Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

If you have a .edu email; bestbuy has rather marked down prices on rMBP. I picked up a new 15/16/256 model for $1799 which ended up beating anything I could find in Apple's inventory with 16gb RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Any word on how the OLED bar will work in BootCamp with Windows 10?

I need a new Windows 10 capable laptop; and its either the new MBP, or Surface Book. I'm pretty agnostic about the ports situation, so it boils down to "will the OLED bar be annoying in Windows?".

If its just a plain F1-F12 bar; thats fine I guess, but confirmation would be most ideal - nowhere seems to have definitive info.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks guys!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

whoops; this is the hardware thread

Walked fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 24, 2018

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone actually done the RAM upgrade on the 2018 Mac Mini?

Curious to hear feedback on it before I dig in on the process.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cool. Just ordered 32gb.

Shouldn't be too bad based on that

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

japtor posted:

Yeah it's not that big of a deal. Main thing to be careful about is the cables, I saw someone on Reddit or somewhere pull the whole fan cable header off the board. Antenna cable pops off easily enough, while the main power cable took a bit of force. And I think I saw some YouTuber break off some tiny capacitor but he did a full teardown.

I pulled the drives in my old 2011 and thought that was more annoying, although part of that was having no clue how I pulled the board out last time since I don't think I ever had the logic board pry tool, and couldn't find thin enough screwdrivers this time. I ended up using a paperclip and hoping it'd stay straight enough to push the board out.

Confirmed; just finished up the 32gb upgrade on the 2018 Mini. Took about 15min start to finish; not bad at all. Helps if you've ever touched the insides of a laptop before.

Tweezers would have been nice; but otherwise easy going.

edit: and drat; the performance difference is so nice; I'm running a bunch of poo poo in parallels and it's a stark and immediate difference.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Must be specific input devices, we've been recording a podcast on a 2018 MBP and a 2018 mini with Behringer interfaces via USB 2 and we haven't had issues.

Same interface; no issues.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

drat it. I was planning to hold off on the first gen M1 chips but everything looks so fuckin compelling.

Ahhhhhghhhhhh

I might just order a 16gb RAM Pro.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The M1 is absolutely nuts. The performance feels like the biggest leap since the introduction of SSDs.

drat. I just need Docker and Golang ported and we're in business. Until then I might just use Parsec over to my desktop because the battery is unreal.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Totally Huge posted:

So I have a small Go app I am developing, my dev machine is a raspberry pi. I was looking into building an arm64 binary on that dev machine to try running on my M1 MBA but I couldn't get it to compile. I compiled an amd64 Darwin version and it runs just fine in the stock Terminal (as an Intel app). I guess even terminal apps will launch through Rosetta? I'm not sure why that shocked me, but it did. I had copied the Terminal.app to make a second Rosetta'd version but it doesn't really seem necessary now. Cool.

Install go with rosetta
then

code:
git clone [url]https://go.googlesource.com/go[/url] # patches are now in master
cd src
arch --x86_64 env GODEBUG=asyncpreemptoff=1 GOOS=darwin GOARCH=arm64 ./bootstrap.bash
Then extract the archive and replace your go binaries.
M1 golang is fine _so far_ for me.

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/42684

edit: SA is autotagging the url in the code block for some reason, remove those obviously

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Has anyone tried to push 4k /120hz on an M1 mini?

Someone tell me it works so I can dump my windows desktop

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Speaking of - I need a new dock; I have an Elgato that’s decent but OOS everywhere now

Need something for an M1 for displays, power, and USB. Nothing fancy otherwise

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

Displays? M1 devices only support one external display at a time. Besides that, I’m very happy with the Anker 11-in-1 USB-C Dock, but that might already be a bit overkill for most purposes.

Just a typo - already have an M1 and very familiar.

I’ll check out the Anker thanks!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The issue is I need two docks - I work multiple consulting roles and keep my personal hooked up at one desk and then need another for swapping out contract-specific systems (it’s dumb but at a certain point $200 for convenience is worth it)

Edit: and to clarify for asking one of the docks I’ve tried didn’t play well with the M1 but was fine with intel Macs - which is why I’m asking for a rec

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ahobday posted:

I've got a Magic Keyboard, and it seems like every morning it's unresponsive.

If I tap any keys, nothing happens. If I turn it off and on again with the power switch, those key presses will go through all at once, so clearly the keyboard is connected and listening. It's also listed as "Connected" in the Bluetooth settings. The Magic Mouse is responsive, so it doesn't seem like a Bluetooth issue.

Once it does connect, it's fine for the rest of the day. As far as I know my Mac isn't set to go to sleep - I just turn my monitor off so the computer is sitting there, awake, all night.

Anyone seen this before? I've got an M1 Mac Mini.

I'm having the same behavior but with my USB Keyboard. Seriously one of the most frustrating things. Have not found a fix yet. :(

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man. I love my M1 so fuckin much. It's a beast of a laptop that really executes perfectly.

But sometimes I need Windows for work and Bootcamp was GREAT for this (infrequent need; could spin up the partition using virtualization when I only need a light-touch thing).

Now I have to debate buying an obsolete overpriced Mac or running the M1 side by side with a desktop. And I hate both options.

Just a minor vent. Really I'll probably just run both side-by-side and be fine enough. But I still hate it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Have you tried Parallels with ARM Windows? It works remarkably well unless you need something with kernel-level drivers that aren't available in ARM.

(fair warning about the licensing bit with insider builds and stuff, but it might be worth checking out before you spend $$$ on a spare machine)

Yeah performance wasn’t up to snuff on an M1 MBP

That would have been great and probably will be legit viable in like 1-2 years though

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I've heard https://parsec.app/ is supposed to be good if you need a client for that, I guess I know what I am testing today

Parsec is the best remote product I’ve ever used. Unfortunately I had an issue with driver incompatibility where it would periodically crash my Windows box

Just started a new Intel build so I’m hoping that one won’t crash anymore

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

M1 Max

:psyduck:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

No mention of the MAX price premium?

$LOTS

hth

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

$2900 for a 14" with M1Max, 32gb, and a 512gb SSD. Seems somewhat reasonable

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

they need a $500 machine that can play triple A games

someone else succinctly capture this: it's the iphone

why bother with a console when the iphone app store covers the profit they'd generate here with no actual investment from apple?

otherwise they'd have to actually focus on hardware for it, engineering time, pay for exclusives, etc.
Why would they bother?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man.

I was gonna hold on the Max but I’m thinking I might have to pick up a 16” Max

drat it

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Dont explicitly need it, but got a base 16"; delivery for tomorrow (too tied up today to grab it).

Super pumped; will see good use even if not strictly "necessary"

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The build notes on this 16" M1 Pro is loving great.I love the perception of the inceased heft. The screen is GREAT.

We'll see about the rest; but the general "Feel" is 100% on the money

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Yeah. After an afternoon of using the M1 Pro 16" this is the first time in my entire life I've felt like I'm using a truly "device of the future"; its always been so incremental (SSD notwithstanding)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone else sensitive as gently caress to visual stuff also getting migraines from the new M1 Pros?

I picked up a 16" and have been in love. Had a migraine for the first time in a month+ the day it was delivered. Today (the next day), it has happened again immediately after I got about an hour into using it.

Have tried different configurations on refresh rate/brightness/etc

I spend a LOT of time in front of screens (professionally) and have my migraines really, really well under control nowadays so something has changed and the Macbook Pro is unfortunately the most obvious. Gut says either subtle bloom and/or PWM flicker is the root cause, but I'm mostly just bullshitting that.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BetterSnapTool is solid and very cheap for snapping / hot edges

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Until I got this MBP, I hadn't realized how sluggish the Intel ones were. Even my 2017 from work feels slow now.

It’s not just Intel macs that feel sluggish - it’s everything. All of it. Every single other computer feels laggy in comparison

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The Grand Central Fruit Stand has **NO** 16-inch M1 Pros in stock and only 8 core 14-inchers.

The nice Fruit Lady said I would have better luck 'online' :rolleyes: rather than sending me on a ragtag wandering quest across the NYC hellscape

Another guy suggested I try NJ or Staten Island..

The North Jersey Microcenter had a bunch in stock the other day, fwiw

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Hi thread, aside from iPhones, this is my first time dipping in toward buying Apple hardware. How good is the Mac Mini M1 base model for media editing?

It's okay. I think that starts at 8gb so youll be memory limited.

I'd really try to get a base M1 Pro so you're on a higher end processor + more RAM at baseline, but the Mini will probably do you just fine. If youre editing 4k video or really insane photos, I'd reconsider. But some Photoshop/Lightroom/1080p editing? My initial M1 was totally fine with.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Sorry, yeah, photos, video, and audio. Like, I've heard good things, but would it rival or outperform a similarly priced PC?

E:

Yeah, nothing too crazy. I'm on a budget but looking to advance my editing skills from beginner-ish to intermediate, but my current PC laptop struggles a bit with running even Photoshop.

I'd say the M1 Mini, but try to find a 16gb specimen or save a bit for an M1 14/16 Pro

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

My guess is they won't put the Pro/Max into the Mini and save that for the iMac Pro or Mac Pro updates. The Mini will get whatever they put in the next Macbook Air.

Nah they’re just gonna release a Mini Max featuring the M1 Pro

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

M1 Pro / 16gb vs 11600k / 64gb

The M1 is absolutely demolishing my desktop for editing. It’s insane. Lightroom is obscenely different in editing, importing, and exporting speeds

It’s not as noticeable on 24mp shots; but 50mp shots it’s INSANE and I don’t think I can keep editing on my desktop anymore

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

I do this all day long. No idea what you’re talking about. It was fine even at 60hz on my previous Macbook Pro. Are you some how suggesting you can read as fast as cat outputs but some how your screen just can’t keep up?

Hard to think of a use case for scrolling through huge docs trying to read everything when you’re probably meant to be hitting cmd+f anyway.

My guess based on the description is probably bloom being an issue (which it is for me too in this situation) but the display is still great and GREAT for the video/photo stuff I do

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

For those trying I was just able to make an apple store app purchase of a base studio for pickup around lunch.

Seems to have just gone live locally at least

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whoa. Sidecar rules. Using the iPad as a second monitor (and always having a second monitor with me) is gonna be a game changer

Same. I've mostly ignored it as I've been docked pretty much all through Covid, but now I'm on the go a bit more and sidecar was a revelation for my own workflow. Unfortunately its also making me want to go from 11" --> 12.9" Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

It’s the only apple product I didn’t get Apple care on in the last 5+ years.

But I also have an MBP under coverage so if I’m down I’m not DOWN DOWN.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯