Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
The keyboard and trackpad just stopped working on my mid-2011 macbook air. I was using the trackpad when it stopped responding (the OS still working fine)

I rebooted by holding the power key and still nothing, I'm having to use a USB keyboard and mouse now..

This sucks.

edit: reset the PRAM and SMC and now it's working.. very strange, I hope it doesn't happen again :(

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I suddenly remembered my macbook air has an SD card slot and was thinking about grabbing a 32GB card for extra storage, but I don't want to deal with it sticking out the side permanently.

Does anyone know of a shorter SD Card I can buy?

Some people have had success cutting up those SD to microSD adaptors which have a usb port on them, like this:
http://images.tradekool.com/80898800/Micro-Sd-Trio-3-In-1-Adaptor.jpg

Apparently you just chop of the USB plug and fire it in to your SD card slot, and it sits flush!

Might have a go at this unless anyone has any better suggestions?

edit: Thread on macrumors about it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206894&page=1

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 8, 2012

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Neurophonic posted:

I might be acting stupidly here, but if it's perfectly flush, isn't it going to be a bitch to remove?

It could be, but the way I see it is that as long as it is possible to remove (with tweezers or something) then it's good, as I never use that port and want permanent storage.

One guy in that thread solved this problem by putting a tab on the card which can tuck away inside the port. Still looks flush and you can pull it out easily too!

I'm in Australia so I can see it being a bitch to find one of those cards, no idea if dealextreme ship here.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Uh-Oh. My MBA (last-gen, about a year old) is reporting "Service Battery". Should I be worried?

Coconut Battery is reporting 79% capacity

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

carry on then posted:

Not worried. Set up an appointment an Apple store to have it looked at. That happened to me (though I have a 2010 Pro) and they ran a test that said the battery had gone bad and replaced it under AppleCare.

Cheers, I will do. I don't have AppleCare but it's just under a year old so hopefully they'll help me anyway.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

quadratic posted:

My MBA is taking ~25 seconds to wake from deep sleep and get to a point where I can enter the password. Is that normal? This is a 2011 running Mountain Lion.

Mine does this too, it was near instant on Lion but since upgrading to ML it's been really slow. I might try disabling the login screen to see if that makes any difference!

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
We should try to get the mini-fridge rumour on to gizmodo, engadget, etc..

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

InstantInfidel posted:

It's taking a significant amount of willpower not to sell all of my current crop of gear and pick up a Thunderbolt display and a 13" rMBP :(

The thunderbolt display has been out for a while I think, maybe it's due for a refresh? I can see them adding USB3 at some point, though retina at that size is probably not possible yet :(

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I hate that the new MagSafe connectors stick out so much, drat things falls out constantly.

I much preferred this style:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I just spilled a tiny bit of coffee on my rMBP's trackpad.. I got it cleaned up quickly but the trackpad started going haywire with the cursor moving and clicking by itself.

I've pulled the power and shut it down and it's now sitting upside down with a fan blowing on it..

Gonna leave it like that until tomorrow, hopefully it's not dead :( Anything else I can do?

edit: seems fine so far, fingers crossed..

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 18, 2013

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

mediaphage posted:

Absolute number one pet peeve about the damned thing. Drives me bonkers.

Same here. It's impossible to use it on a soft surface such as a bed or sofa without it falling out constantly. The slim connector on my Air is SO much better.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I visited the offices of a company I've been working with this week and had the pleasure of plugging my rMBP in to a cinema display - So nice having all that space to work with, just a shame it's not retina. I was gonna pick up a thunderbolt display but they've not updated them in a long rear end time.

I actually impulse bought a 27" iMac this morning instead only to cancel the order a few hours later after doing some research and realising they'll be updated to Haswell real soon. Hopefully the expected september 10 event brings either a new iMac or updated TB display!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
My 15" Retina MBP has been getting super hot recently, iStat menus reported the CPU die was at 93c with 10% CPU load, and I've seen it get to 105C under moderate load.

I'm in Australia (currently around 30c) so I expected slightly higher temps than the reports I've seen online, but that seems a little excessive..

edit: Reset the SMC and it's not gotten above 54c yet, fingers crossed.. my legs can't take much more of this :D