Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've only had my MacBook Air for the past 6 months and I've already ordered a Sand Bridge model. It's definitely worth trading up for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A lot, especially under load when Turbo Boost kicks in.

What's the general consensus on i5 vs. i7 in terms of performance? I didn't get it, so I guess it doesn't matter much to me, but my buddy just ordered a decked out 13" MBA with the i7 and 256GB SSD.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really hope Dell utilizes ThunderBolt with DaisyChaining in their next refresh of displays. While that feature is great, it's definitely not worth $1000 to me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't want to start a huge "OMG my _____ shipped", but has anyone's MacBook Air shipped from Apple.com yet? For some reason they're shipping the $100 gift card separately.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 22, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

NoDamage posted:

Anyone have a good case/bag recommendation for the 13" MacBook Air? I'm looking for something fairly lightweight that can handle holding the MBA, charger, digital camera, backup drive, and a few other things. Preferably something that doesn't scream, "hey I'm carrying an expensive laptop around come steal me!"

How much are you looking to spend?

Timbuk2:
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/

Tom Bihn (I own this, I like it):
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0223

SFBags:
"Air Wallet" (You can add a strap to it):
http://www.sfbags.com/products/macbookair-wallet/macbookair-wallet.php

"Muzetto" (aka ridiculously expensive but oh-so-nice):
http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

---

I got the Tom Bihn bag as a birthday gift last year and I'm happy with it. If I didn't mind dropping a chunk of change, I think I'd go with the Muzetto though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The guy also installed a new optical drive :colbert:

And why do optical drives break so much goddamn they suck poo poo. Just ship desktops with the external drive from now on, Apple.

Does anyone know if the external optical drives are prone to failure as much as the internal drives?

I can't even think of the last time I've needed an optical drive but it would be convenient to have one for the rare occasion.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

They lowered prices a little though it took over a decade of waiting

I think we paid close to $2500 for our 333 MHz Pentium 2 with 4GB of hard drive space and a DVD drive.

...that was only 14 years ago. I feel old.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sinestro posted:

A 17" will fit in my Bag of Holding, and I take it with me everywhere, so is there any reason that I should skip the chance for glorious 1920x1200?

You can get a 21.5" iMac ($1200 base model) and a 13" Macbook Air ($1300) for the price of a 17" MacBook Pro.

Do you really need that kind of performance when you're on the go? The iMac would be faster and the MacBook Air would be more portable than the 17" MacBook Pro. Throw on Dropbox + iCloud syncing and you wouldn't really have to worry about syncing things across the devices.

Hell, if you'd be willing to drop $200 more, you could even get a 27" iMac and a 11" MacBook Air.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 5, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If I have a NTFS formatted drive attached to a wireless router that shares it out via SAMBA, I can access it in OS X, correct?

Would having it formatted as NTFS slow down read/write to it, or would the router be the bottleneck?

I'm looking to pick up a new router (ASUS RT-N56U or Airport Extreme) and I'm leaning toward to the ASUS because of the web interface and uPnP functionality.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What time of networking protocol does the Airport Extreme use when sharing a USB attached drive to a windows device? Will I be able to access a HFS+ formatted drive from a Windows based computer? Does the drive format matter?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I love my 27" iMac and iPad setup. That said I'd avoid the TB display because it's not really a good value. You can get a refurbished 27" iMac which has the same display for $1269, just a little more than the cost of just the display.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27?mco=MjEwNzM3NDE

27" iMacs have IPS panels?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

This is probably old news but I picked up a Powercurl from https://www.quirky.com to go with my 11" Air, to help keep the power cable under control. I really like it. It fits around the brick part of the power cord, and it gives you an extra clip for the fat power cord, so you can wrap both cords up and clip them all in place to throw in a bag or whatever.

I'm really annoyed with the fact that they don't have one in white.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Speaking of cool new hardware, Apple really needs to release a Bluetooth wireless keyboard with black keys that illuminate at night.

It seems like a no brainer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

KingEup posted:

The My Passport Studio boasts an all aluminium enclosure and two FireWire 800 ports. Use the second FireWire port to daisy chain an additional drive.

I'll take 10. But seriously, how many can I daisy chain before bus power is insufficient?

Now we just need one of those Thunderbolt docks with Firewire 800 built in!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kalix posted:

With so many of you with the new Macbook Airs, how many of you are using it as a primary machine?

I'm still saving for a nicer external display, but my 2010 has been still holding steady in that regard...no major processing happening though.

I've always been tempted by the iMac but I almost feel it would be redundant - they just look awesome :fap:

Only downside is I feel that Mission Control is slower than spaces and Expose ever was. Not sure if that's just me.

I've been using a MacBook Air as my primary machine since December (originally bought the 13" C2D, upgraded to the i5 when it was released) and I'm 100% happy with it. There haven't been any instances where I wish I had a disc drive, the screen resolution is great, and it's incredibly snappy.

Obviously the only thing I can't do is play graphic intensive games. Source games like TF2 and L4D play fine, along with Starcraft II as long as you keep the settings low.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anyone know of any benchmarks comparing a MBA 13" i5 running Starcraft II on OS X vs. running it on WIndows 7?

I'm just curious if the increase in performance is significant enough.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 28, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really hope the 15" MBA rumors are true. While I don't feel cramped with the 1440x900 resolution of my 13", it'd be nice to have a MacBook with a better GPU and a 1680x1050 display.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is Apple pretty good about repairing/replacing MacBook Airs with loose hinges? I bought my MacBook Air last July and I've started to notice that the hinge on mine is starting to loosen up - if I move the laptop toward me on my desk, for example, the screen will shift.

Maybe I should just wait until it gets worse.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've got a 2011(?) MacBook Air that I'm giving to my mom and the wait sucks. I really want a 13" Retina MacBook Pro but I won't get one until it gets updated.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

For me it's not even Haswell stopping from buying a 13inch MBPr it's that I see no way to configure it with more than 8gb of ram. Not even an option to get it directly from Apple for 4x the market price? I don't understand. I don't want a 15inch laptop. If I had a choice for a smaller retina I wouldn't even want a 13inch. Those MBA screens are rear end.

Apple just doesn't really make a laptop for me right now. :(

Most people don't need more than 8GB of RAM.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

So what? At its price point it should almost be the standard and at the very least a BTO option.

Besides the fact that most people don't need more than 8 gigs of RAM, I'm sure Apple has it's reasons why the older rMBPs don't have it as a BTO option. Space constraints, perhaps? I'm sure it will be an option when they refresh line, assuming it's even possible to fit in the laptop's chassis.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The New MacBook has put people like me in a interesting predicament - I love the form factor of the MacBook Air I've been using for the past 5 years, but I really want my next upgrade to have a retina display.

I guess I should just wait it out and see what Apple has to offer a year from now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know a lot of rumors sites say there won’t be any major changes to MBPs in 2018, but what’s the likelihood we’ll see Vega M graphics? Does Intel’s new CPU/GPU meet Apple’s power requirements for the 13” and 15” models? They really should release a cheaper 15” model without the touchbar.

I plan on picking up whatever they eventually release during their back to school promo - I’m still using a 2010 MacBook Air that’s ready to be retired.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 3, 2018

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

They won’t. No one except goons and redditors sperging give a poo poo about the touchbar being there - also, I don’t know why they’d ditch the dGPU - the whole form factor was designed with it in mind.

You might get one the next time they redesign in 2027.

I'm just sick of the base model 15" costing $2400. They used to sell a base model for $2000.

I intend on doing UI/UX design work on it, but there's no way I can justify $400-$600 more for just for a bigger display.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 6, 2018

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Agreed. I think your grump is justified. Didn't mean for previous statement to be dismissive.

That being said, from a manufacturing standpoint, I just don't see the benefit for a non-dGPU version. Over time, models have come down as the form factor has been around a while, so in a year we might see some drops in the lower end models. Someone posted a nice graph in the past about that but now I can't seem to find it.

I just don’t see why they’d continue to include dGPUs in a laptop when the Vega non-dGPUs will likely continue to be better (and possibly more efficient) than any Apple dGPU would put in their laptops.

Benchmarks have been insanely impressive: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Early...s.279332.0.html

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like Apple solved the whole "crumbs getting inside a Macbook Pro keyboard" issue:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/9/17100594/apple-patent-dirt-debris-liquid-snacks

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

So...the Air is in a cheaper class than the pro obviously but the super slimness isn't really all that useful/novel anymore but they are keeping that way because reasons? I guess there's always the non pro MB so then who exactly needs the thinness?

They're just keeping it because it's the cheapest and it probably sells well. I don't know why they don't just drop the price of the MacBook to $999 and dump the MacBook Air completely.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

With all this talk of a new entry level $799-$899 MacBook with a Retina display, I really wonder how Apple is going to be able to justify a $1299 price tag for the 13" MacBook Pro.

I know quite a few friends over the past couple years who went with a MacBook Pro because of the retina display alone.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I find myself less and less confident that Apple will actually deliver a MacBook Pro that will suit my needs. Intel just announced a bunch of 45W CPUs, which means we likely won't see them in 13" models.

I can't be the only person who wants a powerful 13" MacBook Pro. Maybe Apple realized they're cannibalizing sales with so many different 13" models and we'll see a "return to form" with the 13".

https://9to5mac.com/2018/04/03/2018-macbook-pro-intel-i9-possibility/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

It would be very unlike Apple to come out with a new laptop and say '5 hours of battery life'

These are PRO level laptops - we should be able to boost CPU performance when they're plugged in and drastically throttle them when running on battery. Why can't we have the best of both worlds?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Totally cool with this for Macbooks/MacBook Airs, but I just can't see them completely moving away from Intel for their Pro line of laptops.

I know it's a running joke that Apple doesn't care about Pro users, but the fact that they're releasing a new Mac Pro, along with the iMac Pro, makes me wishful that they won't leave Pro users out in the cold.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If we don't see a MacBook Pro CPU refresh before WWDC, chances are we'll see a minor design upgrade of some sort - fingers crossed for keyboard changes. Otherwise, I don't see why Apple would bother waiting to announce just CPU spec bumps.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 3, 2018

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't they revise the keyboards for 2017?

Yep, but Apple fans and bloggers have been pretty vocal about makes further changes so it feels more like the Magic Keyboard - essentially even more travel but still have the butterfly mechanism.

I actually really like the clickiness of the 2017 MacBook Pro, but I'd prefer if it had more travel.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pivo posted:

And so Apple will do the exact opposite.

I guess?

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-jony-ive-macbook-criticism-2017-12

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Our entire UX team uses 4K iMacs and 15” MacBook Pros.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kuskus posted:

Sunchips, don't murder me, but if you better specs in a long lasting 13" thin and light (16GB /256GB default + qc i7 / tb3) consider a Razer. And if you need a CUDA dgpu, a 14" for not much more. A lot of the devs I know carry a Macbook for content creation and a Razer for demos and deployment.
Macs for dayjob, pc hardware for freelance & experiments (photogrammetry/MR/game dev); and I don't see that changing. Don't wait years not working the way you want, just gain an additional platform.

I know I've been all over the place with what I'll eventually replace my 13" 2011 MacBook Air with, but it's probably going to end up being the cheapest 13" MBP I can buy with 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD. I've honestly been following MBP refresh rumors far too closely, especially since I intend on waiting for the back to school sales in July.

It's really hard to justify the 15", especially when I can just grab an eGPU down the road if/when prices go down. Hell, I've already got an OC'd i5 4690k PC sitting at home.

The 13" and 14" Razer Blade Stealth are really nice, though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

this is the value proposition i don't get - an egpu is practically the price of an entire new windows computer. and you have a perfectly good windows computer already! idgi unless you absolutely need all your files to be on one computer for... some reason

I largely use my PC as a file server for Plex/NZBGet/Sonarr/Radarr, it's sitting in a closet.

I just like knowing that I have the option to eventually pick up an eGPU enclosure for $200-$300 down the road.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is this the same new keyboard that's on the 2016's or is this a new new keyboard? Because I loving the 2016 MBP keyboard. The travel, the shape, the fact it's surprisingly loud. It's the best laptop keyboard I've ever used.

I also love how AirPods fit my ears, so fight me now.

2017 version has more travel but the same clickiness and shape of the 2016 keyboard.

I love the clickiness too, but I wouldn't complain if they added even more travel to the 2018 version.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you can get a working Air for $250 I'll eat my loving hat

I've got two 13" 2011-2012 MacBook Airs, one with some small cosmetic damage, one with a loose hinge, and I'm really hoping I can get ~$600 to put toward my MacBook Pro.

I also plan on selling off whatever Beats headphones they offer for the Back to School event.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

redeyes posted:

Is there any thing Apple can do that would make the faithful in this thread jump ship?
We have:
a) non fixable, non upgradeable Macbook pros (and Macbooks)
b) non fixable, non upgradable iMac Pros (and probably iMacs soon enough) for over 10 grand if you build like that
c) horrible problems with Macbook Pros (keyboard mostly), batteries, soldering

Isn't this the point where people start looking elsewhere? Apple is no longer a computer company, they make appliances.

Anecdotal, I know, but my company has been buying more and more Apple devices as we’ve moved from being a company that develops desktop apps to web/mobile apps.

Sure, the newest MacBook Pro has a major issue with the keyboards, but the rest of the problems are overblown. I’ll be pretty satisfied going from a 7 year-old MacBook Air to a new Pro - Retina display, more ram, quad-core, faster ssd, and 10 hours of battery life (vs 6 hours) are pretty nice upgrades. Biggest downside is I’ll have to carry around a new dongle (which I already do for HDMI with my MBA) and I’ll miss magsafe. The most popular Apple laptop is already non upgradeable and people don’t seem to mind.

They have to fix the keyboard, though. If they don’t fix it with the 2018 refresh, I guess I’ll have to re-evaluate my options. Trackpads suck on Windows laptops, so I may just end up waiting until 2019.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 28, 2018