Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

snoozeallday posted:

Tomorrow is the final day for me to purchase extended applecare on my 2010 i5 15" mbp. Should i?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

The hard drive in my blackbook died. I want to order a replacement from newegg, will any 200GB 2.5" SATA drive work, or is there something else I need to take note of when ordering?

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Any 2.5" standard-height (9.5mm) SATA drive should work. If you're spending money and don't need a ton of storage space, consider an SSD to make your MacBook feel like a new machine.

Not looking to spend too much, going to give it away to a friend who needs a computer. Will any capacity drive work, or is there a maximum?

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

How about I give you $300 for your broken Mac and you just buy that friend a brand-new $300 laptop at Best Buy?

If you provide the link to a $300 Mac laptop at Best Buy you've got a deal. You might be thinking I'd be willing to give a friend a laptop that isn't a Mac, but I like my friends too much to do that.

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Good lord the stock Hitachi 5400 RPM in MBPs is punishingly slow. I realize that I've been spoiled by the good 7200 RPM drives and SSDs in my Macs, but setting up my girlfriends new MBP is just painful. I now understand people's complaints about Lion beach-balling more than Snow Leopard. I also forgot what it looked like to see Dock icons bounce more than once.

I really need to replace this drive.

I've decided to pull the trigger on a 120GB SSD in my MBP. If I want to replace my current stock HD, is it just as simple as taking out the existing one and swapping in the SSD and then booting from the installation discs? That way I can use my current drive to replace the blackbook drive I was going to be replacing anyway.

EDIT: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/ for example the 199.99 120GB drive also comes with a swap kit option but that's only if I want to keep two internal drives right?

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in software, or somewhere else entirely, but let me know and I'll remove/add it where it shouldn't/should go.

I use my MBP in my office, my AppleTV in my living room, my iPad/iPhone elsewhere around the house and outside. On all of them I watch movies/television and listen to music (Netflix, NBC iPad App, iTunes, Spotify, etc.). My speaker situation has been severely lacking and I'm looking to get the house setup to meet my needs. Ideally I'd like to purchase several of the same/similar units to place in 3 or 4 locations throughout the house, and then just configure each of my devices to use the appropriate ones depending on what I'm doing and where I am.

So if I'm in the office, and listening to music (from my MBP or iPhone or iPad) only have the office speakers play that music. If I'm watching a movie on the Apple TV in the living room, only have it play over the living room speakers. If I'm listening to music on my iPhone while cleaning the house, have Spotify play to all the speakers in the house (office, living room, bedroom, outside).

Does anyone have a setup like this? What's the most cost-effective and universal solution that will work?
Can I just buy several of these: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2228VC/A and place one in each location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

Action Jackson! posted:

What about the Airport Express? It has an audio out jack for that purpose.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Will that only work in iTunes though? If I open up Spotify and turn on AirPlay, will it show all the airport expresses I have throughout the house?