Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Upgraded from a 2014 13”MacBook Air to a 2020 13” edition!

Initial thought? Holy poo poo did they send me an 11inch instead??

I was not expecting the case on the 2014 to be longer. I’m going to give it a few days but I was really shocked. When did they do this form redesign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
New 2020 MacBook Air owner here.

How can I help test this stuff? I've got the Intel Power Gadget.

I can say with 10000% certainty, Zoom is an unoptimized garbage software for OS X. Makes my MBA spin up its fans INSTANTLY and stay around 95-100C.

I'll only help if you guys can link me the best USB C dongle platform. I do NOT need ethernet. A couple USB and an HDMI port is all I need.

I'm guessing Satechi?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Day of 4 of MBA 2020: last night was an entire day of Logic X during the morning and Zoom 4 person video conference at night. Constant 95C temps during those loads. No fans.

Day 5: lots of outlook and word and Discord and torrents. No fans, never got hot.

Gotta be honest, I’m really happy with this laptop and if I had never heard about the heat pipe or watched the YouTube video I never would have noticed. So...

It feels like snappy like my 2014 MBA and it’s portable and it has great battery life. Not going to return it!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

cryptoclastic posted:

There are a couple of education apps that I would need to open occasionally. They are flash based, I'm pretty sure. Basically student textbook kind of things to show on the computer screen.

The other big pain is the recording software for the videos I have to make is Windows only. I could record in MacOS and then just piece them together in Windows, but I feel that defeats the purpose.

I guess I really want a Mac, but unfortunately it's just not in the cards.

Get a 2017 mba and also whatever dumb pc you need.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I was a kid when that mouse was around. LOVED IT. Fit my hand. Was so cool.

Never considered adults were using it too.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Fedule posted:

My MBA finally made it out of Eindhoven and arrived at my door within 6 hours of entering the country, and I'm extremely happy with it. This keyboard is seriously lovely, and after I'm done adjusting from the 2014 MBP keyboard I'm sure it'll turn out optimal but I love it already, and I'm delighted to have skipped the butterfly generation completely. Also, having come from a 2014 model with a dual core i7 (I sprung for the i7 MBA, because what the hell) I'm delighted to be able to watch YouTube videos without boiling the CPU and making the fans scream, and also to be able to use Anker cables to charge the thing, finally.

Post your temperatures while:
1) YouTube
2) zoom video ON
3) outlook word and iTunes open/playing

For science

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
No but really can you please post your temps. I need to see if my MacBook Air is an anomaly.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I had to disable auto rendering, audio and video scrubbing to make Final Cut Pro work.

Also, rendering using compressor or FCP on my 2020 MBA makes it unusable.

I have until tomorrow to figure out if I’m going to return the MBA 2020 and wait for the MBP.

I guess I consider myself a “creator” more than a “consumer.”

Logic Pro X has been fine, but with lots of pops and clicks in the audio. I tried Reaper today and it was much smoother.

FCP was made workable..... but it’s not your mobile video editing platform, especially since the new 2019 MacBook pros weigh almost the exact same as the airs.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hi I hate the final cut experience on the MacBook Air.

I had to disable auto rendering. Disable video scrubbing. Disable audio scrubbing to make it even passable to edit a 1h30 minute zoom recording.

If you will be doing FCP more than 3 hours a month I would avoid avoid avoid on MBA 2020.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

landgrabber posted:

uhhhh if you're trying to edit a super high res 90 minute long video on a macbook air, of course it's going to have hiccups. all that stuff has to sit in ram. and you probably don't have a lot of that.

Trying to edit a zoom video from my lecture in the i5 with 16gb ram. Was awful without modifications.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So let me make sure I have deduced the right ideas here.

Apple (thankfully) designed a MacBook Air without a heat pipe to help increase battery life because otherwise the battery would be used a lot more because the fans would spin more so it's a good thing the CPU gets limited.

Am I reading this right?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
2.0 i5 or 2.3 i7 for music production and video editing?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Ordered the i5 2020 MBP. 16gb ram with 1tb hard drive!

I am disappointed by not having 14" but.....I really value portability as I travel a ton so this MBP is what I asked for. Good keyboard, good processor, good ram, portability and battery life.

My MBA 2020 with applecare was $1949.

This MBP without applecare was $2008.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Was installing some FabFilter plugins in Logic Pro X on my brand new i5 16gb MBP.

It froze - then did a hard reset.

Was this a kernel panic?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I haven't bought a new monitor since 2010.

What monitors are we recommending for use with our fancy new MacBook pros these days?

Is there any easy switch mechanism between using our laptop and then using the monitor for our PC?

Also: Thanks MarcusSA - I grabbed WALTR 2 (epic oh my god I needed this to get me from iTunes hell) and iStat menus!

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 14, 2020

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just wanted to post a trip report of my 2020MBP.

I was a guy who had a i5 16gb MBA.

I had issues in Logic. Zoom ran my computer up to 99c. FCP was miserable.

Anyway, I have the 2020MBP ($1799( model and it's been great. I know this wasn't a thrilling upgrade, but it's nice to have a model sometimes where all the bugs have gotten worked out and you're upgrading the specs. I feel like I got the right MBP before it gets redesigned (??) next year.

Anyway - I love it. Glad I traded my air.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Bob Morales posted:

Was your Air a 2020?

Yes.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

American McGay posted:

Have people always been this weird about monitoring their thermals? Reminds me of the early 2000s where people would check their battery cycles every 20 seconds.

People are gonna get weird about it when the computer shits itself.

People are gonna get weird when the MBA for like ~35 years had a heatpipe and then ifixit took it apart and it had no heatpipe.

People are gonna get weird about products they spend $2000 on.

People are gonna get weird about Macs.

People are gonna get weird

People are gonna

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I really like the touch bar.

Better touch tool and the presets make it fantastic to use!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
GoldenChaos is the presets I use.

Check it out here. I really love it.

Logic, YouTube, final cut, screen resizing, Dropbox I mean all of it

https://community.folivora.ai/t/goldenchaos-btt-the-complete-touch-bar-ui-replacement/1281

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I want to start using my MBP 2020 with an external monitor.

Thankfully, I also just built a new gaming/VR PC.

I'd like to stay under $600.

What are people doing for monitors? Are you getting a USBC to HDMI converter and hooking up to a monitor that way?

I've also seen some USB-C capable monitors like BenQ PD3220U

What's the best way to go about this? USBC native? or USB to HDMI/DP adapter of some sort?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay thanks, but DisplayPort won't charge my MacBook right?

I guess I'm debating the new Lenovo y27q-20, BenQ EX2780Q (USB-C!), or a GL850 or something.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
As opposed to Spotify who are complete jerks about their student discount.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 22, 2020

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Guys I need Airplay / iPad help.

I am using my iPad to Airplay screen mirror to our big conference room.

It works extremely well. I use powerpoint for slides.

I have problems with youtube videos though.

Whenever I move from ppt (ios) to Youtube, it gives me a black spinning icon never works.

If I copy and paste the URL into Safari youtube plays fine.

If I play FULLSCREEN in Safari it breaks.............

Any past experience with this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I got my Mac Studio today. It’s huge.