Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone have a USB 2.0 hub that works well with OS X and looks good next to a Mac mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks, I'll give that one a shot. It's not powered, but I may be able to rearrange things enough to make that work. Four USB ports on the mini doesn't go far when you have a mouse, keyboard, data drive, and backup drive. I guess Apple expects most people to be using Bluetooth mouse/keyboard nowadays but I have my mini plugged in to a KVM so I need both ports.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently true:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007FNKAXC

Only 120 GB but that's sufficient for a Fusion Drive setup.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the Mac mini it makes a bit more sense, since the base model doesn't have SSD upgrades because Apple.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

What college kids watch DVDs these days, what with the Netflixes and the Amazon Primes and what not.

Redbox?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The people who use Redbox are the same ones who use RCA cables with their HDTVs. :colbert:
Hey, Redbox is awesome! I can get a Blu-Ray for $1.50. Apple or any other service wants $5 for the same rental.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

With an SSD, it seems like there's less to go wrong even if it has been refrigerated. Battery will probably be poo poo at first though, until it warms up.

My iPhone seems to work fine during exercise outside in freezing weather.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Apple wouldn't refresh the Mac Mini's for Haswell / Iris Pro and leave off PCIe flash storage, would they?

I don't see where it would fit, but I figure they're cranking out PCIe SSD's for every other product they make so it'd be worth it to figure out.

I would like it if the next step for Mac mini / iMac would be to have default fusion drives with PCIe flash. The base model can have a very small drive, like 60 GB or so, which is only like $40 more in cost. And then for people who want SSD only, the interfaces are already there.

That's assuming they don't just go SSD only and say that you can use external TB drives if you need space. On the mini, that could enable some even smaller form factors.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone have experience with iMacs and Target Display Mode, to use a PC laptop with it? I currently have a 2.3 GHz i5 Mac mini and my laptop plugged into a DVI KVM, but I would like to get something faster than the mini on the Mac side.

I'm worried it will be flaky, or a pain in the rear end to switch two things every time (display and keyboard+mouse).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh well, that sucks. I do have DisplayPort on my Thinkpad, but obviously not Thunderbolt, and buying an old iMac would defeat the point.

It's kind of a bummer that Thunderbolt and Mini Display Port are compatible ports, but the only supported use of that seems to be plugging a DisplayPort monitor into a Thunderbolt port.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

DIY Fusion drive in a Mac mini is certainly not fun, but it sure does make it a hell of a lot faster. Even stuff like playing a movie in iTunes that is on an external drive now has no delay after clicking on it, and I always figured that was due to the external drive.

I wish Apple let you get the low end mini with Fusion drive. Also $200 is a bit much nowadays where the drive is only $100.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FlashBangBob posted:

I've done it about 5 times in 3 Mac minis that I've owned and I'm a pro at it now. It's like 8 screws, two pulls, and then everything comes out.
Yeah, that's true, I feel like I would do much better if I had to do it again. I had a real hard time getting the last bit of re-assembly done. The shield with the wifi antenna wouldn't go in the exact right place, and then the hard drive under it wasn't lined up with the screw holes, and then I knocked the HD cable off so I had to take a bunch of it apart again. That one step took about 45 minutes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TINA TURNER posted:

Can I use a lovely 3$ Thunderbolt-to-HDMI thing or will it make my macbook catch fire?

Bad display adapters tend to just be annoying, not set fires. Like interference patterns on solid colors, or showing a black screen every few weeks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Using the Apple Store app, the only configs that seem to be in stock for any Macs are the listed ones. Adding customizations changes it from pickup today to ships in 3-5 days. Maybe other Apple stores have more stock than my local one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We need a new computer, to replace a janky PC laptop. In theory, it seems like we should get an iMac, since it's just going to be sitting on a desk. But I'm an SSD convert so it seems like these are our options:

21" iMac ($1099) + SSD ($250) = $1349
vs.
Mac mini ($799) + SSD ($200) + external monitor ($200) = $1199
vs.
11" MacBook Air ($899) + external monitor ($200) + spare keyboard / mouse ($0) = $1099

Now, I admit these are not like-for-like comparisons, they are just the cheapest options. If I sync up the SSD and RAM, the Air gets a lot more expensive, but ... I don't think we need that. And the Air gets us a small laptop "for free" when we need it.

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't pull the trigger? Or suggest something else?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Air. Is the 128GB model enough space?

Yeah, that's probably the biggest question. I don't really want to pay $200 for that upgrade if I can help it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Did they announce an imac hardware refresh yet? We are looking to update, and would rather not buy the year old one.

The assumption is that it was waiting on Broadwell, and then Broadwell was delayed by Intel. But I'm not sure what the benefits of Broadwell are to a desktop PC. I guess a speed bump, and another gen of integrated GPU. Maybe they can do fanless, although I'm not sure how often the iMac runs the fan anyway?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The Mac Mini update will be a whole new ultra-thin design that's slick, beautiful, and shiny. It will also be glued shut so you can't upgrade anything. Comes standard with 5400rpm hard drive and 2x2gigs of RAM.

Agreed except I bet they would put an SSD in it and raise the price some more.

In my ideal world, you couldn't buy a Mac without some kind of Fusion drive in it. Even 32 GB or 64 GB would really help OS performance, and wouldn't cost Apple that much.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Unfortunately, Apple won't add an SSD to the low-end Mac mini, so you have to do it yourself or pay someone. I've done it before, but for this machine, I'd prefer not to.

Edit:

Despite the kind advice, I ended up buying the refurb 128 GB 11" MacBook Air for $769. My justification is that this is not the main Mac in the house, so it's not going to have tons of media or VMs or such. I will report back if I regret that. (Now truthfully I probably should have bought the 2013 for a bit less money, but I just have a hard time buying a "new" 2013 computer and they went out of stock too.)

Amazing how cheap IPS monitors have fallen too. You can get a well reviewed 23" one for $150 on Amazon. So my final cost was around $919, which I'm pretty happy with.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 11, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

You should go to an Apple Store and check the rMBP and MacBook Air in person and decide for yourself which screen you can stare longer at, especially since you said you were a programmer.

Personally, I could never work all day on an 11" or 13" screen, no matter the resolution. External monitors are a necessity. And if you are using an external, Retina or not doesn't really matter. My two cents.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thunderbolt docks can't charge, right? So still need at least two connections when on desktop.

Edit: I thought the Thunderbolt display could do it, but even though they bill it as "one-cable convenience," it's still got two plugs on the Mac end.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 18, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kernel panic posted:

If I was looking for a basic desktop set up, would it make more sense to pick up a refurb iMac or a refurb Mac Mini plus non-Apple monitor, keyboard and mouse? Wouldn't be doing anything extreme, just browsing, light Photoshop and hosting a Plex server. Seems like the Mac Mini setup would be slightly cheaper, but less pretty. Are there any other differences I'm not taking into account?

This monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3329WA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and this keyboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L38VRU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

are what we are currently planning to use to make a MacBook Air work as a desktop machine.

A bit prettier than just buying stock black PC stuff.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone know why Mini DisplayPort never caught on outside of Macs? What was supposed to be the original benefit over hdmi or dvi? I haven't seen a single monitor that supports it other than Apple's.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

japtor posted:

It actually seems to have gotten some decent adoption, not super wide or anything but I've seen it on enough things that I'm not entirely surprised when something has it. Hell DIsplayPort itself still isn't completely ubiquitous, and the mini version is only gonna be a subset of the stuff that is used when size constraints demand it.

The reason this came up is because I'm buying a new monitor to go with a Macbook Air, and nothing has native Mini Display Port. Lower end stuff has DVI and HDMI, and higher end-stuff adds Display Port.

But I guess maybe the monitors were never supposed to have the Mini variant?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We ended up getting this monitor to go with a MacBook Air. It does look very Apple (of a few years ago).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IEZGYNA/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of Retina displays, have websites gotten better about not looking terrible on them? I recall that being a problem when the rMBP first came out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I recall when the Mac mini had such underpowered graphics that it would stutter on the dock genie effect. Good times!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are there even people with 4 GB now who run into problems during light use? I personally never see issues but I mainly just do web browsing and iTunes and iPhoto.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MrBond posted:

Does anyone have a KVM switch that they'd recommend? I need to switch between a desktop and laptop. Amazon's selection is somewhat bewildering, as well as having a surprising amount of VGA ones.

I've used this IOGear one for 3.5 years with a Mac mini and a Thinkpad: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TQYSN8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Generally works great. I like that the only thing I need on my desk is the little switcher unit. And there's no lag after switching until the keyboard and mouse reconnect, which I've seen with other units.

But my one complaint is that I couldn't get it to work with Logitech's unifying receiver. I think the KVM hooks into the USB keyboard to do the hotkey switching, and the unifying receiver acts like a hub and messes it all up. Mouse wouldn't work at all in OS X. So that limits your mouse choices, although I have managed so far. I would read the reviews of any model carefully for this.

Also I have never gotten it to do the "hold down keys while you power on" thing. Have to plug keyboard in directly when that is needed.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 2, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do people think any new non-Retina iMac will have Broadwell, finally? Otherwise I don't know what upgrades Apple could put in. Maybe standard SSDs?

Of course, option (3) is "new Retina iMac, no updates to non-Retina."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why the "finally"? Haswell's not that old, though it seems like people have been talking about Broadwell from the moment Haswell turned up so maybe that makes it seem like a longer time. Regardless, LGA 1150 Broadwell isn't coming this year; only BGA Broadwell-Y and Broadwell-U for SoC (tablet, mini-ITX) applications.

Well, it really has been quite delayed at this point:

quote:

During the company's third quarter earnings call yesterday, CEO Brian Krzanich announced that production of Intel's next-generation Broadwell CPUs would be delayed slightly due to manufacturing issues. CNET reports that a "defect density issue" in the new 14nm manufacturing process was causing lower-than-expected yields and that Intel's first round of fixes didn't improve the yields by the expected amount. Krzanich expressed "confidence" that the issue had been fixed, that it was just a "small blip in the schedule," and that the CPUs would begin mass production in the first quarter of 2014 rather than the fourth quarter of 2013 as expected. Broadwell's successor, codenamed Skylake and due in 2015, will apparently not be affected by the delay.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/intels-next-generation-broadwell-cpus-delayed-due-to-yield-problems/

The "finally" isn't for Apple (for once), it's for Intel.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm kinda miffed that my barely two-year old Mac mini can't use the new Handoff features in Yosemite. Yes, it is called a "mid 2011" but it was for sale until October 2012. That's some fast obsolescence for a desktop machine that is otherwise fine.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's not "obsolete". It can't perform a minor software feature that utilizes new bluetooth and wifi technologies.

You'll live. I promise.

Fair enough, not obsolete. I do think that is one of the major features of Yosemite though. Also don't get AirDrop to iOS on this machine. So I still have to email files around, like an animal.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Here's a really lovely workaround suggestion: What about popping a Windows VM on her computer and then running Aventail on that? Is this a stupid idea?

I think Windows apps would see the VPN connection, but not OS X ones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BT 4.0 is not sufficient for Continuity either. The 2011 models have BT 4.0 but not Continuity.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

So Macrumors just confirmed that the Mac MIni RAM is soldered on and not user replaceable. This suuuuucks.

I'm surprised they did that kind of engineering update without reworking the case more. The thing still has a space for a second HDD, for instance, and was the same size when it had a slot-loading CD.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oof, no more DIY Fusion drive unless you can source the PCI one.

Also, iFixit has their teardown of the Retina iMac up: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Teardown/30260

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 18, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It's probably not the current model. After a hardware refresh they discount the older ones, which aren't really that different in speed.

Yeah, they should really strike through the Apple price or something in that case. You can check what model they are selling by finding the Apple part # on the site and plugging it in to this site: http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

So that top end Macbook is model Z0QC-ME8665 and you find out it's a Late 2013 rMBP that was discontinued in July 2014.

Since B&H is an actual store, they have actual inventory, and they get stuck with it when Apple does a surprise announcement of new hardware. Eventually they have to start dropping the price to get rid of it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Store doesn't have the Retina iMac yet, if anyone wants to see it in person. They said Friday, along with the new iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Teardown of the new mini: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Teardown/30410