Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

fleshweasel posted:

I don't think I see the spots you're talking about.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation, beyond market segmentation, though I'm no expert.

I think he's referring to the black spots on the edge of the viewport in the browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Manky posted:

The hdd in my early 08 MBP is finally unusable. No worries, I've got backups. But could someone point me towards a reliable, small, and preferably cheap ssd I could use for just a system partition? The superdrive barely works anyway so I figure I might as well do the optibay thing.

I really hope the next MBP has an Optibay-like function from the factory like the Mac Mini. The disc drive is just so legacy and chews so much internal space that could be used for more battery or another hard drive.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

kuskus posted:

You're about 6 browser tabs of forgotten browsing away from making use of those extra 2 GB. You'll need it less than you would on a PC but if it's cheap, why not?

The Lion app store download can be easily examined to extract and burn a bootable, installable Lion image if I'm not mistaken. Read up on it. Maybe ask a pal if you can borrow use of their 10.6+ machine for a few hours?

Hmm, how does the App store purchase thing by having a friend proxy work with regards to the tying of the copy of Lion to the hardware serial check for the Lion recovery feature? Or was that a Lion beta thing?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I think there might be splitters out there to split the Headset TRS plug out so you can get a somewhat powered mic port and audio out.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Oh god, the 500GB XT from the last gen froze my late 2007 MacBook up for 2 seconds at a time every 10 seconds after a few minutes of bootup. Fortunately, I was able to find some firmware to disable the SSD part which also complete destroys any value in having a hybrid drive. I wouldn't recommend these hybrid drives to anyone. To keep the SSD part going , I had reformatted with zeros, tried the latest firmware, and some other voodoo but it turns out the best thing to do was to just turn the SSD off with the older "shut down the SSD to stem complaints" firmware. No more horrendous 2 second lags.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 9, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Oh man I hope they delete the disc drives (if it's MBPs).

edit: but it's probably not :'(

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

SimpleCoax posted:

I was hoping for a new look to the update post-it note soon. Something without the yellow and a bit bigger. Looks like they delivered. Ordered.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithmuth/997674912/

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Joe Don Baker posted:

It's not very hard. If you give me the model number of your Mac I can give you the relevant pages from the tear down manual

I would like to add that the iFixit guides are good for this too.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Desjardy posted:

Does Apple usually release new revisions of their Macbook Pro's worldwide, or is it more like the iPhone/iPad with a delayed release in different territories?

The reason I'm curious is because I'll be in Japan for two months during the period of WWDC and am curious as to the likelihood I'll be able to waltz into a fruit stand and pick a new Macbook Pro up during that period.

Another question I think you should ask is about keyboards. I was looking at international keyboards out of curiosity following some hacker news post and I was amazed to see that the Japanese keyboard necessitated a totally different alumininum body atop a unibody MacBook pro.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

echobucket posted:

Holy crap. someone on macosxhints found out if you go a Get Info on the iWorks apps on a Retina MBP, there's a checkbox there labeled "Use Low Resolution", and it's checked by default on Pages, Keynote and Numbers, and if you uncheck it, the text suddenly looks better in iWork.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120623192801218

Some of the images in certain templates are broken if I do this. For example, see the Woodland Invoice app. The leaf is cut off and the photo well drop in for the stamp is missing. The text is fine though.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Well, for Pages at least the functionality is broken. The assets aren't updated too but the broken functionality is more likely to be the reason why that's checked.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Not completely broke, but it's broken. I didn't check for effects on all text documents but here's an example with the "Woodland Invoice" template.

Non-Retina:

http://imgur.com/320Fm

Retina:

http://i.imgur.com/Qj6tZ

In the Retina image, the leaf is cropped incorrectly and the placeholder image drop-in is not there.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 25, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I use it because the auto-update system is good, has a wider selection of extensions, a better security record, and better security defaults (like click-to-run Java during the whole Flashback debacle). In addition, out of third party browsers, they'll never be able to match Safari in nativeness but they try really hard.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I used gigabit ethernet to transfer from my old MacBook to the new one. There was overhead but it was pretty fast. I suppose this won't work if you don't have ethernet on both sides.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
No slot.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
This is probably just meaningless speculation but does this happen with you're plugged in with the grounded power cable on a confirmed to be grounded outlet?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Not yet revealed at least. For instance, I made my decision for a 15" rMBP about 2 weeks before it was revealed.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Shmoogy posted:

AirPort Extreme + external hard drive is pretty much exactly the same. I'm sure there are other routers with USB ports that work pretty seamlessly too.

I thought this wasn't supported?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

jaspertron posted:

So I just realized my 2012 13 inch Pro(non-retina) doesn't have audio in. Doesn't look like the retiana models have it either. What's the alternative here, my google fu is failing me and all I found was some people linking to a sketchy website from the 90's selling $300 pieces of hardware....

There must be an audio in to firewire converter or something that doesn't lose too much quality right?

How about those iPhone headset splitters? Audio pros might object but this should certainly be possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Buddy-01-PC35-PH35-Smartphone-Blackberry/dp/B002SK66OY/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2

This might force you to use headphones though.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
That's why I suggested that adapter splitter thing.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

SeaborneClink posted:

Cross posting from software, because thinking about it more, it could very well be hardware related...

I took a couple episodes of Archer over to my brother's last night on an external hard drive. He hooked up his (older, not sure what model) macbook pro (has a black bezel) up to his TV with a dongle HDMI converter. The playback was really choppy and stuttering and the audio kept getting desynchronized, is this just an issue of underpowered hardware? I remembered that in order to use clamshell you had to have an external keyboard (which he didn't) and initially I thought it might have been because I was running rsync in the background but I killed that and it didn't make a difference. Then I thought he might have had a bunch of poo poo running so I killed his open stuff, rebooted but that still didn't help.

My 2012 MBA has no problem streaming content across my home network, and even less I would imagine playing something off a hard drive.

I just tried hooking up the external to my computer and had zero playback issues.

Content: H264 1280x720 mkv
HDD ext3, using OSXFUSE with the ext2 FUSE module
Playback using MPlayerX

crazysim posted:

The only sketchy thing in there is that OSXFuse setup.

Maybe you could have increased the cache size in Mplayer? Or maybe copy the file to the desktop before playback and see if that makes a difference? Also, what about VLC?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
There are some funky OS buffer and cache things that have to be dealt with in OSXFuse. Your MBA is streaming across the network which means the filesystem on the external doesn't really matter anymore at that point.

If hooking the external directly (not over a network) to your MBA with OSXFuse has it working fine, then I don't know.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I'm using Mplayer OSX Extended.

Try settings similar to this next time then:

http://i.imgur.com/6RKdk.png

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I don't think you need to hold T down and do targeted disk mode. I'm fairly certain that they'll hook up over the network that way and you can just see the other computer through the network in the Finder window.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Binary Badger posted:

In my experience at least one machine has to be in Target Disk Mode to be connected over Thunderbolt.. There's no network connection that appears in the Network Control Panel if you just plug in a live, already OSX booted Mac with a Tbolt cable.

Ah, that's sad to hear. I guess there's not really a replacement for the network support like Firewire except for Gigabit Ethernet I guess. Perhaps a gigabit switch might be helpful here should avoiding use of Targeted Disk mode be desirable.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 22, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Binary Badger posted:

MBA can only come in 4 or 8 GB RAM configs, MBP can be upgraded to 16 GB.

MBA's screen is much better as has been said, 1440 x 900 as opposed to 1200 x 800 on the MBP.

MBP has switchable audio in/out port, MBA just has built in microphone

MBP has a dedicated Firewire 800 port, Air doesn't (though you can just get a Tbolt to FW800 dongle)

MBP has a Kensington cable lock port, MBA has no security port, you have to get hacked-up solution that fits under monitor

MBP has built in SuperDrive, MBA needs an external optical

Education = give it to us cheaper, cheaper! So long as it runs Office and Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing we dont care what you leave out

What happens if you plug in an iPhone headset?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

strokevictim posted:

Not sure it's worth the $79 - looks nice though :)

The special thing about that disc drive is that it is completely powered by one Apple USB port. If you can ditch this and can bear with a disc drive that uses two usb ports (1 for power and 1 for data and power) or one with an external power supply, then the much cheaper alternatives should suffice.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Bob Morales posted:

Crazy part is on the Air the USB ports are on opposite sites of the machine so those drives can be a PITA

Hah, I have this problem too. I don't do discs a lot, but when I do, I plug the power cable into the phone charger.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
And a larger throughput SSD. I'm getting 300MB/s R/W on the current SSD. The new rMBP should beat or match the new Air's 800MB/s R/W.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Bob Morales posted:

You can't use the DisplayPort for input on the MacBook Pros. But, ScreenRecycler does it over software

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

The Air Display people offer something similar as well.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Does this happen with other monitors?

I had this problem with my rMBP too. Did you do the Migration Assistant thing? I had a kernel extension that was loving things up which I had to uninstall which came through Migration Assistant.

Can you download Pacifist and run the "Display Kernel Extensions Report"? It's shareware but it'll let you run it anyway after a wait. It'll show Kernel extensions that weren't provided by Apple. You can probably fit the data you need to show this thread in a screenshot since there should only be a dozen non-Apple-provided extensions at most.

edit:

Also, you can't use external monitors if you have gfxcardStatus locked to the Intel card on the 15" rMBP. Discrete/Nvidia only.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 10, 2013

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Oneiros posted:

Get gfxcardstatus and use it to force integrated graphics only while you're on battery. It's pretty much the only way to make a 2010 Pro usable that way because every drat thing will trigger the discrete GPU otherwise.

I suppose the only drawback of this setup would be external monitors. Apparently, using external monitors on a dual-GPU Retina Macbook Pro with locking to Intel does not work.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

marmot25 posted:

Went to get my swollen battery looked at, since I don't really want this fire hazard sitting around the house. Evidently Geniuses that can talk about macs are in short supply so the wait at my store was five days. I called them this morning to see if I could do a walk in (and was willing to wait all afternoon) and they said "sure, we can fit you in." Got there, was told "there are two walk ins ahead of you" and I asked to still be put on the list, but they said "no dice." I asked them if I could at least just borrow the tri-wing screwdriver so that I can at least get dump the swollen battery and they also said "no" so I asked for a manager. I sat at the personal setup table for awhile with my computer, underbelly exposed, just sitting there. Several customers were very interested to see what can become of a battery. Eventually I noticed that an appointment opened up in SF tomorrow morning so I'll just do that instead. I should have casually asked if they had a class D extinguisher on the premises while I waited.

Insurance company couldn't believe a battery would do such a thing, so they wanted Apple to confirm the root cause before they would pay for it (even though my policy covers "all perils").

They probably wanted some data point for their actuaries.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a tool I can run on a 2007 MBP (C2D 2.4) that will give me the instantaneous cpu freq? I want to check if its throttling as running prime95 can get both cores to over 99C.

If there is no such tool, I would look into finding something that'll run from the terminal and you can just sic watch on said command. Saying, just in case.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

eddiewalker posted:

Most non-Apple routers don't do Time Machine backups. Even with significant hacking it won't work reliably. You'd need a very powerful router to make USB3 worthwhile. My 600mhz Broadcom router maxes the CPU writing to a usb2 disk and I manage maybe 10mB/s to the disk.

Figure I'll share this anecdote I just found out while researching a router and a firmware to replace my current crappy WRT54GL.

I just got an Asus RT-AC66U and it does not support Time Machine. That's cool, I'm covered by Crashplan. Anyway, what's interesting is that the newer but lower specced RT-AC56U does and the corresponding also new higher spec RT-AC68U does. In fact, they read and require a Journaled HFS+ disk through Paragon's proprietary ufs driver to serve a backup that works like a normal Time Machine drive with networked Journaled HFS+ over Appletalk or SMB (dunno in Mavericks) and so on.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

SpoonsForThought posted:

I just bought a new RMBP for use at school and 2 USB ports doesn't really cut it. Can anyone endorse a good USB hub that looks good next to the aluminum?

Looks good is kinda subjective. What do you think of the current offerings on Amazon? Also, are you looking to charge Apple devices off them? If so, what? USB 3.0 mandatory?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
The iOS thread in gadgets is a better place to ask that. I would advise against that though. The iPad 1 only supports up to iOS 6 and (also because it) only has 256MB of RAM.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The iPad 1 only supports up to iOS 5.1.

Ah poo poo, it's even worse than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I sure did love the white breathing LED filling up my bedroom.

I don't miss it. Lid shut, computer sleep is all I need to know.