Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Essentially all of the March 2015 MacBook Pros say "not available" for in-store purchase on Apple's web store. Is this really the case? I wanted to venture over to the store to get some hands on time and possibly purchase with the student discount, but it's a long drive to waste if they don't actually stock any of their preconfigured models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mu Zeta posted:

Why don't you just call the store?

Oh god, good point. I'm getting to that point in tech dependency/familiarity that the idea of simply calling them didn't even occur to me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Well, the institution that handles financing for Apple rejected me for reasons unknown (hilariously in a packed Apple store, no less,) so I had to go the Best Buy route. It actually worked out; they were having a sale that put the new MBPs about $15 more expensive than Apple's education discount, but I was able to take an extra $100 off via a BB student coupon. Success!

I'd like to get a silicone/rubberized skin just to preserve the finish (CATS) but there are tons of cheap ones on Amazon, and then the $40-50 Speck one sold in stores. Are there any that are generally recommended?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

benisntfunny posted:

If you really think your credit is fine you may want to check your credit report. A few years ago I applied for a credit card and only got an $800 limit. Seemed odd given what I knew my credit score was.

Checked my report a few days later.... Experian had merged me with two other people. They had medical bills for days, a couple cars repo'd, a wife and each had a mortgage. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of bad debt associated to me. I was surprised I even got a card to be honest.

The craziest part was that when I called Experian I was expecting something about the same level as Comcast customer service. I was blown away when the reps were very professional and took care of the whole thing in 15 minutes.

I'm pretty sure it's fine. Credit Karma (I know, I know) e-mailed me after I applied for financing to let me know my credit report had changed (it simply had my inquiry added) so I took that time to look over everything to see if I could figure it out, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I very well could have typed my address in wrong or something. I'll find out in a week, if the rejection letter tells me anything!

Thanks for the recommendations for cases/sleeves, all! I'll probably just stick with a sleeve.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pertplus posted:

I don't think that's it. The thing rattling is obviously too large and heavy to have snuck in through a crack. See this video of it rattling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAmYGoB_uzA. So is there no way around me losing my laptop for >1 day while they service it? I'm in grad school and do all my work on my macbook so I really can't afford to lose it for even a day. Really frustrating to have this problem with a >$2k laptop I just bought specifically to avoid dealing with things not "Just working".

I had the same exact problem with a brand new 2015 rMBP from the day I opened it. Unfortunately, I can't help, as I opted to exchange it for a different unit within the return window. I didn't notice any other issues you mentioned, but I only used it for a day or two before returning it. Apple store will help you out without proof of purchase, as long as it's within warranty and the serial number isn't flagged for any reason.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

App13 posted:

That's actually a pretty good tip, thanks!

I'm alright with using third party on my own machines, but I've had a few customers ask to see the native resolution at work. This gets me closer

poo poo's gonna be ultra tiny, and there might be a performance hit on the new MacBook if you go beyond the built-in resolution support. The way scaling works on the retina MacBooks is, the image is rendered in an arbitrary resolution proportionally larger than your currently-selected one, and then it is downscaled to the actual resolution ("Looks like XXXX x YYYY"). For the MacBook, this is some funky resolution like 2301 x 1400 or something like that. I'd try it out yourself first, if by "customers" you mean "people I'm trying to sell the new MacBook" to.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The performance between the 2014 and 2015 MBPs is pretty negligible; I think Anandtech did a shootout. The SSD is faster (both are already pretty drat fast) and the memory is slightly faster as well. You wouldn't be able to tell one from another in a blind test (Force Touch excluding, of course!)

Speaking of Force Touch, it's not that widely implemented yet, so it's not THAT useful... but it's cool where it works. Apple still has it under lock and key as far as development goes, so there are no third party apps yet that utilize it beyond what Apple has programmed it for. I'm looking forward to its growth. If we're given the option to rebind what it does a la customizable keyboard/trackpad shortcuts, it'll be awesome.

Finally, that same 2015 model is $1424 at Best Buy, new! I would opt for the cheaper 2015 myself, unless that much internal storage is of utmost importance to you. You can snag a 1TB+ external drive for cheap these days.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 23, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sonic Dude posted:

I would say it's quite the opposite. The API has been out there since the new trackpad was announced, and Apple has been encouraging developers to adopt it. Some of our internal apps at work even make use of the new trackpads (albeit poorly).

https://developer.apple.com/osx/force-touch/

Oh wow, that rules. Thanks for the correction. I'm... going to get to work!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm looking for a laptop upgrade. I was looking at the 13" Macbook Air or the Macbook Pro for the ret display. How does Bootcamp (or Windows specifically) handle retina displays?

Just fine. I recently installed Windows 10, and the install process resolution was hilariously tiny (I'm assuming the 2560 x 1600px max) but it corrected itself once I got into Windows 10 proper.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My 2015 MBP kind of does the same thing. In fact, I brought the first one back and exchanged it in the first week, because it sounded like it could've potentially been a loose part. The new one I received in return does the exact same thing the first one did, but it's less severe than what's in the video... it kind of sounds like a small, solid plastic part that slides maybe a few millimeters when the MBP is tipped (generously) side to side. I've only reproduced the sound with the lid closed; I'm not interested in janking it back and forth with the lid open. I'm just going to assume it's normal, but I'm not too sure what it could be. The fan? Aforementioned counterbalance in the display hinge? A very small piece of Steve Jobs' skull?

Whatever it is, it's not causing any issues, so no harm no foul I guess (for now.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Has anyone tried one of these? (MicroSD adapter that sits flush with the case.)

In tandem with a 128GB microSD card, seems like a decent way to expand "internal" storage. I've never used my SD slot though, as I don't own any really -- is it treated like an external drive that needs to be mounted & unmounted, or can you just set it and forget it? Ideally, I'd like to migrate my iTunes library to it, but not if it's gonna be finicky. If I shut the lid/put the MacBook to sleep, can I expect it to stay mounted and not warn me about unmounting every time I come back?

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 20, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

OK, thanks! As long as it doesn't automatically get (hard)unmounted every sleep, I'm all for it. I doubt I'd ever remove it, as I don't use SD cards otherwise. I'm OK with the lesser speed, since it'd probably be strictly music on that thing.

And yeah, I'm on a "you get what you buy and you'll like it" 2015 rMBP.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ApproachingInfinity posted:

It really does feel like a click, pretty neat. Very sensitive though, compared to the ones you actually press down; when I first got one (rMBP 13), I didn't think I was going to like it because it was so much easier to press down enough to get a click out of it. After a day or two I had completely forgotten what the actual ones felt like to click, and now I can't stand how hard you have to press those :shobon:

You can change the pressure needed to activate the first click under trackpad settings; I think medium is more in line with what the old style trackpad felt like. But yea, light setting rules. I don't even use tap to click anymore.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The price is a lil high considering the guy only got 38/18Mbps read/write out of it via USB 3.0. For around $60 you can get a 128GB microSD card which has "up to 80Mbps read speed (write slower)" but I have no idea how that'd fare as an external dual boot solution.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

OS X/MacBook Pros are nice for programming/development because OS X is built on Unix, so the terminal is native, and the hardware/software combination is pleasant to use. You've also got a couple of options as far as dual booting goes -- you can use Boot Camp (which is just Apple's software that handles traditional dual booting) or VM software (Parallels is good, but kinda pricey.)

Screen size depends on what your main focus is, and what IDEs you use (if any). I get by fine using text editors to program on a 13", but XCode would probably be more enjoyable on a 15", and I'm positive Photoshop would benefit from the increased screen size. It just wasn't worth it to me, since it's like a $600 jump.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DARPA Dad posted:

Tell me how much I hosed ip and am going to hell forever for buying a new 2015 13" rMBP (8GB, 128GB storage, core i5) on which I intend to write iOS apps and stuff

Xcode may look a little cramped at times, but not really when it matters. You don't need 16GB of memory to write/test phone apps, so I wouldn't say you hosed up at all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IuniusBrutus posted:

Just got back from the Apple Store, which was a surprisingly good experience. Picked up the 8GB/256GB rMBP with AppleCare and a free pair of Beats by Dre by Apple. Cost a poo poo load, but I literally cannot find a single thing wrong with this computer. The screen is fantastic, and I no longer mourn for the loss of my Pixel, and the keyboard and touchpad are great.

Chrome kills batteries on Macs, right? I'm using Safari right now, which is fine, but I use Google services heavily and would like to use Chrome if it works well. Are there any other programs/apps that are generally must-haves?

Chrome is already on the path to improving memory usage/battery destruction, although I don't know if it was a beta comparison in the article I read. Still, give Safari a shot. I used Chrome for like, forever (8 years or so?) on my desktop PC, and had absolutely no quarrels swapping to Safari.

Well, that's not entirely true... Adding new bookmarks to the main bookmark bar adds them to the beginning/left of the list, instead of the end/right of the list. There, there's my only complaint.

Also, Google Maps is a real slog in Safari, whereas I hear it's perfect in Chrome. Go figure!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

You can also partition it to use some of that terabyte for storage if you wish, since you probably don't need the full drive for backups. The only caveat to that (and why some people recommend you don't do this) is drive failure; you lose both your backups and your storage.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That's actually pretty cool, but would be better if it was in a micro PC/HTPC case or something. Very strange that it's quieter under load?

Bob Morales posted:

Looks like Enclosure + PSU + video card + drivers

http://forum.techinferno.com/implem...Bnesone%5D.html

A bunch of guys on Reddit are doing it too

But this is just insane.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 30, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rabid Snake posted:

WELP so that late 2013 15" MacBook Pro I bought a bit ago for $1600 was having graphical issues when it switched from the integrated to discrete card. Luckily it had Apple care on it because the previous owner never mentioned the screen flickering. They replaced the logic board, wiped out SSD, and finally replaced the screen but the problem still persisted. They put on an older 10.10 image on there and it still gave us screen flickering in the Apple Store. They wanted to replace the logic board again. I was kinda frustrated at this point because I'd be out of the computer for another 5 days.

So they ended up just replacing the whole machine with a new 2015 1TB 15" MBP. The catch was that the Apple care didn't transfer. I have to buy apple care for it again but that's not bad. I have peace of mind buying any used Apple hardware as long as there's any Apple care left on the machine.

This reminds me of when I bought a used (second or third-gen) iPod off of eBay for a too-good-to-be-true price, and it started clicking and taking forever to sync only a month or so into owning it. I went to the Apple store with it ready to lie my rear end off about buying it brand new and taking perfect care of it and I lost the receipt and blah blah blah (I was like 18 ok), turns out it still had a few weeks of AppleCare left on it and they just gave me a new one before I could even get the chance to bullshit them. It's good to hear AppleCare is still awesome.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bob Morales posted:

Can you get a wireless-c router for < $50 yet?

I haven't seen any, but haven't been looking that thoroughly. The average low for ac seems to be around $80. Best Buy will have this one on sale for $89.99 for Black Friday, and is pretty well-received. It also has the added bonus of not looking too much like a Mystery Science Theater 3000 prop.

Edit: more than one person on Newegg is complaining about the 5GHz band, so eh... proceed with caution. I might pick one up regardless, since I'm still working with a trusty but nigh obsolete 10+ year-old WRT54GL.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 24, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dantheman650 posted:

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. It appears the extra $300 between the 13" Air and 13" MBP get you a Retina display, and a slightly (much?) better video card and processor. Is that about the size of it?

That's correct. Both are fine for coding and daily general use, but newish stuff like Diablo III is not going to run very well at all on the Air, and even still, probably not great on the Pro. Blizzard are kings of optimization, though, so you may be able to get good performance out of the Pro on "medium" settings. At the end of the day, it's a 1.5GB memory integrated GPU. Gaming on Macs is just not a thing, at least, not in the vein of PC gaming.

I'd splurge for the Pro for the Retina display and chip in the extra $80ish or so to bump up to 16GB RAM. With that, you can hit this weird Mac only coding boot camp with a beautiful beast with memory to spare for huge compiles full of infinite loops and virtual machines for when you want/need to run Windows/Linux/etc.

That difference in price for the Retina display alone is well worth it, but the spec bump in CPU/GPU/RAM is appreciably noticeable, as well. My 13" rMBP is by far the best display in my household; it's wonderful to look at, and you want a screen that's wonderful to look at if you're going to learn to code on it (i.e. stare at it for hours.) I was on my Windows PC with 2 23" 1080p cheapo ASUS monitors this weekend for a Visual Studio project, and was counting the minutes to when I could stop torturing my eyes with how borderline lovely everything looked in comparison.

enojy fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 7, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Generic Monk posted:

Diablo 3 works fine on the rmbp iirc, you might need to dial the resolution down to get a good framerate but it's perfectly doable. There's a surprising amount of mac games on steam; not windows league but definitely more than you'd think.

That's true. I'm kinda selling the MBP short by saying that, but I guess what I meant was not to expect "$1200+ gaming laptop" performance out of it. That price tag gets eaten up by a number of other things before gaming performance (like the illuminated Apple logo uhuhuhu)

Beast posted:

Mac thread - am I making any errors here -

Looking to get a new MacBook for my other half to replace her ageing 2007 white MacBook (which still works perfectly but Apple decided to stop making iTunes for it and thus after upgrading her phone to ios9 she cannot sync it anymore - no warning prior to this of course) ....

Looking at MacBooks, best option seems to be 13" retina MacBook Pro? The "new" MacBook looks like worse specs all round for the same money, who is buying them???

Presume that 256 gig will be ok for storage - she doesn't do anything majorly storage heavy with it, how much space do you end up with after os x etc installed?

Also - I also presume any external usb DVD drive will work on a Mac - or do you have shell out for the SuperDrive?

The new MacBook is for pre-Project Mayhem Edward Norton in Fight Club -- always on a plane, can afford to throw $1300 at some random thing that strikes his fancy. It's a MacBook Air with a Retina display, a MacBook Pro price tag, and a whole lot less ports. It's really light and portable, and technically impressive, but what's the difference in a pound and a third of an inch of thickness when you're carrying a laptop anyway?

OS X is pretty small; I think El Capitan is 10-11GB. 256GB should be plenty, as long as your other half doesn't have an ultra huge photos/music collection. And yes, any USB drive will work.

Edit: I misread, I thought you said external hard drive. I have no idea if any USB external DVD drive will work.

enojy fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 7, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Djarum posted:

Ok I am having the weirdest issue and I can't find a fix for it. Mid 2013 MBA, and since the update to 10.11.2 when and only when doing certain actions in Safari (opening a new tab, trying to load certain webpages, etc.) my WIFI connection will drop and it will need to reconnect. Chrome and Firefox have no issues at all and all other Applications work perfectly fine. I don't know what Apple did with this last update but it is driving me mad. I don't want to use the other browsers since they drain the battery and generate more heat than I prefer.

I hope someone out there knows of a fix for this.

Are you sure it's your entire wifi connection, or is it just Safari? I started encountering the latter not too long ago, and disabling Safari's DNS prefetching did the trick I think.

code:
defaults write com.apple.safari WebKitDNSPrefetchingEnabled -boolean false

Toggling "false" to "true" toggles it back on.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Djarum posted:

Well the WIFI icon on the toolbar goes white and looks like it reconnects again, it could just be Safari but I haven't had anything else running that I could be testing to make sure it is true. It disconnects for a second before coming back so most things don't even notice it.

I'll try this at the very least since it can't hurt.

Oh, hmm... I couldn't say if I was having the same wifi icon behavior, since I almost always run Safari in full screen. IRC wouldn't disconnect when it happened, but I'm pretty sure an IRC connection would survive a little blip in wifi, so that's no real indication.

My issue was, after some arbitrary amount of time, most (if not all) websites wouldn't load. Re-opening Safari would immediately fix it, so I figured it was restricted to Safari somehow. Haven't had the issue since disabling DNS prefetching a couple of days ago, but YMMV.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I Am Crake posted:

Now that I've decided to get the 256GB 13" mbp when the new one comes out (hopefully April or so), is it wise to get the 16GB RAM version?

I won't need it as the heaviest things I will use it for is some simple editing in Adobe Premiere once in a while, some Photoshopping and maybe some gaming. What I'm afraid of is 8GB as a standard is running out of style and 3 years from now will be a major limitation or at least a reason for people willing to pay a lot less second hand.

The price difference is 200 euros. Do you guys think that investment will mean a meaningful increase in lifespan and resale value? I'm most concerned about lifespan as this laptop is going to be a big investment for me and I hope to make it last.

Yes, definitely. I went with 8GB and started wishing I had more RAM to spare once I started using virtual machines. Premiere and Photoshop are guaranteed memory hogs as well. Are you sure it's a 200 euro difference? When I was buying, I think the jump from 8GB to 16GB was only like $80 USD.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I Am Crake posted:

Apple pricing is a nightmare :(

Edit - these prices are without the education discount, which I'll be getting, but it's still awful.

Gah! Well... I will say that my entry level 13" 2015 rMBP fits the bill just fine, but it'd be nice to be able to dedicate something more like 8GB to my Windows 7 VM so both OSes ran great at the same time. FWIW, it is pretty drat fast memory, so while you may notice some minor slowdown from swapping going on if you bounce between photo/video editing and other applications, it probably won't be too devastating. You may not even notice it in a way that isn't negligible (e.g. Safari reloading a webpage.)

I really can't speak for future. I hastily went for the 8GB config to penny pinch, and because my current similarly-specced PC had no issues with 8GB of RAM, but it's nearly five years old at this point. Also, because I was getting a steal of a deal from coupon stacking at Best Buy, and they don't/didn't sell a 16GB 13" config.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only major difference between 2014 and 2015 models is the Force Touch trackpad. Everything else is negligible bumps -- slightly faster SSD, memory, etc. Either one is recommended, but if it's a difference of $100 or more, I'd probably opt for the 2014.

RAM vs. storage: memory is soldered onto the mainboard, and is permanently unupgradable. The SSD can be upgraded, but not terribly easily, probably voids your warranty, and the OEM part is super expensive. It's really up to you which one you splurge on, if not both. Personally, I don't mind toting around a 2TB USB 3.0 drive the size of a smartphone, so I'd opt for the memory. That's me, though!

Also keep in mind, unless things have changed, refurbished units are WYSIWYG and cannot be upgraded.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 9, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Snowmankilla posted:

Seems weird to buy later years vs this year's. Is force touch not worth while?

Seems like Ram makes more sense then storage. A small external is a great idea. And I hate to tip off how dumb I am but what is wysiwyg?

Force Touch is certainly worth while, but not something that's currently a dealbreaker. A lot of its functionality is simply carried over from a past trackpad gesture of tapping/pressing with three fingers, so you aren't even missing out on much of anything without it. I can't say for sure, but you may not be missing out on anything at all, actually.

What I do like much more than Force Touch is the new trackpad in the 2015 -- it's a glass slab that doesn't actually move, but "clicks" by way of a terse vibration motor beneath the trackpad (Apple's dumb Proper Capitalized Name for it is "Taptic Engine.") You can adjust the strength of the vibration, and even mute the fake click sound it so it's borderline silent. The whole "fake click and fake sound" sounds cheesy, but it's very convincing. Because it doesn't actually move when pressed, all clicks from any spot on the trackpad feel uniform, and this perk really goes a long way in usability. If the 2014 has that same uniform click sensation, then I'd say both are equal enough.

I agree that RAM makes more sense than storage in a purely subjective way. I program, run virtual machines, and pretend to make/edit music, which are all things that love to soak up as much memory as is afforded. Of course, the latter two benefit from a bunch of storage as well, but that's what my external drive is for. It really just boils down to budget vs. use case. If you were to say you're looking for what boils down to an all-in-one Internet machine that houses your 500GB music/movie collection, storage would definitely take precedence over memory. If you plan on doing any sort of power user stuff, memory becomes much more important. Right now, you get more bang for your buck upgrading the memory over the storage, but if you don't foresee yourself trying to play heavy duty games, editing multimedia, or running virtual machines, it might not be an upgrade you even need! You won't notice that extra memory in any appreciable way otherwise; for the moment, 8GB is plenty to drive El Capitan and plenty of everyday multitasking without issue.

Finally, don't feel like you have to upgrade too hard. The page you read about going with 8GB RAM and 256GB internal storage sounds like a pretty good sweet spot; enough memory for most general tasks, and enough storage for you to install a healthy number of applications as well as keeping a reasonably-sized iTunes library without having to resort to external storage.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a 2015 13" MBP with 8gb of ram and an i5. How boned am I going to be now that I am starting CS classes? I'm trying to decide if I should sell it before the Skylake models drop and resale value starts to tank, or if the 8gb of RAM won't kill me before it's time to upgrade anyways.

You're fine. I finished a CS degree with the same, and it was good even when I had to run a Windows 10 virtual machine for a class that required Visual Studio.

FYI, Windows 7 feels much better if you find yourself needing to run a VM for school and only want to dedicate 2-4GB of RAM. I only did Windows 10 because I found out a particular assignment required Visual Studio the day it was due (heh heh CS student amirite) and panic-downloaded Windows 10, VMWare Fusion 8, and Visual Studio at school to get up and running as fast as I could. I later nuked that VM to try Windows 7 instead, and it's generally more pleasant, but I'm very partial to Windows 7 when it comes to Windows.

Finally, check with your school/department to see if you can get copies of all of the above for free! You may end up needing some or all of those.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Generic Monk posted:

it's a lovely machine and basically part of the default CS student starter pack along with like a blue hoodie and those gross wire frame eyeglasses

You're forgetting a crucial staple: a pure Android phone with Reddit burned into the display.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The rear end Stooge posted:

It's sad how true this is. Although I still prefer the original ADB mouse:

I remember using these in elementary school on Apple IIe's. I loving HATED this mouse, but maybe it was because they were dirty grimey ball mice.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quantum of Phallus posted:

5k iMacs will make every other screen you use look like poo poo so bare that in mind.

Seriously. I played with one at Best Buy the other day for all of 30 seconds and now I can discern pixels on my rMBP. Also got a lol of the non-5k iMac right next to it; looked like straight up poo poo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tide posted:

Quick thing, though...is there any way to make the exit window, minimize window, and expand window icons any bigger and MAYBE move them to top right instead of top left? The look like they are about the size of a pin head.

Maybe, but gently caress 'em. Especially on a 27". Save yourself hours a day and use shortcuts:

Control-Command-F: toggle full screen (green button, sorta)
Command-M: minimize to dock (yellow button)
Command-H: hide (red button, doesn't actually quit like in Windows)
Command-W: close top-most window/tab without quitting
Command-Q: quit (like in Windows)

I do still use the green button for split screen, dunno if there's a shortcut for that. I'm stubborn!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

coolskillrex remix posted:

Just learned the new imac 5k JUST got wide gamut... without an srgb emulation mode

:psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

Why apple? why? That means chrome is going to completely break color-wise. Im a web designer and i want to give you guys money. Until safari code inspector is actually worth a poo poo i cant just give up chrome. Google REALLY should fix their css srgb tagging but i feel like apple is letting me down here.

The year is 2016 and the human race cant figure out something as simple as "how should colors work on monitors?"

I'm not educated in various computer graphic design, but I do understand the importance of an sRPG profile -- could you not just download and apply one in Settings -> Display -> Color? Or is it more important that the hardware (monitor) does this natively?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

keevo posted:

Can someone recommend a hard case for a 13" retina Macbook Pro? I'm leaning towards the Incipio Feather but I was wondering if there was something better. I had that iPearl case for my old laptop but it was trash and I'm pretty sure it broke the hinge for the display.

Looks fine. I have something similar (Speck brand I think) and the only complaint I have is due to it being black -- oily fingerprints build up fast. There is no level of OCD hand washing to prevent it. Oh, and it's pretty drat hard to remove, but as long as you aren't storing/using it anywhere particularly dusty, this shouldn't be a big deal.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Binary Badger posted:

Anything BUT the Speck cover for the 13" rMBP. I had one and within three months, the tiny tabs on the corners near the base of the LCD display cracked off. It began to get chipped at the rim of the cover near the trackpad.

I tried a Kuzy, a noname brand from Amazon, that also had nubs at the corners crack off and cracks appeared in the grille where it supposedly radiates heat out from the shell.

Testing out an Incipio Feather right as we speak, hasn't cracked anywhere since I got it on the weekend..

I went looking for reviews for both products after I posted, and saw a whole lot of that (chipping/cracking, especially at corners.) I haven't had this happen, myself, and my shell is about a year old at this point. I'm as gentle as you'd expect me to be with fragile electronics, but I do pick up and set down my MacBook multiple times a day. A lot of people claim it cracks within months.

After seeing enough pictures, I started to suspect that maybe it's only the glossy versions of the shell (most colors, if not all, are offered in matte or glossy,) but that's just a hunch and not enough to conclude on. Maybe they've just got cheap production quality, or a flawed design. Maybe these people are the type that routinely toss their smartphone onto their desk instead of setting it down. Too many variables at play.

FWIW, I like the design of the Incipio more -- its holding tabs look much better and it tapers down where your wrists rest.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Argali posted:

Also, the data journalist in me finds Backblaze's "stats" rather...interesting.

That image is pretty easy to take out of context. It's from an article they wrote that analyzed one year (or maybe more) of all of the drives they used in their datacenters, which encompassed maybe a few dozen model numbers across brands. IIRC, they were transparent about a particular Seagate model number or manufacturer plant being responsible for the super high failure rate on the offending drives.

Not to defend Seagate, but I've never had a problem with them. I've never had a problem with any hard drive, knock on wood. It's for that reason that I'm a WD guy who also owns hard drives from other brands.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Best Buy just started a huge sale on the 12" MacBook, something like $300 off. That was a huge red flag to me that they'll probably be releasing a 2nd gen MacBook at this month's event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The rear end Stooge posted:

How feasible would it be for Apple to implement Touch ID on MacBooks by making the trackpad a fingerprint sensor? I think it would be pretty cool to not have to type my password anymore.

You can use MacID to kind of do this. One of its features is "tap to unlock," allowing you to create any custom tap gesture on the trackpad to automatically enter your password into any system-level password field (e.g. sleep login screen, administrator privilege pop-up) but won't work on a website's login field, for example.

The only downside is (a) it costs money and (b) requires a newer iOS device (iPhone 4S, iPad etc.) to work in OS X (you have to pair the devices via Bluetooth in order for the OS X client to work -- whether this is necessary or not idk, maybe they implemented this so you'd pay for it? Either way, the Bluetooth pair isn't necessary for tap to unlock, just the initial launch and other proximity-based features.) Its main purpose is to allow you to use Touch ID on your iOS device to unlock your MacBook, but I really only use it for the "tap to unlock" bit, since that's way more convenient. I think it's only like $5, though; well worth it.