Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
I had an unfortunate incident with my unibody macbook and what I'd guess you'd call the hinge between the LCD and main part got completely detached and that black piece of plastic popped off. I was pretty amazed the LCD didn't suffer any damage, but the only only thing that is holding the two together is one cable. There is one loose wire that I assume has something to do with the wifi chip since it says I no longer have any wi-fi hardware installed.

Does anyone know if an Apple store would be able to repair this kind of damage, and any idea how much it would cost? The computer still works fine but its kinda awkward having to keep the LCD propped up against something. I don't live anywhere near an Apple store or I'd just go ask them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

spaceship posted:

What do you guys think?

I'd take it back to the Apple Store and exchange it for another one. There shouldn't be any dust inside a brand new iMac.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Im looking at the tech specs page for the retina MBP and I'm kind of confused.

It says "Native Mini DisplayPort Output" but right over that it says "Thunderbolt digital video output". Am I going to be able to reuse the Mini DisplayPort -> DVI adapter I have or will I have to buy a new adapter?

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

I ordered an AirPort Express with the Air that I just bought because I would lose my ability to use ethernet. I thought the AirPort Express could handle a 100Mb internet connection(I don't know anything about routers really, and I figured I just needed one with 802.11n), but it seems as if its not able to(It seems to max out at about 55Mb/s). Should it be able to handle a 100Mb connection?

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Mine is pretty much the same except the link speed says 300Mbit. But both speed tests and downloads from usenet have me pegged at 55-57Mb/s. Looks like I'll have to be returning this.

Too bad because I wanted to use airfoil so I wouldn't have to plug my speakers into my MacBook.

Edit: I see they have a refurbished Airport Extreme in stock, I don't suppose anyone has any experience with those with a connection like this?

Galg fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 24, 2012

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

According to Small Net Builder's review, you should have no problem with the Extreme and a 100 Mbps Internet connection.

I have an extra AEBS 5th-gen that I bought off of SA-Mart about 2 months ago and never got put into its intended role. We could work out a deal if you're interested.

Thanks for the info, sounds like this will work great, and being able to hook up a USB HD to it will be nice.

Unfortunately, I impulse bought that refurb pretty much right after I made the edit or I would try to take that one you have off your hands.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

japtor posted:

Sure your connection itself is doing 100Mb? Here's a review of the new one:
http://abottlerocket.net/post/25269966795/benchmark-new-airport-express-vs-airport-extreme

Looks like it can max out the 100Mb limit fine if you're near enough, maybe that's what's limiting your performance.

I think it'd depend on how everything is connected and where from/to they'd be doing transfers.

I had it on my desk probably about 12" from the Air. I just couldn't get it to go above about 55Mb/s, I have a Belkin N450 which could get up to 9MB/s but was totally unstable and speeds kept jumping all over the place. The express was pretty stable, but didn't ever go above about 6.5-7MB/s. I guess I'll see if the Airport extreme works well otherwise I'm probably going to get a ethernet dongle(ugh).

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

chimz posted:

Megabits != Megabytes:

300 megabits = 37.5 megabytes
57 megabytes = 456 megabits

Ethernet/Wifi links and Internet connections are usually measured in megabits, but file transfers are usually measured in megabytes. Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples?

I understand this, my reply was to the image that FlashBangBob posted of his Network Utility.

My internet connection is 100 Mb/s down( or ~12.5MB/s but there is overhead and such I know), through the AirPort express my speed degrades to around 55 Mb/s(6.8MB/s). Either the Express I got is wonky or it cant handle a 100Mbit/s internet connection.

Galg fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 24, 2012

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

withak posted:

Or your connection isn't actually delivering 100 Mb/s. What do you get if you plug straight into whatever box your internet comes from?
Speed test with modem connected to old MacBook Pro:

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Well I got my AirPort Extreme and its not really an improvement on the Express.

MacBook connected to AirPort Extreme through ethernet:

MacBook Air through Wi-Fi:

Very disappointing, even more so since the USB port on it won't power my hard drive enclosure, ugh.

Galg fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 27, 2012

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Use wide channels was already checked, and it wasn't an option for me to make the network 802.11n only.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Link speed is 300Mbit. I moved around the room, and various parts of the house and speeds were pretty much the same everywhere. I live right next to an electrical substation... I wonder if that could be causing some kind of interference?

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, after I have had a chance to actually use it, I seem to be able to pull down about 75-80Mb/s(rather than the ~40Mb/s the speed tests were showing) which is fine by me and for some reason my external HD enclosure started working with it, so everything worked out pretty well. Just a lesson for me to not freak out about speed tests the second I get the router.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Same here, buddy. Time flies with the MBA.

Love mine as well, this is best computer I've ever owned. I still cant believe how fast this thing boots up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, I think L4D2 runs fine on the 13" Air under OS X. I don't bump down the resolution, but yeah, all settings on low.