Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Bob Morales posted:

You’re ruined and now can’t ever go back

Well, it took a week. :(

It looks like there isn't a high-resolution option for my 2012 Mini, so that blows. I'm moving it out into the music studio and will really be just using it with Logic going forward, but even Logic looks gorgeous in retina...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

i heard rumblings of the imac pro having face id; maybe they're making use of the secure enclave in the a10 to make that happen?

Integrating the true depth camera into the Mac line would be so loving rad.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Is the 2015 version not thicker/heavier than the current MBP, or am I thinking of another model?

It is, and it's still significant. The new 15" feels like the old 13" did.

The old 15" isn't heavy or huge or anything, but the new stuff is definitely better.

Entropy238 posted:

Preach. My boss has one and I have to constantly deal with his hard drive being full every 2-3 months. Last time it happened it happened during an email crisis as well so like 15GB of emails were trying to download while we were freeing up space and it was a loving nightmare.

256GB is good imo

As a primary machine, absolutely. As a secondary laptop if you're mostly using it as a connection to network / cloud resources I think you could get by but you'd definitely want to make super certain beforehand.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Luceo posted:

:smithicide: I hope that's not true. I'm not sure how much longer my mid-2012 15" MBP will hold out as I wait for Apple to release a non-TB 15".

They're not going to.

The touchbar 15" is cool and good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

There's been three generations of Intel NUCs since the last Mac Mini update. Apple needs to just slap an Apple log on a NUC for $700.

I'm still holding out hope that the Pro and Mini get re-designed at the same time and in a similar fashion.

Mini: i5-i7, consumer RAM, one 2.5" HD slot (please) and a gumstick SSD, integrated video, no PCI slots
Pro: Xeon, ECC RAM, couple of 2.5" HD slots + couple of gumstick SSDs, two PCI slots

Boy will my face be red when the new Mini is ARM-powered and fits in an AppleTV case and the Pro is a levitating sphere that costs $6k but a boy can dream.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I didn't realize the new keyboards (including Magic Keyboard) had the symbols for Option and Control and now I want one. :( I still haven't solidly committed which is which to memory.

Maybe I should sell my Magic Keyboard and get one of the new ones with numpad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Also lol don't do vinyl unless it's for reasons like "I enjoy finding and playing cool old records" rather than being one of the crazy people who think it's better than digital.

Vinyl is fun! I have a pretty small vinyl collection and a basic turntable, and I'll buy an album on vinyl if it's something I really really love. I don't give a poo poo about any audiophile reasons for vinyl, but I like it as a counterbalance to having Apple Music and being able to instantly listen to any song ever recorded wherever I am (and also to maintain the last little bit of owning music in a subscription world.) The slowing down of the process and physicality of it is nice sometimes.