Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Dave Thorpe Painting posted:

I've gone through the Apple Store's adapter page, the only thing I'm seeing that would even possibly work would be to go from USB-C -> Thunderbolt 2 -> Firewire 800, but I would still need to get the AV adapter for HDMI.
It's probably easiest to just grab the OWC TB2 dock and the TB2 adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Bob Morales posted:

Apple went all-in on ThunderBolt 3 and I don't think AMD supports that yet do they??
x570 supports tb3: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14455/asrock-x570-aqua-heaviest-flagship-motherboard-ever-with-thunderbolt

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Splinter posted:

Like sure they'll have Logic, but how long until a smaller shop like Ableton can port Live (or all the popular 3rd party plugin makers)?
There are still a ton of Protools shops running ppc macs, others never upgraded to the trashmac, and the vast majority of VST plugins are 2.0 (which was deprecated in 2010 & the sdk was wiped from steinberg’s site in 2018)

It’ll never happen.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Ok Comboomer posted:

If they don’t remove it eventually (lol) you might run a lot of old VSTs that way and never really notice the difference.
I bet they remove it faster than rosetta 1.

I’m almost glad they did this at the head of a global recession - we won’t be buying new hardware for years, so there’s plenty of opportunity to evaluate whether or not we want to keep paying the apple tax.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Having tons of displayport problems on the m1 mini. The recommended moshi cable wouldn’t even connect until I updated the os, and now it disconnects periodically & won’t wake back up until dis/reconnected. Direct usb-c seemed fine, but that doesn’t help a kvm switch user like myself.

Otherwise, feels just like the early x86 days so far. Fast as hell, but no native software and nothing compiles either. Bullshit like vs code being blocked because node won’t build in any flavor that is valid for yarn...

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

movax posted:

This is a good write-up but christ I hate his website and all that wasted space.
He picked the worst car analogy too, seeing as there was a 15 year period where almost all porsche engines suffered from catastrophic bearing failure.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Just got my M1 Mac Mini yesterday - I'm noticing a troubling problem, though - has anyone else experienced their screen (4K monitor connected by USB-C) going black for a few seconds at a time? It's a bit hard to peg down but it seems to happen to me when the "video card" has to change what it's doing (i.e. switching to an iOS app or a full screen game or video).
Yeah, tons of displayport problems here - I have to re-seat the cable every time it goes to sleep as well. Same behavior on 3 different monitors and varieties of cables that work fine on multiple other machines.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Empress Brosephine posted:

Does anyone else Firefox constantly freeze on a M1 Mac mini after wake from sleep?
Yep, also when moving between desktops.