Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I've noticed my Aluminum MacBook no longer uses safe sleep when the battery dies. When I charge it and power on it boots cold. I'm running Lion and an SSD, with the hack to enable TRIM. Is this normal for SSDs or is something hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

hibernatemode 3

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Pre-Lion there was a loading bar you'd see at the bottom of the screen. I do have a 4GB sleepimage file, so maybe they removed that special loading bar in Lion?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Chiming in on Choadmaster's issue. I'm a former AppleCare iPhone Tier 2 advisor and unfortunately situations like this happen. You need to work with Apple to get them to replicate the issue. They're only going to replace your computer if they actually complete a repair for the same issue 3 times. If it comes back with no issue found it's not going to count.

Yes, you're 100% convinced there's a hardware issue, but you're not going to convince anyone by insisting that. These people deal with people all day every day that are convinced their iPhone's screen magically shattered by itself or other such stuff. You might be the one person they talk to in a day that's legit, but they simply can't take your word for it.

Question: the times that the computer was taken to the Genius Bar and was held for a few days, do you know if it was actually sent for repair, or was it just held in the store? If you set up a repair over the phone you can know for sure that it will be sent to a repair depot.

Two tips: Tier 2 agents (the "supervisor" you spoke to) can be valuable tool. They can give you their email and phone number and can "own" your issue, so you're not stuck having to explain the whole situation over and over again. I would reccomend calling AppleCare and have a Tier 2 rep set up a repair for you. Make sure he knows your whole situation, but be nice. Make him want to help you out. Make sure you get his contact information and follow up with him on the results of the repair, good or bad.

Second, if you want to get any mileage with Customer Relations don't talk about your technical issue. CR agents are not trained in technical support. Instead stress how long this issue has persisted and how unsatisfactory the experience has been. If you own multiple Apple products stress how loyal of a customer you are and you just want to have a working product. You're going to get much better results that way.

Good luck!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I have a unibody MacBook with an SSD replacing the disc dive and it's been pretty great to me. The one great shortcoming is that the screen is pretty terrible, particularly as it relates to viewing angle. I think Apple actually stealth updated the aluminum MacBook screens before eventually promoting it to 13" MacBook Pro status.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

If you're in there already, it's trivial to move the current HDD into the Optibay you'll have fitted and put the SSD into the primary HDD slot.

That is a terrible idea. The primary HDD slot is designed to withstand shocks and drops, the optibay isn't. To answer the original posters question, yes the SSD in the optibay can be the boot drive.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Also the Mac version is almost always on an older patch than the PC version. I play the PC version in boot camp to play with my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Sebb posted:

The battery on my mid-2009 MBP just started throwing up a service battery warning. I have less than a week left of AppleCare, and it's covered for a free replacement.

<3 u apple.

I had to bicker back and forth with Apple a few times to replace my battery under AppleCare. "Yeah the battery is just used up you gotta buy a new one." No asshat, your goddamn operating system says the battery needs service, not just replacement.