Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

SupahCoolX posted:

You could just remap the key to invoke Launchpad instead of Dashboard in System Preferences > Keyboard. That is reasonable. If you know that and just want the different icon printed on your key... well...

...you could go to an Apple Store and ask a genius nicely. Pop the dashboard key out and see if he'll give you a launchpad key in exchange. They keep a pile of current keys for customers that like to type with fishhooks dangling from their fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Now that I'm back from my 10 day vacation: someone give me a reason not to stop at an Apple Store on the way into work and buy a new 13" Air. :ohdear:

Because we will hate you for being able to afford a 10 day vacation and a 13" Air. :(

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

lol internet. posted:

Looking for some advice.

I'm interested in buying this Mac Mini: http://bit.ly/pwneC7

Just wanted had a couple questions I hope someone could help me with:

1. There should be no reason why I can't install OSX Lion (Non-Server) on this?
2. If I cheap out and purchase the 4GB configuration instead of the 8GB configuration, it shouldn't be too difficult to upgrade the RAM myself correct?
3. How are apples product release cycle? When's the next time they'll announce the next generation version of the mini?
4. This thing would support dual display? DVI + HDMI-> DVI?

1. It will come with it installed
2. Yes, easy
3. No one knows, could be tomorrow, could be 18 months from now
4. Yes

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Then the answer is yes.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

The graphite color plastic means you're a Pro User. :coal:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Auriak posted:

Hey guys, I have kind of an odd request and I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask. I'm trying to reduce the number of cables I have to plug/unplug each time I move my MacBook Pro to and from my desk. I have a set of Logitech speakers that connect via 3.5mm audio jack and would love to be able to plug them in via my USB hub instead. (So there is one less cable for me to connect each time.) Is there some type of adapter I could buy that would allow me to do this? I did some looking on Amazon and it seems the devices that do this are either specialized for smartphones or are full blown external sound cards. Will those work or is there a simpler device that will still use the MBP's internal sound card? Does what I am wanting exist? Is there a better thread for me to ask in? Thanks in advance.

Any audio heading out the USB port would need a DAC to reconstruct it into an audio signal (and drivers to let the system know how to send audio out). That's why all you're finding are audio interfaces.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

illcendiary posted:

She went in, and yeah I'm fairly sure that had something to do with it :)

Well, I guess we know the cost now.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes it's a huge difference.

I wonder why they choose to include the Geforce 9400M but not the GT version for the 2010 MBP. :confused: I know it's still not the greatest, but it was the best you could get at the time. (And I want to know how many fps of Starcraft 2 I'm missing out on).

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Wow. Well at the bare minimum I would start documenting it with the Applecare phone people because of how crazy Apple is about water damage.

:phone: Hello, I just wanted to inform you I'm getting water condensa-
:phoneb: [laughing] *click*

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

flyboi posted:

Don't use an external drive for swap/scratch space. That will hamper performance greatly.

I was rendering some video today on a current Mac Pro. While it was chugging, I checked Activity Monitor and it said FCP was using only 11% of the CPU. Is this my internal HDD write speed bottleneck?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

asaf posted:

being my eventual target platform for development, having an iPad of my own would be very convenient for testing.

There is no substitute for the real thing when it comes to testing. You will find 1000% more information about rotation, multi-touch interface interaction, and performance with a real iPad. The simulator doesn't cut it.

If you do go with a Mini+iPad, remember that the resale value is great for the Mini in case you want to switch to a portable later.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Can anyone recommend an external CD/DVD burner that's a) cheap and b) reliable?

I keep going back and forth about fixing the broken internal one in my 2007 Mac mini. If I did, it would probably be just to sell the thing right away. But I figure having an external will be nice for the new Macbook Air in the house.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

That's definitely not how it works here in the US. Just bought a 4S, extended contract, and had to pay for the phone at the store.

Also: the iPhone thread

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Logitech MX
:hfive: MX500 here

All of the original coating has worn off, but I'll be damned if it isn't the best mouse ever.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

While cutting some pineapple, a piece flew and landed right on the edge of my trackpad. It was enough for a tiny bit of juice to get inside of it. Now every day there is some crystalized sugar inside that crunches until it's been pulverized. No amount of cleaning has gotten ride of it. Fuuuuuck.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

:stare: good lord, that's expensive for some tiny slabs of rubber.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I've had keys and key clips replaced, and they've never charged me. Seems a bit odd that it suddenly costs the same as lunch to get one rubber foot.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hard drive died yesterday. But I ordered an SSD to replace it, so :dance:

Also I don't know what to do with my day. I went outside and there was this super bright disk suspended in the sky. It frightens me.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Zip and Jaz drives still had uses. You could re-write the drive over and over. Zip drives didn't get scratched or shatter in high-speed player. You didn't write a Zip drive and then have an older Zip drive not read it. And Jaz drives were FAST. Burning a 4x CD-R was a huge pain.

Right, for about 7 months until all the problems you mentioned disappeared. I also seem to remember horrendous failure rates in my Zip / Jazz media.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hocus Pocus posted:

...school's leaning towards Mac and Apple do you think investing a bit more money and getting a MacBook Pro is worth it?

I suppose the heart of the question is how important to people find matching their hardware and OS to that of their environment?

I tell my students (teach electro-acoustic music in a university) that the platform doesn't matter at all. If you're a Windows person, use it. There's great software on all platforms.

That said, if for some reason your university expects you to work at home (this is rare in lab-based classes), you may want to match your platform. But again, that's only if there's a really good reason that they've made clear to you.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

Seems like it. Or if you have a 2009/2010 MacBook Pro, it could be the cable.

Or both, which happened to me a few months ago.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just ordered an mStand because I am getting tired of pulling my neck every other month. I'm getting old.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Apple Posts 27" Retina iMac-Sized OS X Mavericks Background

I can't wait for that.

That background is great. Another developer and I were waiting at WWDC and there was a display with it at our table. After about 3 minutes we realized we had both been staring at it hypnotized the whole time.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Thinking about getting a 27" monitor. Maybe a cinema display-- $999 nope.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

It was more a comment of surprise. There are 27" Samsung displays for a third of that. I like to get monitors new to enjoy the brightness before they fade (got an older Cinema display next to me now which is pretty dark).

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cool, didn't know that about LED. I've got one of the old silver ADC connector (barf) displays on its side. It's hilariously tall in portrait mode.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

japtor posted:

Sure about that? Around $300 you're likely seeing 1920x1080 rather than 2560x1440 (or 1600), that resolution jump tends to come with a decent price jump as well. Looking around you're probably looking at $500-600 on the lower end for one of those. Monoprice has one for ~$480 although the customer reviews seem kind of all over the place.

There's random cheap ones from Korea on eBay that a lot of people get, I think those actually are around $300. A bit of a lottery but if you get a good panel it's fine afaik.

Yeah and getting ethernet + USB goodies through the Thunderbolt cable is pretty slick. I guess it makes sense.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

It's a 256. Thanks for the info!

Ahem. *Quarter terabyte*

I was really looking forward to pricing out Mac Pro models. I'm putting in for some research money and need hard numbers.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Dammit. My 2007 Mac mini is the cutoff for Mavericks. I just wanted to run Server on it and throw it in a corner.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Generally, if you can't put Mountain Lion on your machine, you can't put Mavericks on, either. Most likely it's because Mavericks wants a decent graphics chip.. the GMA 950 isn't one, sad to say.

I haven't touched that mini in years, so I didn't know ML wasn't even possible. So now I'm eyeing a $100 2009 Mac mini on eBay for a cheap server box.

edit: also if you want a 2007 2GHz 2GB ram mini with no power cable or working optical drive for CHEAP PM me.

lord funk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 18, 2013

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

No idea if this is a hardware or software question.

I have a 2011 iMac that is always connected to a projector via its displayport out. When you log in, the Finder appears, and about 2 seconds later, the iMac screen goes black. Adjusting the brightness does nothing, and the projector screen stays visible. If you restart, you have about a 50% chance of it happening again. If you just log out, or the screen locks after going to sleep, it always happens.

I can't figure this out. Anyone have a clue?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

decypher posted:

My new 27 inch iMac arrived yesterday.

This is my next new Mac. I thought I'd never go desktop again, but I worked on a 21" all summer and miss it now that I'm back on my 15" MBP. And I'm gonna get a second monitor for it because gently caress why not.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Have any of you held a 12" lately? I forgot how thick they were.

This post brought to you by innuendo.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hooray I have the pink noisies on my 2010 MBP. Just what I needed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Posting from a Mac Pro. It's still a nice machine for Xcode, and matching dual retina monitors is a godsend on the eyes.

Fan noise is amazing for audio. We had an old setup where we remoted a cheese grater across the hall just so our audio lab would be usable. With the MP in there we could have dual monitors / peripherals all attached and convenient.

That said, had it been my money I couldn't have afforded it, and would have bought an iMac.

And holy poo poo three years without a bump. I mean come on.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

flosofl posted:

Love the Pencil. Hands down the best stylus I've ever used. Paired with the iPad Pro it's become indispensable to me. That being said, I wish it had an erase function but I've been trained for years with dumb styluses to use select the eraser icon, so it's not like I really *miss* it. The charging is asinine. I still have no idea why they didn't use the smart connector (which can supply power) and a magnet in the pencil to attach it.

They MS stylus is good, but unfortunately it's coupled with a device running Windows which I have no interest in.

It's sad how half-assed the rollout of the pencil has been. A new iPad line refresh aaaaaaaand it still only works with the 13" Pro :/ New iPhones? No support for the pencil.

And I'm sorry, but it's loving inelegant not to have an eraser function. But I'm with you: the feel of it is really, really good.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

If it wasn't called the pencil, would you be bemoaning the lack of eraser at the end?

Like, clearly you can get used to it, but every artist I've handed it to has immediately flipped it over when they wanted to erase something. It's the kind of thing that, were I the designer, I would have taken a step back and thought: maybe it would be really natural to have an eraser side.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

What? My Apple Pro keyboard does the thing where pressing Caps Lock does nothing; you have to hold it for a short while to make it go. Drives me nuts, but does that not happen on the new keyboards?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Can anyone recommend a wired keyboard that's similar to the now-discontinued Apple Pro Keyboard?

I don't get it. Hey yeah let's make the keyboard for a desktop machine that will always be sitting in front of it require a battery and charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

2011 MBP failed today. Jesus what do I do with this lineup.

I think I would hate the all USB-C port dongle crap, the touch bar feels terrible, and I'm afraid my ESC key habit would drive me insane with it.

Are the non-touch bar models significantly slower? Other than CPU and GPU differences getting the old model seems like a no-brainer.