Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I keep bouncing between getting the 13" MBA and the 13" MBP both of them in their I7 config's

I think for the same price as the MBA upgraded I can get the MBP With an SSD..

I'm going to be using this primarily for design work, and coding via SSH, with the possibility of playing Diablo 3 but also using it to control Serato Scratch Live and work in Abelton Live

Harddrive space isn't really a concern since I use the cloud like crazy ..

I will be lugging it between my place and the club a bit ...

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Do you need 8GB RAM? Can you live with 1280x800? Do you need Firewire? Do you need an optical drive? Those questions decide if you should get the Air or the Pro.

You already said you don't care about the HD space, and you can always get a USB ethernet adapter (but you'll only have one port left)

If you're going to plug into an external monitor at home, and don't mind having 5 hours of battery life instead of 7, get the 11" (you will lose the SD card slot if you care about it)
. It's a better 'to go' machine than either 13".

Yeah there's no way I'll get an 11" machine.. 15" is too big, so 13" is perfect.

So to answer your questions;

1.) Yes I can 2.) Ahahaa no 3.) Possibly however burning disk's can be done via my HTPC.

I don't like external monitors, I need to be portable, as I work and live internationally.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I've had my 2011 MBA 13' for about 3 months now... and according to istatpro my battery is at 89% health and dropping.. Now im curious is istatpro wrong? or is my battery losing capacity at a faster than normal rate?

I'm using it on charge a bunch, but i'm taking the laptop off charge and running it on batteries as much as i can. I've never had a battery lose 11% capacity in 3 months before. That seems awfully fast to me.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Try coconutBattery. Sometimes the health goes up and down randomly, I don't know whats up with that.

How many cycles do you have on that thing?

Coconutbattery says I have 92% capacity, and 165 cycles

Bob Morales posted:

How long does it last?

I get around 4-6 hours on it... 6 hours of webbrowsing, with the screen under half brightness, and when at work i get about 4 hours of programming and photoshop work using a dual monitors...

So all in all very good lengths of time.. Just I was curious if istatpro is wrong.. which it looks to be

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

If the fonts are rendered 'right', in theory you could just zoom out to 50% and it'd be all good, right?

Yes in theory,

Most of the problem i have when I'm coding is resolution of text, the smaller the font, the slightly harder it becomes to make out things clearly BECAUSE of low PPI ... I'm positive that higher PPI will solve this.

I say this because i have a 2011 MBA, and also a 27" 1080p work monitor. When coding on the 13" monitor the fonts are clearer at smaller sizes because of the higher PPI on my 13" air compared to the 27" monitor.

Sometimes its plain horrible to use that monitor, the PPI is just HORRIBLE.

Bob Morales posted:

I'm really, really anxious to see an iFixIt teardown of this.

I wonder how many chips are on the other side? Is that SSD or RAM in the middle?

It's ram, also to its lower right is the harddrive and it looks built INTO the motherboard... so goodbye upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Oh I know that. He's saying it should be regular 15" MBP pricing. $1799 for that machine would be giving it away.

Because paying $500 extra for a retina display, extra memory, a SSD, an extra thunderbolt, and a hdmi port is a great deal