan? Never something I really worried about before since they used to be fairly easy and affordable to replace.

2. How concerned should I be about the computer getting noticeably hotter under heavy usage?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

New Retina Macbook Pros just came out last month and have the green "just updated" rating.

The regular Macbook Pro (the one with the optical drive and without the retina screen) hasn't been updated to the new Haswell chips and is probably getting phased out, which is why they do not recommend it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've been using an old 60 watt magsafe 1 with a converter on my 13" rMBP since my rear end in a top hat cat destroyed my original in 48 hours. It's been making ominous crackling noises for years and finally went on me. Is there any chance since this one's structually intact I'd be able to get a replacement at an Apple Store?

I thought I've read on this thread about people having luck getting old adaptors replaced. How should I approach them with this?

It's a shame it went, for whatever reason it was one of the few skinny wires my hellbeast never wanted to destroy.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

I've been using an old 60 watt magsafe 1 with a converter on my 13" rMBP since my rear end in a top hat cat destroyed my original in 48 hours. It's been making ominous crackling noises for years and finally went on me. Is there any chance since this one's structually intact I'd be able to get a replacement at an Apple Store?

I thought I've read on this thread about people having luck getting old adaptors replaced. How should I approach them with this?

It's a shame it went, for whatever reason it was one of the few skinny wires my hellbeast never wanted to destroy.

I was able to fix the adapter by replacing the old duckhead plug with attached cable with the one I got with my new laptop. Seems to be working fine now and it's not even making the crackling noises it used to. Just a note for anyone else with adapter issues.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I changed my rMBP to the scaled 1440x900 a couple days after buying it since the default just doesn't give enough real estate space. Looks great to me and blows any other display I've used out of the water.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I have a standard USB external HD formatted in exFAT since I use it on both a PC and a Mac. It's been a while since I've used it and while it was recognized by the PC just fine, I had to use the Disk Doctor utility to verify it before I could mount in on my rMBP. It seems to be working fine, is there probably some relatively minor problem with the drive?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The battery on my late 2013 rMBP seems to have gone down drastically.

It's currently showing as having only 3:00 of battery time remaining under current usage at 88% battery strength despite having the screen turned down and only Safar and basic OS functions open. Battery life under Battery Health is still at almost factory levels though.

Is there anything I'm missing? I know Apple's not going to do poo poo unless I can demonstrate a clear problem.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Sound is not disabled as you can use voice over in recovery. To enter recovery press cmd+r at boot (or opt+cmd+r if that doesn't work), then just adjust the volume with the keyboard.

They can actually test you battery, but if your battery isn't failing it is definitely your OS or something running. When was the last time you rebooted? As long as you're on 10.9 check the "energy impact" tab in activity monitor. See if anything is using a ton of memory of CPU. Make sure your OS is up to date.

How much poo poo do you have in your menu bar at the top right? How many apps launch at login, including ones you don't see launch?

Oh, I've checked that, it's showing clear. I made sure to basically strip away everything but the essentials to rule out something draining it at an abnormal rate.

I use the current version of 10.9, so it's not a weird beta issue either.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I just had to buy a new magsafe 2 power adaptor for my rMBP after the cord around the magnetic connector frayed.

I know this is a common problem, but I'd obviously like to avoid having to purchase any more $85 chargers. Are these things I found online actually worth anything?

http://thefrayfix.bigcartel.com/product/the-fray-fix-mini

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spilled some water on my late 2013 rMPB last Tuesday. The computer mostly recovered after drying with the exception of charging issues. The battery holds a charge and functions normally when running on battery power but I now have issues charging it. About 75% of the time when it's plugged in the computer recognizes that a power adapter's plugged in but it will not actually charge the battery. The rest of the time it seems to work fairly normally.

Took it to the Apple Store today for diagnosis and fortunately the logic board and non power related components all checked out. He recommended the installation of a new MagSafe 2 board for $130 including labor. He said that if it didn't work they'd have to send it in to a repair center for >$400 and I certainly wouldn't bother with that on a 4 year old computer.

It's certainly worth the $130 to me if it actually works, but what do you guys think the chances are it actually solves the problem? Hate to spend the money if it doesn't actually work.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I need a new 13" MacBook Pro, not a fan of the lack of useable ports on the current models but none of the PC laptops I've seen appeal to me and half have the same problem.

It's basically between a base model model on the refurb store with a 512 GB SSD or the one with the touchbar and what I'd gather is a faster processor and better graphics capabilites with a 256.

two vs four ports is irrelavant now as I'd need a hub regardless but I might be pissed not to have two extra in the future if they'd actually become useful at some point.

Is the upgraded processor/graphcs processor actually better? the benchmarks I've seen seem to rate the two computers fairly equally. What do you guys with the touchbar think of it?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The more i've read I'm almost certain I'm going with the touchbar model, now just need to decide on color.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What are you planning to use the ports for? The philosophy behind fewer better ports is that you should be doing almost everything wirelessly unless you need a superfast connection.

hard drives/flash drives mostly, but I also occasionally use a mouse with a usb dongle for certain things. I'll be able to make it work with a hub but it's annoying to have to use one to transfer a file to or from a flash drive.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Dongles aren't that annoying with USB hard drives but for flash drives or wireless mouse receivers, they're annoying.

My biggest complaint is that this piece of poo poo:

Doesn't work with most external HD's

What USB 3.0'hub would you guys recommend? Being able to use a USB 3.0 hard drive is very important

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Disclaimer: That thing still doesn't work with a hub

The Apple USB-C to USB thing works perfectly, but you of course then can't charge or use your monitor on that USB-C port

ugh, so I need to get the one that's just one individual port? I'm fine with losing a port since I'd be getting a version with four, but I'd like to be able to use two USB A devices at once

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i have a 2017 mbp that still works other than a trashed screen. is there any way i could give it to my parents to use with their 2010 imac seeing as a monitor? i know this would work if it was one year newer but that’s basically the last one without target display mode

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i miss the connector itself but i'm also glad the cord is no longer integrated with the power brick. would get expensive when a cat chewed it or it just eventually frayed from heavy use/transport

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

"Service Recommended: The battery is performing normally, but its ability to hold a charge is less than when it was new. You may want to consider replacing the battery."

this is a 2019 13' mbp i've had for 11 months and i have applecare. can i get a free battery?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

If it hasn’t been a year you don’t even need AppleCare. They will replace it free.

What does coconut battery show? I’m just curious as to the cycles and percentage.

this is my fourth macbook and the only one i ever received that message with before was one of the old white polycarb base models that had user serviceable batteries

Thauros fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 15, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shy posted:

Will 256GB be enough to install Windows in addition to macOS if Microsoft surprises everyone and releases an arm license? I'm waiting to buy the base Air (still not available in Ukraine), not very interested in getting pricier builds because I'd like to see what they release next year.
Also why do I see so many people installing Chrome on macs?

chromecasting and media streaming. mostly use safari for work or if i'm browsing unplugged for long periods, firefox for personal, and chrome for video.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

spilled a small amount of water on my computer this morning. everything seems normal except the sound. the mac startup chime which came back for me with the last catalina update plays as normal but i can't get sound to play in any program.

i've had this happen to me before but it was fixed with a restart. is there anything i might be possibly missing given that the internal speakers are clearly able to play sound or am i probably hosed?

edit: the notification sound when a power cable is plugged in works as well

edit 2: sound is functioning again. while this is a relief obviously i did not change any software or configuration settings to fix the issue and would love to know what could've caused it or if there's anything to directly do to rectify it if or when this happens again in the future. this wasn't the first time and there was no accident that could've possibly caused the other incidents.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 20, 2021

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

my refurb 2019 four port mpb has worked flawlessly other than being stuck with only 8 gigs of ram as that was the only option. would love to be able to pay $150 and double that. it was replaced through work after my old one got damaged there and at the time i felt lucky to have one of the last of the intels. didn't think the m1s would be that good that quick and i'd love a base 14'' rn for the keyboard alone. at least mine is noticeably better than my old 2017....

Thauros fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 12, 2022

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

frogbs posted:

Are the M1 Macbooks any better about bluetooth/Airpod connectivity than a 2015 Macbook Pro? My Airpods connect to my Macbook maybe 20% of the time. They're great with anything iOS though. If it's a Macbook thing, might be the thing that gets me to upgrade now vs. waiting for the fall..

i have a 2019 macbook pro and my now discontinued beats solo pro headphones with the same h1 chip as the airpods connect fine every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

they still have an intel mac mini on the regular consumer online store as well