Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

OH NO

I saw the bent pin too but then realized it was IDE so all was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have the exact same machine and agree with your assessment. I just wish AMD would put out new Boot Camp drivers. 6 months?!

Also SWTOR runs pretty well on it. :D

You can download the standard mobile drivers from AMD and install them on Windows 7 without an issue. I just updated them on my 2010 27" iMac with the 5750.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The front edge is probably too thin for it, and trying to put it anywhere else was probably a headache.

Wait now I'm curious. If there's no front LED, does that mean remotes don't work with the Air? I thought that's where they hid the receiver on the MBPs. Something to try when I get home, if I can find my remotes.

We just tried it and the Apple Remote does not work with the new MBA's. :(

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I'm selling my Late 2008 Unibody MacBook with SSD in SA-Mart. See also: a Magic Mouse for those who might be interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432321

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Binary Badger posted:

In situations like the above I just clone the drive, slap in the new one, do a full install of Snowy/Lion-Oh for that model onto the new drive, then boot up, make a dummy admin account, then use Migration Assistant to grab everything from the old account.

Pain-free (mostly) and everything usually comes over, no muss or fuss unless it's from a Tiger OS in which case I have to redo networking and printers.

This is very good advice.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

TheJoker138 posted:

I have a question. My parents are both getting new computers soon. My mother is sticking with a PC, that I'm going to build her from parts off of New Egg, because she uses it for a lot of business stuff, and her office uses PC. My father on the other hand runs his own business from home (builds and fixes guitars and amplifiers) and also needs to do audio recording with it. He's also pretty much the computer equivalent of the black plague. Every PC he's ever used has pretty much gone to hell after a year or so of him using it, and requires me to do massive tech support from all the viruses and such he gets, usually resulting in a total wipe.

So I'm thinking about helping him just get, and set up, a Mac Mini. I have a Mac Book Pro in addition to my desktop PC, and it seems like he would be much better suited to the Mac experience. It's a bit more user friendly, it's harder to get viruses, it ships with Garage Band, etc.

Do you guys think this would be a good pick for him? We are on a budget, and don't want to go much over $800 on it, so I would be getting him the $600 version, with Apple Mouse and Apple Keyboard, then buying him a monitor and external CD/DVD burner for it from New Egg.

The mini comes with a 5400RPM drive that is going to really drag down performance in Garage band. If your dad wants to move up professional application for recording like Pro Tools or Logic, you will need more ram and an external firewire 400/800 drive. Like others are saying, I'd start looking to the refurb store. Your mini starts getting expensive and cluttered with additional ram and external optical and recording drives.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Eh, for what someone normally does in Garageband the 5400rpm drive will be fine.

Thanks for your brilliant insight. As TheJoker mentioned, his dad is heavily into pro audio, so I sincerely doubt he is a 'normal' user. Recording to the boot drive is never a good idea, let alone when it is a slow 5400 RPM laptop drive. Which is is why we are recommending the iMac with the larger, and faster desktop drives, and why I recommended a FW800 drive if he needed professional level software.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Boxman posted:

Going back to power-chat from a page ago.

My 3rd Magsafe died a couple months ago, and I've been trundling along with my wife's laptop + iPad, but I'm starting to miss the ability to, you know, sync my anything against my actual computer. The amazon one is pretty cheap, but I'd like to ask about OWC's selection here. They're repaired, but OWC has a good reputation, right?

I tell people that want to buy 3rd party chargers and batteries this:

If you want your house/apt to catch fire, then by all means, by non OEM stuff.

Apple magsafe connectors have been known to melt and catch fire, and they have exclusive patents on the technology. So, any third party is either reverse engineering it, or repairing broken ones, with less knowledge of how it actually works than Apple. I am not willing to save whatever difference the other ones cost for the increased risk of damage to my expensive computer or to my home.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

BlackMK4 posted:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/2636880970.html
Am I looking at an easy-ish fix or should I keep looking?

I've had somewhat simliar issues with the ACD and it ended up being a dying monitor. I would stay away.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mewcenary posted:

Anyone with a 13" Air of the current iteration with pros / cons to share?

I have the 13" with the 256GB SSD.

Pros: Almost everything
Cons: Limited to 4gb of ram.

This is the best laptop I've ever owned.

Edit: I ended up saving the $100 and going with the i5, and I'm really glad I did because my boss got it and he can't see a difference.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 11, 2011

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm trying to find an answer for my sister regarding whether her MacPro 3,1 from 2007 w/ an NVidia 8800GT can run DaVinci's Resolve. I have no idea if her MacPro will face any problems running this program. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Resolve and whether or not she can use the 8800GT to handle the GUI. Any help would be great.

Also here is their suggested setups. http://blackmagic-design.com/media/2384470/DaVinci_Resolve_Mac_Config_Guide.pdf

I tested this almost exact setup this summer. The key points to this kind of setup is that you need a second gpu if you want to use the 8800GT for compute, which that guide goes into in the build section for the Mac Pro. Also the key point of Resolve is color grading, so a color accurate monitor and a Black-Magic card to drive it are essential for doing any kind of professional grading. You may also run into data transfer speed issues if you are using higher bit rate HD footage and you don't have have some sort of fast storage available.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Strong Sauce posted:

My sister is getting this mainly so she can work with Resolve, she won't be doing any actual "professional" work in this setup. So all she really needs is to have the setup that is workable on her Mac Pro. She just wants to make sure she doesn't need one of those $1000+ cards to run and that her 8800GT can be either used as the GUI or as the GPU card.

If she just wants to learn the interface, then she does not need a more complicated setup than a typical Mac Pro. I would recommend putting the media on another 7200RPM drive in the Mac Pro, and making sure she has at least 4GB of RAM though.

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't see why you need a special video card for color management. I've been to plenty of studios using off the shelf consumer cards. Its the display that matters and the know-how in making it all work. Unless you're talking about displays that don't take DVI, HDMI or DP. In which case you could probably afford something better than a MP3.1 not that it would get you that much more color accuracy than a high end prosumer display that can take those inputs.

You need a special video card in order to output high bit rate 10 or 12 bit color to a professional color accurate check monitor, that is is most likely going to use HD-SDI 3G inputs rather than just DVI or HDMI. The closest 'prosumer' monitor the can do this is the excellent HP DreamColor series that you would most likely use for the primary computer display rather than as a check monitor though. We use TVLogic for our check monitors because they are fantastic and have selectable 2k as well. That monitor is around $10k though.

A professional (not the lite version like Strong Sauce is talking about) DaVinci Resolve suite is probably anywhere from $40-60k by the time you get the Resolve console, software, NAS/Attached RAID storage, BlackMagic video card, 2nd and probably 3rd Nvidia card for compute, decked out Mac Pro, dual monitors the Mac, and a color accurate check monitor.

Edit: Fixed the quotes.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 11, 2011

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
While I agree that with you that it depends on the delivery specs and the look that the director wants, I'll disagree that it would not be a priority on a production with any kind of budget, let alone a feature.

Most flims that our students and faculty (which includes one that screened at Cannes this year) finish is either being color graded in our facilities, or by a post house in downtown Chicago. If you are using professional cameras with real color spaces (Varicam, RED, CineAlta, Alexa), then 10 and 12 bit color space is absolutely necessary.

While tools like Resolve Lite open up the software to lower tiers of users and budgets, at it's core, it is still a professional product that needs a lot of expensive hardware to fully exploit it's power.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Strong Sauce posted:

I'll let her know, thanks. Does the software still require 2 video cards to run or can she run it off just the 8800GT?

No, you can still run it on one GPU. We also tested it on our Mid 2010 27" iMacs without an issue. It just wont be as fast with rendering.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

japtor posted:

Have any of the Thunderbolt boxes for that come out yet? (not to say that they're cheap or anything, and won't work on a Mac Pro right now of course, I just vaguely remember some TB boxes being announced that have that stuff)

Rumor has it that Black Magic is shipping their Thunderbolt device, but no one I've talked to has seen it. AJA is not shipping the IO XT yet.

I am really upset at the lack fo TB devices at this point. I am DYING for a TB gigabit adapter for my MBA, let alone the badass dock that Belkin showed off this fall with gigabit, firewire, and more usb ports. :argh:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

evil_bunnY posted:

Heh. Try offering Time Machine to a hundred Mac users. I'd happily pay whatever Apple wants for Lion Server licenses but lol-can't-run-virtual-on-nonApple-hardware.

Oh and BTW the mac "servers" aren't on the vmware HCL :suicide:

I think the discontinued Xserves are in the HCL for vSphere 5. I wrote a long and poignant email to Apple Enterprise support about licensing and non-Apple hardware a couple of months ago, and things have been unsurprisingly quiet. Apple gives no fucks about education/enterprise.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

AzCoug posted:

Does anyone have experience with connecting an external monitor to your MB through mini-display port/VGA adapter? The only catch is that I am trying to do this through Boot Camp running Windows 7?

This connection works perfect on OS X, however, I get nothing when hooked up through Boot Camp...

I did this on a Late 2008 Unibody MacBook on XP and 7 without an issue using MDP->DVI/VGA.

Edit: Try updating the graphics drivers in Boot Camp from the OEM (AMD/ATI or Nvidia).

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
We met with the Apple Higher Ed reps yesterday, and they made it clear that the Mac Pro is not sticking around. This is a huge problem for us, because we need workstations and PCI-E slots for our workflow, and all they say is THUNDERBOLT. When I asked about graphics and animation, ie After Effects, they said "no one does it in house anymore". Right. Let me just contract out our students' animation projects to a 3rd party to render.

The Apple Way was pretty heavy handed in that streaming is the future, optical discs are dead, computer labs are a thing of the past, and Final Cut X is easier to use to broaden the market. All things we did not like to hear. Throw in my angst over virtualization on non Apple hardware, Lion/ML server sucking for OD policy, and a few other issues, and it was not a feel good meeting.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Sent from my iPad posted:

So has Apple simply abandoned the Mac Pro line? It's been nearly two years since they were updated and the prices are the same as they were in July 2010.

I posted about it a while back, but we had a meeting with Apple recently, and they all but flat out said the Mac Pro was dead, while touting ThunderBolt as the second coming of Christ. That, coupled with the Sandy Bridge-E launch with nary a peep from Apple, should give you a very clear picture of what is going on.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Factory Factory posted:

But I think the writing has been on the wall for a while that Apple has been focusing on consumer hardware/software/services and finding a lot of money in it. The Apple ecosystem really works best as a consumer money siphon. A workstation doesn't print cash the way an iOS device does. Even if the workstations are profitable, it may just be more profitable to focus on other things.

This is exactly it. We are a prominent film school that went all FCP about 5 years ago after being FCP and Avid. For the past 3 years, I could see the writing on the wall about FCP, and when FCP X came out, I wasn't surprised in the least. Apple has been systematically killing enterprise and professional apps and hardware over the past few years.

1) Axed the XServes with no viable alternative. I have been bitching to them directly about the lack of enterprise virtualization support (VmWare ESXi/vSphere) for a while now, and its fallen on deaf ears

2) Starting with Lion, OS X Server is now a loving App from the Store, and they've taken away features with every release since SL, with ML being the most egregious.

3) Obviously FCP X being iMovie Pro or Wedding Video Pro however you look at it. They also axed any kind of optical media creation (Apple FCP Evangelist I spoke to "Discs are dead").

4) Logic hasn't had a major update in 3 years, but Garage Band keeps growing

5) Mac Pro is on it's death bed with no real power users / professional alternative. A single socket consumer board with mobile graphics won't cut it for workstation class users.

6) Aperture went from a professionally oriented and priced application ($299 I think) to $80 on the app store with no major updates for a couple of years.

Apple's answers to everything are 'cloud' right now. When I asked about After Effects, he said 'Everyone outsources that now." Right. We are most likely moving to CS6 or Avid next fall,and I've been lobbying to start replacing our Mac Pros with PC workstations because our needs certainly can't be met with an iMac and TB.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Fayk posted:

What about high end iMacs? They might not match what a super duper new Mac Pro would do, but I'm pretty sure the 8-core ones etc would be competitive, and I don't think the high end ones are still mobile chipsets.

As someone who owns a (few years old, but was upper-mid range model at the time) Mac Pro, they've never aggressively had the TOP END video cards really. I even upgraded to one of the later ones -w hich was lagging behind Windows equivalents (price:performance).

I'm not a video professional though!

For reference, our high end suites use:

1)Best GPU available
2)Video card by way of AJA, Black Magic, or RED. The RED Rocket (loving retarded name) requires 8x PCI-E, which is the most available bandwidth on current gen ThunderBolt
3)Raid card that requires at least a 4x PCI-E slot or Fibre Channel Card

And as Factory Factory said, you can only get high end quad core CPUs in an iMac, and the graphics are actually mobile chipsets, not the full desktop versions, which does make a huge difference. Never mind the fact that you can not get a professional graphics (Quadro or FireGL) in an iMac, which impacts other professional applications (AutoCAD, Pro Engineer, etc) more than the video field.

The ThunderBolt PCI-E expansion chassis on the market now are like $1k, and the storage is absurdly priced too. Since Premiere and Media Composer both run on Windows, the cost of a comparable PC workstation is cheaper and more powerful than an iMac and TB.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Shmoogy posted:

This actually caused Adobe to drop the price of Lightroom to something far more reasonable. I don't think we can judge the intended audience based on price for this one.

Don't get me wrong, I bought Aperture at the lower price and love it, and I like that it caused Adobe to make Lightroom better and cheaper, but that does not get around the fact they haven't really been updating it either.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bass Bottles posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask this. Kind of a dumb question.

Just bought a new Macbook pro and it came with Parallels for free. If I buy a Windows 7 license that can only be used on one computer, would I not be able to use it for both Parallels and BootCamp? What has everyone else done for this. Cheapest place to buy Windows? Best version?

From a licensing stand point, a single copy can not have two installs, so you could not have a virtual machine AND a boot camp install. However, Parallels and VMWare Fusion both allow you to run your boot camp install virtually, which would be ok with your one install limit. I know that seems confusing, but the latter is only one licensed install of Windows, and the former is two.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

We're also supposed to get Retina Macbook Pros, we should all be using Liquid Metal iPhones, and a bunch of other stuff Macrumors is way off base about.

But if the following quote is true and Apple sells anywhere nearly only 50,000 17" each quarter...I don't see why the hell they would keep making it.

I wonder what the % is of 17" laptops when it comes to HP/Dell's sales.

Some sites have also suggested that Apple drop the 13" Pro during the last year or two. It's half their sales, why would they do that?!

Apple has recently had a habit of putting machines down when they don't sell. The XServe and white MacBook come immediately to mind, and the Mac Pro is on it's death bed. The loss of the the only portable with an Express Card slot is a sad day though, and ANOTHER shot at professionals using Macs. ThunderBolt is great in theory, but it's just too drat expensive for adding IO. The Magma expansion chassis is like $1k I think.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flavor posted:

Okay... so what essential hardware is available for the Express Card slot only? Plus it's only a sad day once it becomes official. A Macrumors article quoting some "analyst" doesn't make it so.

Also, what's the problem with the cost of thunderbolt peripherals for people who would otherwise be buying a Mac Pro? Not even considering that prices for thunderbolt add-ons are likely to drop over time.

And discontinuing the 17" MBP would make a lot less sense than the Mac Pro, because the 17" is only a variation of the MBP whereas the Mac Pro is its own product. I wouldn't think that a lot of additional R&D and factory resources go into making the 17" when there's already the 13" and 15" models.

Basically I/O like eSATA, USB3, RAID cards, and video capture cards. Professional Sony video cameras use SxS cards to record, which are basically Express Cards with memory on them, so a laptop on set that can natively dump footage is fantastic. PowerBook G4's are still used in Panasonic camps because P2 cards are just PCMCIA cards with flash memory on them, and P2 readers are like $300-400 for slow rear end USB versions.

I agree that some analysis throwing poo poo against the wall isn't the best source for Apple's future business decisions. I am just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

japtor posted:

Nice timing on quoting the SxS post, I just came across this earlier:
http://expo.nabshow.com/annual12/Public/Booth.aspx?BoothID=138240&Task=PressReleaseDetails&PRID=2894
Basically Sony released a TB compatible driver so you can use that stuff with Sonnet's ExpressCard-TB adapter.

Yeah, all 3 of my coworkers went to NAB last week and I had to stay here. :(

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty much everyone that made fun of me for buying my first Mac in 1994 now uses Macs.

Fixed for my experience. I got relentless poo poo for over a decade until iPods made Apple cool. I had a TA give me poo poo for running MatLab on my POWERBOOK G4 in lab until I ran the same script on my Mac and the Dell P4 at my bench and the Mac smoked it. :smugdog:

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 26, 2012

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

Do you not remember everyone dual-booting OS 9 for the longest time?

Did you do that? I got started with OS X Public Beta and I've run X as my main OS since then. Granted, the 10.0-10.2 time was rough, but I learned a lot about compiling open source software and pulling apps from cvs/svn!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flavor posted:

I could maybe take a second look at OS X server but I also don't feel like taking computing resources away from my iMac to run services on it.

Don't. As a Mac OS X Server admin, I am warning you to stay the hell away.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

There wil be blood in the streets if they remove the gigabit port from the Pro.

At this point, nothing would surprise me. USB3 and Thunderbolt are more than fast enough for gigabit though.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

Wait guys...

The number of pixels on the iPhone vs Retina iPhone - 4X
The number of laptops Apple will make after they drop the 17" Pro - 4
The number of letters in Steve Jobs last name - 4
The number of corners on a Magic Trackpad - 4

Clearly this means ancient aliens inspired Steve to create Apple.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Last year it was a $100 iTunes gift card rather than an iPod subsidy. I got my GC when I bought the MBA at launch last July.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I've had a really annoying problem with my 13" MBP Retina that I thought I'd share the solution to. I have it docked to a Thunderbolt display, and have a usb hdd dock and fw drive attached to the monitor. If I plugged the TB display in with the lid closed and tried to wake it from the keyboard like you are supposed to do, nothing would happen on either the TB display or the Mac's when opened. I had to hard power cycle the Mac to get it to respond.

Powering off the external drives when plugging the mac into the TB display fixed it. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I worked in post supporting Macs until very recently and my warnings about the new Mac "Pro" were dead on. I told everyone they would be completely wrong for our workflow, and really just be a suped up headless iMac, which they basically are.

To reiterate what others are saying, a workstation is all about power and flexibility. The new Mac Pro lost a LOT verses the old one:

• Two sockets and 8 ram slots to one socket and 4 slots. This is significant for compute heavy workloads like animation and heavy effects. There is no substitute for cores and ram, and the new Mac Pro lost 6 cores, 12 threads, and 4 ram slots.
  • All internal expansion. This is deal breaker for most professionals. No Fiber Channel, 10G Ethernet, RAID cards, pro card readers (CF, SxS, P2, etc), add in cards like AJA, Black Magic and RED Rocket. People have tremendous investments in their work flows, and being told to buy mythical expansion bays that are probably not qualified is a show stopper. My work horse Mac Pros had $4000-$5000 of expansion cards in them that I'd have to now either get TB equivalents for, buy a questionable enclosure for, or buy new storage. Unacceptable. Or just buy a Dell or HP workstation that will gladly take the cards and be done.
  • AMD gpus are absurd because pro software essentially only runs on Nvidia, especially for video post
  • Thunderbolt sucks in my experience. I had a 13" Retina and Thunderbolt Display that would kernel panic 4 out of 5 times when I plugged it in. No joke.
  • Pros still use optical drives, regardless of what Apple tells you. This is especially true in education where I worked.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Is anyone else with the new mid-2013 MacBook Air having display problems with certain applications? For some reason using the spot healing brush tool in Photoshop CS6 makes the display flicker like crazy; similarly VMware Fusion 5 (and the new Tech Preview that was just recently released to specifically support these new MacBooks) is basically completely unusable after installing VMware Tools.

Turning off graphics acceleration in fusion fixed it for me with Win8.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had a 13" rMBP for work, and wasn't really happy with it. To be honest, the only real benefit was the second MDP and more RAM than the MBA could handle, but the Haswell MBA's fixed that. The rMBP is surprisingly heavy to me when I was used to an MBA. YMMV.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

eames posted:

I remember that lots of rMBP owners had massive image retention/ghosting issues with the displays, is that a thing of the past or still something to consider when ordering the new Haswell rMBP tomorrow?

The Haswell GPU is much better than the Ivy Bridge one, so it stands to reason it might reduce artifacts on the display.

Edit: Mavericks also significantly improves battery life as a whole. I'm sitting at 89% on my i5 Haswell MBA and it's telling me a hair under 11 hours left.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 21, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

eames posted:

This is a display panel issue, it has nothing to do with the GPU.

Right. It's still very early and my coffee has yet to take effect.

Bob Morales posted:

Isn't mavericks only adding 45-60 minutes?

I haven't done any real scientific testing, but my gf's C2D 11" MBA is getting WAY better battery life than on ML, and my MBA is getting better, but not as noticeable.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
iTunes in the Cloud and backing my phone up to iCloud has dramatically reduced the amount of storage i need on my laptop. That being said, a full install in addition to my Windows VM would be a little close for comfort. And, in all honesty, a 256gb will make it easier to sell down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

micron posted:

Welp, I've made the plunge into darkside and bought the 15". I currently have a HP elitebook running dual monitors via a docking station and a bunch of crap plugged into the said docking station. I was hoping for a new thunderbolt display as well to help me get rid of all the cables and poo poo all over my desk. I'm fine with waiting but is there a "decent" hub that would be similar to a docking station with multiple USB's ports etc.? I'm gonna need something to hold me over for a little bit, otherwise I'll just get a current TBD.

I'm fine using just the MBP for a display for the time being, just need USB's, maybe ethernet, etc.

My experiences with the Matrox TB dock were pretty bad. The USB would drop out and the box would need power cycled to recover them. This was a couple of months ago, but YMMV.