Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I have a 1TB SATA hard drive that I've been using for about nine months with my Mac Pro. It's been plugged in via an external USB enclosure (This one), and it has stopped working as of a couple of weeks ago. I came into my office to find it lying on its side on a stack of envelopes (normally it's positioned vertically by means of a stand), and it no longer mounts. So clearly it's fallen over, but I wouldn't think that such a short fall would kill it.

What I've done is stick the drive into my extra drive bay on the Mac, and open up Disk Utility. The drive appears greyed out in the list of drives, and a verify/repair process comes out saying, "The volume Big Bertha appears to be OK." However, I'm unable to mount the drive. Whenever I try, I get a message saying, "The disk "Big Bertha" could not be mounted. Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting." Like I said, though, First Aid shows that the drive is fine.

The only thing on this drive is my iTunes library, which is quite large, and it would be a huge pain to lose all of this, especially for such a loving retarded reason (tipping over onto a stack of paper.) Anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I'm at a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

japtor posted:

Open up Console and see what it spits out when you try mounting. I ran into something similar a while back, my problem ended up being a corrupt journal, the console message was something like "journal magic has failed". There's a trick to fix it but I don't know it right now, I'll post it once I find it if that is the problem you're seeing.
Looks like that's it. Here's the exact string that Console is showing:

code:
11/18/11 2:28:19 PM	kernel	jnl: disk1s3: open: journal magic is bad (0x12345678 != 0x4a4e4c78)
Fuckin magic, dude.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

japtor posted:

Yay, found my post about it, whole bunch of :words:, skip the first two paragraphs for a possible solution:

I tried this a bunch of different ways and couldn't get it to recognize any of the locations I wanted to mount the disk to. So I went with zalmoxes idea of using Data Rescue 3, and that's doing the trick. My only hope now is that I can eventually get the drive working again. Thanks for the help, guys!