Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hardflip posted:

Retina MacBook Pro Top Tip:

If you've got folders in your dock, right click and change them to display as 'Folder' instead of 'Stack'.

Apparently displaying all those icons stacked on top of each other causes low frame rate when swiping between screens/using Mission Control.

Oh my god I just did this on my late 2007 mbp and it is like night and day.

Slow/jerky swapping between screens was killing my love for mountain lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mdtyson posted:

Boot time is slower, more RAM is used at any given time, apps open slower, Aperture (which I use frequently even though it's taxing on my machine) edits take longer and freezes more frequently. Everything is a good five seconds slower since updating. That being said, this is an old computer and I don't expect anything less - just saying it might not be worth the upgrade if you don't need any of the new features.

I was in a similar boat, but even worse. I fixed everything last night.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=406842537&forumid=22

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

slothrop posted:

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this but anyways...

I've ordered an ssd (crucial m4) for my mid 2009 MBP, I'm hoping I can swap it in, install Mt. Lion via a usb stick and use the old hdd as an external. As far as I can google this should be all good.

What I want to know is: can I simply stick my old hdd in my existing external enclosure and transfer files off it? I want to move WoW, D3 and anything else I can without having to download them again! The hdd is currently set up with an OS X and a Win 7 partition. A bit of googling can't tell me if I can do this or not

It should work. It's just a harddrive.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey guys,I fixed most of my laptop issues, so I don't think I need to buy a new Macbook Pro anymore. But it's still a 2007 model, and showing its age. I only travel about once every two months, so I can live with it at those times.

I work from home, so I'd like to get a nice workstation set up. Since the laptop looks to be stable for my rare travel needs, I'm looking into desktop machines. I don't need to pay the portability premium.

My goal is to get a machine that's going to last me a few years and does multimedia well.

I'd like to be able to throw up a windows VM once in a while, because the application I support is Windows-only. Overall performance of the VM is not a concern. It won't be used for intensive testing or development. It's just that, a few times a week, I find that I need to try to recreate an issue or need screenshots. I'd rather not have to boot into windows to do it.

Bonus points if it wouldn't implode if I tried to run a game (either via bootcamp or natively, I have no intention of gaming in a VM) every now and then, although I know it's difficult to future-proof in that regard.

So with that in mind, mid-grade Mac Mini is mighty tempting, but its age bothers me.

Is it a worthy device as it stands? It's been over a year since it was updated. Are there any solid rumors about a refresh any time soon?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

manero posted:

Not sure about the minis. A year and a half ago I bought a refurbed 27" imac, and it's been great. Slapped an SSD and a bunch of RAM, and it's (hopefully) going to last me a long time.

Looks like replacing the harddrive in the 2011 model requires you to remove the display? That's unfortunate. :(

The RAM looks super easy, though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

I think I know the answer to this question (and I won't like it) but I installed Mountain Lion on my ancient 2007 MBP and about a week afterward, my battery went from 93% health to this.

I've done SMC and PRAM but it still says it isn't charging. AppleCare is obviously not an issue with a five year old laptop, as they've already replaced the battery three times I believe. Anything else I can do to resurrect the beast?

It may have been dead(ish) before, but wasn't reporting correctly. Not that that really helps.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do the 27" Displays come with a thunderbolt cable or have buyable warranty?

You can buy AppleCare for sure. Not sure about the cable, but the web site lists what is in the box.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Willie Tomg posted:

Thank you. Imaging isn't really an option for me, but like I said, everything that counts is already on redundant backups so no biggie.

I'm just pissed that in order to get a price quote from Apple's nearest retail outlet I need to travel an hour each way instead of just calling and getting a ballpark figure like literally every other product and service ever and was wondering if anyone had anecdotal experience with how much a similar repair cost.

Is that normal, by the way? The only way I can figure not giving an estimate for parts and labor on a known problem is to connive a way to get more people into the store to have overpriced phones aggressively sold to them after they drop off their nonfunctioning product. It is not a practice I find endearing.

I've never had anything less than a stellar experience inside an Apple store.

I took in my old 2007 MBP to see if I could get help installing Snow Leopard. Not only did they install it--they installed it free of charge. Not a single person pressured me to buy anything.

Ditto when I was an idiot and jumped in the pool and swam for an hour with my iPhone in my pocket. I went in and got it replaced. Not free, but also no hassle or trouble.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lexicon posted:

Apologies, as this has probably been asked dozens of times in the past: I want my 2012 11" MBA to drive my Dell 23" at its full resolution, while keeping the lid open and the MBA screen off. Basically, I want the option to use the trackpad.

Is this possible? It doesn't seem like it, based on my limited messing around with the display prefs. The only way I get the monitor working as intended is when the MBA is closed - which of course prevents me using the trackpad.

Is there a reason you don't want both monitors active? You could set it up to mirror the displays if you don't want the desktop to span both displays.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lexicon posted:

Yeah, I suppose this would work. Of course, then I'd have the hassle of moving the display to the other side of my desk because my dock is on the left-side of the screen. Rabble rabble rabble firstworldproblems.

There's an app that puts the menubar on all displays. I can't remember what it's called, though. I think it's in the OP of the mac software thread.

Edit: you said Dock. Then I dunno.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

actionjackson posted:

I got my refurb MacBook Air today (current model). Loving the SSD and everything else so far, but for some reason I can't get rid of the notifications icon in the top right. I've tried

code:
sudo launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
several times, but it always comes back after reboot. Any other ideas?

I have no idea how to get rid of the icon itself, but you can alt+click it to disable notifications.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My 2007 MBP doesn't take anywhere near that long. I open it and it's pretty much ready to go. Five, ten seconds, tops.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

b0nes posted:

My buddy has an original MBA, I believe they came in 2 configurations. His was the cheaper one. Not sure of the specs but he upgraded to Lion and he says his system crawls. Will upgrading the RAM/HD increase the speed? I am secretly hopingnot because then it's mine when he upgrades. Ill install something less taxing.

It shouldn't be crawling I have a machine older than that and it runs Mountain Lion fine.

Have you tried resetting the PRAM and SMC?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Legdiian posted:

You can't left and right click at the same time with the MM. If you play games that require that, you will need a new mouse.

This reminds me. I think the magic trackpad is great, but sometimes I want a mouse (like for gaming). Can you have both a magic trackpad and a mouse at the same time? Or do you need to switch out?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oxford Comma posted:

A couple of questions about my Mac Mini:

1) What's the best way to replace the HD with an SSD?
2) Should I buy Apple Care? Can I buy it after I bought my Mac, already?
3) Wireless HDs - which one should I get?

1) http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Mac+Mini+Mid+2011+Hard+Drive+Replacement/6422/1
2) If it's still within warranty, yes. You may have to take it in to be inspected. If you can't, use Square Trade for your warranty. I've nothing but good experiences with them. Search for 20 and 30% off coupons.
3) dunno

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oxford Comma posted:

Yes. A stand-alone HD that my various PCs can have access to via Wi-Fi.

Time Capsule?

Or just grab your favorite drive and attach it to your router.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Okay, due to an unexpected influx of money I'm going to have $2.5k or so to spend on a new workstation for myself. I work from home and am tired of running two janky-rear end old machines (one Windows, one 2008 MBP) to do the work of one modern machine.

I would like to do some light gaming, although the gaming isn't really a big deal. Likewise, I could like the ability to run a Windows VM rather than bootcamping it.

The thing is, I travel juussssst enough for work that a pure desktop solution isn't really viable. The new iMacs are beautiful, and have enough power for my needs, but it's hard to put one on a plane. I certainly can't afford a top-end iMac with a separate laptop.

Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a 15" rMBP (the base model), a laptop stand, and a 22-24" display to go with it. This would eat up the entirety of my $2.5k budget. I don't want to do that, but will if I can't find a better alternative.

I toyed with the idea of getting a Mac Mini for my home use; the RAM is user-upgradeable and I'd probably spring for the fusion drive for a a total of $1100ish. Then I could get a fairly basic Windows laptop for the times I need portability. The laptop thread is bonkers for Thinkpads, and I could get one with the specs want for about $750. Even with a display, this comes out to about $500 cheaper than the rMBP above.

I could go with a Macbook Air instead of a Windows laptop plus the Mini, but that wouldn't be much cheaper than the rMBP, if it were cheaper at all.

What do you guys think?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bought a new 15" Macbook Pro and it's pretty sweet. Huge huge improvement over my 2008 15" MBP, that's for sure.

However, I have two frustrating problems.

1) There's this weird clicking noise that happens every now and then from the area a bit to the right of the trackpad. The ding varies in tone. Sometimes it's metallic and nearly a "ding". Other times it's more of a plasticy "pop". I don't feel anything lose and nothing rattles when I shake. I also can't make it happen at will. But as I use the machine, it pops up from time to time.

I read something that said it may be related to the sudden motion sensor. I disabled SMS but it still happens.

2) Airplay mirroring to my AppleTV loving blows. It stutters and jumps a lot. Audio is better than video but they both do it. Apple TV is wired, MBP is not. I get NO stuttering from my iPhone or the wife's iPad.

Does anyone here know anything about either of these issues?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've got a SSD on its way for my new 15" MBP.

Can I clone my existing HDD over to the SSD before I install? I have a USB enclosure.

Anything else I should know before I install it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks guys. I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any weird "gotcha" type things I needed to be aware of.

Since CCC or SuperDuper can clone the existing HDD to the new SSD, I think I'm good to go.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

I wonder what's going to happen with disk cloning when/if Fusion drives get popular.

It really seems to me that Fusion drives are destined to be short-lived. They exist now because people want storage capacity AND speed that is affordable. As SSDs get bigger and cheaper, the need for a hybrid solution will decrease.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

OEM pricing from Apple on a 2TB SSD isn't going to cost less than an entire MacBook Pro anytime soon.

No, but how many people need 2TB of storage?

500GB may come standard in the next couple of refreshes. 256GB is already standard in a retina 15" MBP.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I bought this SSD for my new 15" MBP:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Hype...53548449&sr=1-1

First, I tried placing it in a USB enclosure, but OSX didn't see it. Neither did Disk Utility. Another drive loaded just fine in the enclosure.

Just in case, I tried putting the SSD into the laptop itself. I booted up from a bootable OSX install USB disk, but the installer couldn't see the SSD either.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this drive come to me DOA?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lexicon posted:

I really like the idea in theory of using a NAS, but it's that sort of reliability bullshit that gives me pause. I just want frictionless backup that I don't need to think about - and Time Capsule, despite its drawbacks, sounds like the best option.

I'm not actually wild about the idea of coupling backup to a router, but it just seems like the least bad of available options for a household with 2 (soon to be 3) Macs - only one of which is operated by a nerd (me).

Have you considered some sort of online cloud backup? Carbonite, Crashplan, Backblaze?

I've used both Carbonite and Crashplan and they're seamless.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'd like to replace the DVD drive in my new 15" mbp with a second harddrive. I know I've seen adapters to do do that but I'm not having a lot of luck while searching.

What's the proper term to search for? And can someone point out a good one?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

movax posted:

"Opti-bay" / "drive doubler" are good terms, though the latter I think is a marketing name from OWC. I bought the OWC-branded one for a bit more, for my 2010 MBP, and it works great. eBay ones can have some tighter mechanical fits, but should work too if you're interested in saving money.

Thanks guys.

I have to say I wasn't expecting these things to be $50+. I may just hold off. This is more a convenience buy than a necessity buy. I have a USB external that will work just fine. I don't move the machine much so unplugging it from time to time isn't a big deal.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

I bought this SSD for my new 15" MBP:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Hype...53548449&sr=1-1

First, I tried placing it in a USB enclosure, but OSX didn't see it. Neither did Disk Utility. Another drive loaded just fine in the enclosure.

Just in case, I tried putting the SSD into the laptop itself. I booted up from a bootable OSX install USB disk, but the installer couldn't see the SSD either.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this drive come to me DOA?

What are the chances of this happening twice?

My replacement drive won't detect either. Not in my external enclosure, not inside my new MBP. The wife's windows machine won't recognize it in the enclosure either. I haven't taken it apart (again!) to try it inside her machine, but I'm not optimistic.

The 500GB hard drive currently in my MBP detects in all of the above places.

Why the hell won't this work? Did I really just get two identical drives, both DOA? :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BlackMK4 posted:

Probably too late, but I had this issue. It was the HDD cable.

In more than one machine? Both internally and in a USB encloaure?

I find that unlikely.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

I think when it sleeps, the MacBook Pro uses like 1% of the battery every hour or two? The Air has a special sleep mode and can live with the lid closed for 30 days but the Pro doesn't work that way. Either way I just close the lid-even though I can reboot and have all my browser tabs etc open in 30 seconds with an SSD. I only power down when I'm doing an update that requires it.

I use CoRD, sometimes almost all day. But I connect to a server in a datacenter, not a VM on my machine. The first thing I would check is how you have the networking setup in your VM software. Bridged, NAT, etc. I've had problems with virtual machines getting a new DHCP address and losing connection with them (when using them as web/db servers).

I, too, use CoRD every day. It's been pretty good.

There's a microsoft-branded RDP client if you really want to go that route.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads?pid=Mactopia_RDC&fid=68346E0D-44D3-4065-99BB-B664B27EE1F0#viewer

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Xabi posted:

I'd like a docking station for my MacBook Pro. Is Henge Docks the way to go?

I looked around at MBP docks a couple months ago and decided that when I do get a dock, it'll be a Henge.

Everything else I've found seems to be prohibitively expensive, but not any better.

The biggest complaint about the Henge docks that I found is that initial setup, where you put all the cables in, is a bit of a pain in the rear end. If you don't do it just right, the MBP won't dock smoothy. If you're far enough off, it won't dock at all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So my new Macbook Pro seems... bluer than usual. The procedure for adjusting color is kind of counterintuitive, and I can't quite tell what's off. Blues are very strong and yellows and/or reds seem dull in comparison.

Run all of the updates. My new mbp was blue as gently caress until I did that. Afterwards, I was able to adjust normally.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

This seems to have done the trick. (And I can actually calibrate color profiles now, instead of being told the specs aren't there.) Thanks.

Yeah. I was pretty pissed at first when I got my MBP. I'm glad updates fixed it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dan Hollis posted:

I've noticed the screen on my macbook pro turns a bluish hue whenever I open certain applications (e.g. iPhoto, Photoshop, Ableton Live.) Have any of you come across this issue?

A smc and pram reset drastically reduced how often this happens to me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SeaborneClink posted:

As and owner of a 128GB, 8GB, 13" MBA, I wish I had been able to wait and spend the extra $300 ($400?) on the 256GB. I did a ton of cleaning the other day and ended up with like 60gb free :toot: but then I had to install parallels and visual studio and civ5 to keep me entertained during dull lectures and I'm back down to ~12GB free.

21 GB - Swap/Sleep
16.2 GB - Windows Image (Parallels)
14.9 GB - Video Files (7.5 GB Videos in Dropbox, 7.4 from phone wtf??)
12 GB - Photos (from old phone)
5.5 GB - Music
14.6 GB - Applications (4.5 GB Civ 5, 3.2 Xcode, 1.5 iPhoto, etc)

So yeah I could probably trim about 32 GB worth of 'media' I just need to get a 64 GB SDXC card and of those nifty flush adapter things people were talking about earlier)

But that would still leave me with ~45 GB free unless I can cut out Parallels, which may entirely be possible, just too early to tell. Needless to say, I will most definitely be upgrading the hard drive next time around.

Can you stick a bigass SD card in there for like photos and video?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maniblack posted:

I have a question regarding the rMBP and I guess here is just as good a place to ask.

My girlfriend has a 15 inch rMBP and she complains constantly about websites and applications that are "blurry". I have taken a look at what she is describing and sometimes I can see it, but sometimes I can't. Is this a common problem, and what have you guys done to resolve it?

Also, she and I have been playing Borderlands 2 (her on the Mac, me on the PC), and playing on the retina screen just makes us both sick. Any idea what could be causing it?

The latter can probably be resolved by raising the FoV settings. Or if it's already high, lower it.

FoV is a frequently cause of nausea in FPS games. If it's too high or too low, it can make people feel queasy because the brain is expecting more (or less) information in the scene.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RudeBoy posted:

Anyone here have an opinion on the latest Mini?

I'm currently using a 2009 MBP (2.8 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM) and am really finding myself needing a desktop at home, mainly since i'd like to have a fall back machine if my MBP ever dies on me.

I was looking into buying a top-line Mini with 2.6GHz i7, and putting in 16BG RAM and an SSD. And I already have a Cinema Display.

My needs are something that can handle some mild photo editing and pretty basic video editing (hobbyist stuff) as well as some Adobe CC apps (Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom, and occasionally After Effects)

I was doing some research and found the lack of a dedicated graphics card a little worrying, but that the on-board Intel chip is an improvement from earlier Minis. I'm not really into gaming either, just Plants Vs. Zombies type poo poo.

The iMac is obviously a better machine, but i'd like to not spend the extra money if I don't have to (i'd have to go with the 27" for the big screen), and save a little for getting a new MBP a little later on.

So, anyone have any advice either way?

The mini should be fine. I do heavy photo editing with one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Don't buy a third-party one. I did, and it died in about three months.

Also, whatever you're doing to kill your chargers, stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If you already have a nice display, and do not need massive computing horsepower, there's no reason not to buy a the mini.

If you don't have a nice mini, or need the extra power, get the iMac.