Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

mike- posted:

I have a monoprice hdmi adapter and it passes audio perfectly.

I have the newer and older monoprice adapter and they both pass audio from 2011 13 in macbook pro perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Lilleput posted:

Apple TV is finally landing in European countries today. But it's probably going to get updated soon anyway right?

I was waiting to see if they were updated today but guess not. Was kind of hoping they threw the A5 in there at this event. I'll wait it out a bit more I guess.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have had two brother laser printers that I have used over the years with different versions of OS X. They're pretty hassle free.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
If you're in NJ amazon started charging tax in July. You can order from BH photo though and save money on state tax. They also have good prices on AppleCare.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Has anyone used a Visa card with warranty extension for any repairs? Is it as simple as the American Express process being described?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
MicroCenter's prices are pretty good. Could also order from bhphoto.com, they have pretty good prices and don't charge sales tax. Their store and warehouse are in NY so it ships pretty quick to NJ.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have a Dell U2713HM and it works with my late 2014 Mac Mini.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it for Justice League 2?

:golfclap:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Think amazon has them on sale right now for $99.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Anker usually has some USB-C dongles on sale on amazon that have USB ports, SD card reader and HDMI.

I have this one.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 8, 2020

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
CBS all access is doing the stand remake. It starts the 17th I think.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Yea, if you read a decent amount on your computer investing in a 4K monitor is worth it. Text looks way better.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

LionArcher posted:

This is true, but to make it comparable to apple retina, you need a 24 inch monitor. 27 4K is much more popular, but it will look fuzzy (text at close anyway) compared to apple laptop screens. 27 for that level of clarity needs 5K screens. It's why my iMac has "ruined" me looking at regular 4K big monitors for my writing work. Even just typing in Scrivener looks so much sharper on my iMac. I just wish more companies made 5K monitors that were of good quality that weren't super expensive.

Yea, I upgraded to a 27 inch 4K and while it is noticeably better than my 27 inch 1440p from years ago, it still gets beat by a retina screen.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Hitch posted:

Any thoughts on the Apple TV? I have an Amazon Fire Cube or whatever and have found it to be super slow. I also have a Samsung TV that has some apps but is also slow. Played around with a Roku at my parents house which feels faster and responsive but may not play well with everything. I just feel like the TV device market is a bit lacking. We have iPhones, Amazon Echos (though Alexa is worthless IMO, a Nest, Ring Doorbell, etc. the whole home device market is all over the place and I hate it bc no one has a good enough ecosystem to go all in on. So long story short, is the new Apple TV coming out on May 24 a good entertainment experience? Any significant changes since I had it last about 10 years ago?

As others have said it's a great box. It's pricey but it's not littered with ads. Apps get updated routinely since it's built off iOS. Even the now old 4K model is plenty fast. One nitpick maybe if you have a a surround receiver is that it doesn't have an option pass through audio. It decodes all audio to PCM and sends that out.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
This made me laugh. Thank you.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
If you have a store close to you check if you can trade in at the store.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I used to use a 27 inch dell running at 1440p with my Mac mini. I upgraded to a 27 inch 4K dell. Running it at 1440p scaled looks better than native 1440p.

Here's a pic I took. 4K monitor running at 1080p.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Did we just get a new thread title?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Monterey will be released next Monday. Think they did a press release after the event.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Anyone have any experience with the mail in trade in process? On the day the new Pros came out I was able to find a store close to me that had them available. I decided instead of driving over I’d just do the same day delivery on it.

I did the entire thing with my Apple Card and initiated a trade in with my older M1 Air. Got the instant credit and I did get the mail in kit Friday. Now my understanding was that Apple Stores do take trade-ins as well and I’d prefer to go that route to eliminate any potential mix ups or lost packages.

I went today to the Apple Store and they tell me that for some reason they can’t take in the Air since it’s not showing up on the order for the Pro for whatever reason. I say fine, I can just mail it in but I decide to call Apple to see what’s what.

They tell me over the phone that because I had the Pro delivered to me I have to mail in my Air instead. I can’t trade it into a store. Is this how it normally is or what’s the deal with it? I can mail it tomorrow if need be but I don’t know I rather just take it myself to a store.

I might just be worrying too much.

Edit: Really thinking on it, it shouldn’t matter if I had it delivered or picked it up myself. Trade ins a trade in. Even on the site it says you can do this:

Edit 2: Spoke to someone else about it over chat this time and I guess the end result is I hosed up and chose to have it mailed in? I don’t know. I’ll just send the drat thing over the mail and be done with it lol.

I've used apple's trade-in program with different devices. So far I haven't had an issue. I take down the tracking number for the label and usually just add that to deliveries app so I can see when it gets to their location.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Sounds like they want to use a mini as a second monitor at home and occasionally use it on the go. You could get a decent IPS monitor for significantly cheaper than a mini, so if you aren't going to use the mini much outside of sidecar I'd say save your money.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I'm using this to connect my Mac mini to a 4K Dell.

USB-IF Certified Cable Matters 10 Gbps Gen 2 USB C to USB C Cable 3.3 ft / 1m with 8K Video and 100W Power Delivery in Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L0F6AJI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_RJBPS0QB7Z42V5FNP3NC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

hypnophant posted:

Since we’re still doing cablechat, anyone have an opinion on cablematters? they look to be a little less bargain basement than monoprice but still have a good inventory

I've bought a few of their cables and haven't had any issues. I thought they were one of the better brands of cables on Amazon.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Yea. Friends and I put in orders. They had a M2 MacBook Air with 24gb of ram and 256 SSD for 800. Hoping they don't cancel.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Figured it was a price error.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I definitely need multiple cables for multiple devices charging at the same time.

Portable Batteries (one for phone, one for tablet or laptop), Steam Deck, Switch, Tablet, Laptop, Watch, Headphones, Phone.

Realistically, I want a 3 outlet 100-150w travel usb c power brick with a usb a port “just in case”.

This is on sale. They had one of these on sale a while ago for like $24. I picked it up and have been using it. Works well so far.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=41986

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Rumors were $3000 USD.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have a Dell Ultrasharp I use with a M2 Mac mini and it uses YCbCr by default. I think I remember tinkering around to see if I could get it to use RGB but I don't do anything needing color accuracy so didn't care enough to actually fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I am using a cable matters USB-C cable that's certified 10gbps Gen 2 by USB-IF and it still does it for what it's worth.