Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My MacBook Air (1 month old, the 2013 Haswell type) is doing this thing where it powers down randomly during usage, as if the battery were dead. Except it's not--by hitting the power key it comes back up normally. This is right in the middle of me typing things. Is there anything I should take a look at before I bring it in for a replacement? I basically installed 2 things from the App Store and Sublime text and that's it.

Since this is going to be next to impossible to repeat/demonstrate for anyone is there something I should tail in /var/logs after it happens to diagnose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Is it shutting down or just going to sleep? If it's the latter it could be the sleep switch getting triggered if you're wearing something magnetic, like a bracelet or watch or something with a magnetic element.

1997 posted:

I've already seen 10-15 of the newer Airs with that reported issue. At this point I'm sure it will be something addressed in a software update.

Edit: We've replaced peoples computers and it occurs on the new ones with no data being transferred.

That's interesting. My wedding ring is magnetic (meteorite-in-platinum) so I will have to see if I'm close or sweeping near the switch next time. It is just going to sleep, as if I closed the lid.

1997's post makes me think I should just deal with it for now since a swap isn't likely to fix it. Although japtor's post makes me skeptical this can be fixed in software. Thanks guys.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
At Christmas someone dropped their iPad onto my MacBook Air and it split the key cap on the 'A' key. I thought I ordered a replacement keycap but it appears to be the older model. I thought by ordering a replacement for a "mid 2012 Air" I would get the right one but it appears Apple changed it:

The broken key is on the right, my order is on the left. The plastic mechanism in the socket is the original (it works fine) and it appears different. Can anyone point me to the right key cap to order for my 2013 Haswell MBA?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sorry for the bad picture. If you look closely at the attachment points on the underside, they are different layouts. Also the A silkscreen on the replacement would be 90 degrees off in this alignment (the cracked key on the right is facing up, the A on the other side is straight up)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Current update was a little :effort: for what I want. I'd like to replace my 2013 MBA with something that is retina but 13". The 12" MacBook, for me, isn't that great of an option because I feel the jump to 13" is really big. Hopefully something needs suiting comes in June or I'll look back at the PC world I guess.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So can the 13" Pro drive the 5K display? I only see the built-in Iris graphics so I'm thinking no.

If it can work that'd be rad. I was going to get a 15" MBP to replace my 13" MBA since 1440x900 blows, but since the 13 is now 2560x1600 I'm thinking I might be able to keep a 13" screen for the couch and plug-in to a large one and have the best of both worlds.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

So can the 13" Pro drive the 5K display? I only see the built-in Iris graphics so I'm thinking no.

If it can work that'd be rad. I was going to get a 15" MBP to replace my 13" MBA since 1440x900 blows, but since the 13 is now 2560x1600 I'm thinking I might be able to keep a 13" screen for the couch and plug-in to a large one and have the best of both worlds.

Found my answer, from this article it looks like the 15" can drive 4 4K or 2 5K displays at once, the 13" can drive 2 4K or 1 5K.

So I guess I'll get a 13" and 2 4096x2160 displays to plug into it, that's still a lot more resolution than the 2x1920x1200 I'm doing on my desktop now.

e: added that 13" can drive 1 5K monitor, I accidentally left that out because I don't care about that config.

Hed fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 2, 2016

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to get rid of my XPS laptop but kind of want to keep the Thunderbolt dock (one plug to charge and dock with peripherals!).

It's a "Kit - Dell Thunderbolt Dock-TB16 240W adapter, US" and I've seen mixed reviews on whether it works with the current MBP 13" or not online. I'd rather not do some hacky BS kexts or something. Is there any way for me to know for sure before I buy?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

I'm trying to get rid of my XPS laptop but kind of want to keep the Thunderbolt dock (one plug to charge and dock with peripherals!).

It's a "Kit - Dell Thunderbolt Dock-TB16 240W adapter, US" and I've seen mixed reviews on whether it works with the current MBP 13" or not online. I'd rather not do some hacky BS kexts or something. Is there any way for me to know for sure before I buy?

It looks like the MacBook Pro isn't compatible with this dock because even though there's Thunderbolt 3, Apple certifies individual TB3 devices :rolleyes:
You have to use some bullshit that involves disabling System Integrity Protection which is a no-go for me.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My wife’s 2013 MBA just didn’t wake up this morning. She’s on a trip so went to the local fruit stand and they said it was the logic board and would cost $475 for them to repair.

Is this something I should consider repairing myself or just salvage? The computer still fine for what she does but I don’t really want to buy a MBP with the dust issue.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm a donk and didn't realize that the logic board was dependent on every other component and I appear to need to match it up with largely what I had? I had the 8GB i7 mid-2013 MBA refresh and looking at the prices for the board and installation time I think I will just sell this for parts.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought a 13" MBP to replace my wife's dead 2013 MBA (:rip:). Is there a simple USB-C / TB SD card reader? I don't need a huge 8-in-1 on a desk stand that reads everything going back to PCMCIA or whatever.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, those look very good. Picked one up.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It stands for prolapsed dongle :grin:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was going to buy the latest gen MBA as Couchputer and occasional travel companion, is it worth to get AC+ because of the keeb issues or is the fruit stand still helping out when they don’t work?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Or get it from Costco.

But muh gigabytes

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did the MacBook Pro get a spec bump last week?

Wife needs a new MBP, Costco is selling a "2.3GHz" i5 13.3" one while the Apple Store is selling 2.4GHz models as base. I would just wait from Apple but the configurations I like (512 SSD) aren't available for a week. If there was a bump it complicates my wait, although 100MHz by itself probably isn't much to worry about. Still wish 16GB models were more prevalent from any retailer, though.

finally :rip: my 2013 air.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks Bob Morales, really appreciate the explanation. I didn't realize they were selling last year's MBP!

I ordered a specced one from the Store because I need it and the Adoramo was backordered.

Now to figure out how to destroy the data on my '13 MBA SSD and scrap it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got a 2013 MBA that, after a few days, if you hit the power button the screen backlight comes on, it does the "wommmm" Mac sound, but then the backlight shuts off and it doesn't do anything further. I've tried resetting SMC to no effect.

What are my options? If I can't get it fixed 100% where should I sell for scrap? I'd at least like to erase the SSD or clear out the FileVault key before doing so but don't really have a good way to do so.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys excellent thoughts. I forgot specify the mid 2013 MBA but you’ve got me covered. I actually have another TB Mac so just need to solve the MDP <-> USB-C connector issue for the interface.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

2) my flying toasters screensaver started causing kernel panics on mojave. wtf?

Consider going with a light golden brown instead of dark.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

Get a CalDigit T3 hub instead. Worth every penny and if you don't like the length of the included T3 cable, just buy a longer one.

It's what I use and it definitely meets the "single cable plugged into rMBP". It's pricey as it's a Thunderbolt dock and not a USB C dock, but it meets all your needs.

Endorsing this. It is a game changer. For a while it was cheaper from Apple than elsewhere.

Only issue I have is the built in Ethernet doesn’t seem to work with my 2019 MacBook Air, so I use a USB-C dongle instead. It’s what Tim would have wanted.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I carry my MacBook Air, apple power brick, some headphones, dongles, etc. with me all over the place. I'm tired of pulling out a big spaghetti mess from my backpack to get the cable I want.

Can anyone recommend a cable organizing bag (I don't need to carry/protect the MBA).

I was looking at this organizer from Bagsmart: https://www.bagsmart.com/collections/travel/products/universal-cable-organizer

but it looks like the square-ish Apple power adapter wouldn't have a place to live.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys! I ordered some cheap BUBM bag off Amazon but if it doesn’t work I will check some of those additional listings out.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I actually couldn’t ever get the TS3’s Ethernet working in MacOS. Is Tim just that committed to dongle life?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

That dock is awesome and that's an incredible price. I've had mine for almost a year and I've had zero issues with it. (be sure to apply the firmware upgrade from CalDigit, bumps the power over USB-C to 87W)

Thanks for the firmware tip

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My MacBook is gonna fit so many ARM binaries now

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

My sister just got a new 16" MBP this weekend (lol). What in the world is going on in her Chome window? She says several sites do this.

Can this give me an excuse to have her return to store and wait for an M1 MBP to show up in stock?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My 2018 Macbook Air is double tapping the spacebar a bunch. I hit it (usually on the right side) with my thumb and it often puts in multiple spaces, and the OS helpfully converts to period spaces at many points in iMessage and in documents. This thing is about 18 months old and I don't have applecare, what are my options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

i'm not trying to be rude here, but who needs this much power? i'm fascinated by the technology, sure, but what kinds of programs require this kind of power? 3d modeling/advanced graphics, i get. but do people do those on laptops? what other use cases are there?

I get it but I’m coming from a 2018 MBA with 16 GB and the thing is like a chrome book with how fast it goes. This is still going to complement my desktop but I’m erring on the side of performance this time.