Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

movax posted:

"Opti-bay" / "drive doubler" are good terms, though the latter I think is a marketing name from OWC. I bought the OWC-branded one for a bit more, for my 2010 MBP, and it works great. eBay ones can have some tighter mechanical fits, but should work too if you're interested in saving money.

In regards to this, is there any reason not to install the SSD in the optical bay if you intend to install the OS on it? I assume there's no difference between the SATA ports and that OS X won't flip its poo poo or anything? Also, are there any major compatibility issues that I should be aware of with particular SSDs? This is for a mid-2012 MBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I'd double-check on some Mac forums but in the past people have had sleep issues with their SSD in the optical bay, and also issues with the optical drive bay only being SATA 3Gb/s instead of 6Gb/s

I doubt 3Gb/s vs 6Gb/s would make any practical difference (I was using a SATA 3Gb/s motherboard with an SSD in my desktop and I didn't notice anything when I upgraded), but I guess if there are other issues I'll just err on the side of caution and pull the disk drive and stick that in the optical bay. Thanks.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Does anybody happen to know where I can get my hands on replacements for the small black screws that hold down the optical drive bracket on a 2012 13" MBP? I just replaced mine with a HDD bay, and one of the screws had to be, uh, convinced to leave its home. I called a local Apple Store and they said they'd just give me a couple if I stopped by, but that's a bit of a drive for me and I'd rather just spend a few bucks to order some online. So far I've only been able to find the screws for the bottom panel, though.