Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

ilifin posted:

And yes this is mostly because the browser is so extremely slow and for some reason demands to spin up my USB drives (which are only used for Time Machine) every single time I open a tab. This spinup takes a minute and locks up Finder and some other things while doing it, so you can imagine how annoying it is.

Use what works for you, but I'm pretty sure no one else has that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The guy also installed a new optical drive :colbert:

And why do optical drives break so much goddamn they suck poo poo. Just ship desktops with the external drive from now on, Apple.

They're working on that.

gregday
May 23, 2003

brc64 posted:

One of you was joking about hoping that my wife doesn't ask for a Thunderbolt Cinema Display, but just for kicks I looked online at them. Is that 27 inch beast the only size display they sell anymore!?

Correct. After messing with a 27" iMac I love the display on it so much I am considering getting a 27" ACD for my MacBook Pro.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Is it not possible to connect the new ACD to my older gen MacBook Pro? I have a unibody with Mini-DisplayPort, but even though the Thunderbolt cable on the new ACD uses a Mini-DisplayPort styled connector, it won't work without me having an actual Thunderbolt port? Do I have that right?

gregday
May 23, 2003

That clears it up, thanks. I did not realize the ACD was still available, and I assumed the Thunderbolt Display was the only display available. Didn't make sense that the current selling display wouldn't work with the current Mac Pro.

gregday
May 23, 2003

For heat management, is is better to run my 27" Cinema Display from my MacBook Pro's dedicated or 'onboard' GPU? The fans are kicking full blast almost every minute I have it connected and I think that can't be good.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

MD831LL/A – MBP 15.4/2.7/16GB/768GB FLASH-USA

My white whale.

gregday
May 23, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Eager enough to pay the rumored $4000 asking price?

That's probably the Australian price.

gregday
May 23, 2003

They have softened the edge since the first release.

http://www.marco.org/media/2011/09/macbook-pro-sharp-edges.jpg

gregday
May 23, 2003

BlueTesla posted:

Just to make sure: The old C2D MacBooks will NOT be upgradable to ML, correct?

I have a C2D MacBook Pro running the WWDC build of Mountain Lion.

gregday
May 23, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Magnesium will be hilarious when it overheats :supaburn:

Weren't NeXT computers magnesium?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Sharrow posted:

Are there any particularly good stands for the rMBP?

Bootcamp gaming is burning the tips of my fingers; I might try elevating it and sliding an external keyboard underneath instead.

Edit: an open stand so I can still use the screen, not a vertical stand like the BookArc.

The Rain mStand is the only one you should be considering.

http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html

gregday
May 23, 2003

Hermi On Me posted:

I never understand people who buy a Mac just to out windows on it. Surely there are great windows laptops at half the price. Apple doesn't even put put that great drivers to get the best out of their hardware in windows.

As someone who has the 15" rMBP for work, it's awesome, although admittedly I use it for video/photo work which is pretty much what they advertise to do with it. I do have a Win7 virtual machine though for the off chance I need windows.

I have a client that's a law firm that buys MacBook Pros and iMacs for the partners, while the subordinates get cheap lovely PCs. And yet, they just put Windows (XP!) on the Macs. We tried getting them to use OS X, starting with the senior partner, but it was a non-starter due to exactly one retarded thing.

Somehow, a long time ago, they got it in their heads that the way to open a file, any file, on their computers was via Microsoft Word. It goes like this:
-Start the day, open Word.
-File -> Open -> Change file type to "All"
-Browse network shares to find the file you're looking for, say a PDF.
-Right click, on that file, hit "Open" from the contextual menu. It opens in Acrobat.
-See! I open all my files in Word! :downs:

Repeated explanations as to the illogic of this were completely fruitless. This is the way they've done it for years and nothing is going to change them. And the senior partner couldn't make this workflow happen in OS X, so it was wiped and replaced with XP.

gregday
May 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

:ughh:

It's a shame I wasn't born 100 years later. I'm sure there will still be absurdly stupid poo poo going on in 2112 (hopefully nothing involving priests telling us music is a waste of time) but at least by that point there will be no one alive who didn't grow up with computers and maybe, hopefully, we'll all have developed some basic competency with managing files.

If iOS and the push to make the filesystem a transparent abstraction are any indication, I would say never going to happen. People are not getting any better at managing filesystems. It's just that they are needing to less and less.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

There used to be an app called Caffeine that did this.

http://www.cultofmac.com/69189/50-mac-essentials-21-caffeine/

look into the new mountain lion command line utility "caffeinate"

gregday
May 23, 2003

Get a Square reader and the Square Register iPad app. You can list items and basically make the iPad into a POS device. It's pretty boss.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Upgraded to a fully maxed out 16GB/768GB SSD 15" Retina MBP this weekend, coming from a 2009 unibody MBP. Holy hell it is so fast it feels fake. Like I don't actually believe that's my data on there. And I've been continually astonished at how fast stuff from Homebrew is building. I feel like a jerk for not going SSD earlier.

I'm using the highest resolution setting available because I love tiny text and want as much space as possible. What's the actual resolution in numbers for that?

gregday fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 4, 2013

gregday
May 23, 2003

flavor posted:

Makes me think of a MAC address and it's right up there with calling a computer a "CPU". I regard people who do that as idiots.

The cosmetics company is funny and probably operated by trolls, I particularly like their "Mac Pro": https://www.maccosmetics.com/macpro/index.tmpl

There's also this:

The Air price drop is nice. Tim Cook has been working for years to get prices down without compromising on quality. The old chestnut about Apple hardware being sold only at luxury prices is just not true anymore.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Will the power extension cord for a 2013 MBP work on the power adapter for a new USB-C MBP bought today?

gregday
May 23, 2003

gregday
May 23, 2003

I'm feeling like it's time to replace my 27" Cinema Display (not even Thunderbolt) with the Pro Display XDR. I absolutely do not need a reference-monitor-quality display, and it would be a tremendous waste of money for me, but dammit I still want it. I can live with the lack of a camera on it, but I hate to lose the speakers built into my 27" Cinema.

I haven't had discrete computer speakers in uh... a very long time. What's everyone recommend that's on the medium-high end? It'd be great if they were entirely USB-C, but I so far haven't found such a thing.

gregday
May 23, 2003

lol

lmao

gregday
May 23, 2003

Getting a Hermès AirTag so it can track itself as an anti theft measure.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Panzarino saying the new TouchID keyboard doesn’t work with non M1 Macs. I wonder if it’s because the keyboard has its own Secure Enclave for fingerprint derived data and they need something in the M1 to establish a secure chain of custody.

EDit: rather, it works, just without the Touch ID feature.

gregday fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 21, 2021

gregday
May 23, 2003

Considering the MagSafe isn’t really a new adapter but more a USB-C cable with MagSafe on one end, anyone know if these machines can still charge with the TB ports?

gregday
May 23, 2003

16” M1 Max 64GB 4TB ordered. YOLO I guess?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy poo poo dude congrats and all but wowzers what a price to pay lol

I bought a Pro Display XDR last year for home use lmao

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/drewhamlin/status/1450278038168485888

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/MichaelSteeber/status/1450858608049152006

gregday
May 23, 2003

These designs were baked in long before Jony left.

gregday
May 23, 2003

What happens with the notch and menubar for those of us who like to crank the resolution way up and have a tiny menubar?

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://topnotch.app

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/jsngr/status/1453341112635166720

gregday
May 23, 2003

Why has Migration Assistant, which is using the TB cable that came with my Pro Display XDR and logged a transfer rate of 1555MB/s at one point, now slowed to 6.1MB/s when going from my 2018 15” MBP to a new 16” M1 Max MBP?

gregday
May 23, 2003

After claiming ~8 hours for Migration Assistant to finish, it suddenly wrapped up after a total running time of around 5 hours. I did have a lot of git repos and homebrew stuff, as well as about 90GB music and 150GB video.

I am probably just scarred by things like this never working in the bad old days, but I am beyond impressed with Migration Assistant. Not just accounts, apps, docs, and settings all moved, but also all the fiddly Unix poo poo I’ve tweaked over the years. Major hats off to the team at Apple that seriously cares about making upgrading smooth.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I ordered within 15 minutes after the event ending and mine showed up yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

lmao

https://www.macworld.com/article/563025/dell-xps-13-plus-touch-bar-macbook.html