Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

It's a 2011 27". I looked on ifixit.com and I couldn't get a frame of reference for where the PSU is located.

Yay my newly acquired ACMT skills came in handy. This is from the service manual. It's the dark grey thing on the upper left:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Toebone posted:

The was a tragic accident between a can of Diet Coke and my unibody Macbook's keyboard, and now a cluster of keys on the right side either don't work or output gibberish. As far as I can see, I have three options:

-Bring to Apple Store, pay them a large amount of money to fix
-Purchase a replacement keyboard off eBay and attempt to fix myself
-Buy a wireless keyboard and deal with it until I buy a new laptop

The Apple Store option is obviously the most expensive, and the wireless keyboard is the easiest but least satisfactory, especially if I would like to sell the laptop in the future. Has anyone here done the replacement on the keyboard themselves, and could offer an opinion on the process? I watched some youtube videos and it seems within my grasp, but I'd like a second opinion.

It's not very hard. If you give me the model number of your Mac I can give you the relevant pages from the tear down manual

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm looking at picking up one of the new iMacs for my home machine. Couple questions:

Any huge glaring problems with them that should make me think twice?
Are they reallllly that thin? In other words is it a big enough difference to make them worth buying instead of refurb previous model?
How is the real world performance on the Fusion drive? Is it worth the extra cost?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If I get one it will definitely be the 27". Funny. I had no idea the 21" model had 5400 RPM drives. My work machine is a Mac Mini with the dual 7200 RPM config and it seems to be fast enough for stuff.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 12, 2012

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've got an SSD in my MBP and Win PC so I know how awesome they are :)

I just didn't know if the Fusion thing was a gimmick or somehow a bad idea. thanks man.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Next week I'm pulling the trigger on a 27" iMac. I'm going with the 3.2Ghz version for the bump in the video card. I asked before about the Fusion drive, and everyone said that the 7200 RPM drive should really be sufficient. I'm going to go with the bigger hard drive since I do need storage. However, I have two other questions:

-Should I bump up the CPU to the i7? I don't really think I'll be doing anything which would really require the hyper-threading.
-Should I bump up the GPU? Is that other card + 1GB more VRAM worth it? I imagine I'll be doing some gaming on my Windows partition?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh wow thanks. That's 680mx is definitely worth it considering the card isn't upgradable later.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Legdiian posted:

Potential good news for anyone waiting on a BTO 27" iMac. My order just shipped a week early! Hopefully they have sorted out the production issues and the shipping times will return to normal.

I was just about to ask this question. I just pulled the trigger on a 27" and was wondering if the shipping estimates were correct or whatever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Most Geniuses are required to ask you if you backed up your data first; somewhere along the line they may make you sign a form where you agree to them not being responsible for the data, if you ever want Apple to perform service on your machine. If, in this day and age, you do your work without having established a backup system (remember Time Machine?) Apple considers it your fault.

When you take a computer in for service, there's several points where the user has to consent to anything, which includes warning them about their data. This is done when the Apple Service Toolkit is done, which has to be done first to initiate any sort of hardware repair. The owner also is supposed to sign a waiver or whatever before it's actually taken away or sent out to a depot for repair.

If you're that paranoid, do a Time Machine backup and secure wipe the hard drive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

kloa posted:

Missed that. No need to get snippy.

Late 2009 MacBook Pro

According to the repair manual, the logic board has to be replaced if the reader is bad. Did you reset the PRAM and SMC? It also suggests booting to another good bootable volume (You want to eliminate any possible software issues).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I also forgot to mention to check your system profiler. This tells you if the SD card reader is even being detected by the OS and logic board.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not being serious here, but what task requires you to burn 10 discs a week in the year 2013?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Did you reset the NVRAM and SMC?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you had the serial of the MacBook I could find out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Posting from my new 27" iMac. Holy poo poo this thing is sweet. I don't know what to do with all this screen real estate.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Wow I haven't seen one of those in a while.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It looks like the Apple Store now has an option for the iMacs to ship with a VESA compatible mount instead of the display stand. I looked on the store and they apparently sell some sort of conversion kit for the 2011 and older iMacs. Is that new too? I hope they can do some sort of kit for the new iMac but it's doubtful. I'd love to just mount the monitor on the wall.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hmm. I'm an AASP. I should look on GSX for the kit.

edit: Figures. You have to take out the LCD panel and get to it through the backside.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 14, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The easiest comparison is like resetting the BIOS to default settings on a PC. It's almost the first thing you do if you're having problems that you know aren't software related.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah try removing flux. If that doesn't work, reset the SMC/NVRAM.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm going to assume you don't have any data to backup.

First, do this http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

You need to know if you have a bad HDD. If the HDD is bad, that's a whole other can of worms. If the HDD is good, just boot with your Lion DVD, run disk utility to reformat the drive and reinstall Lion. Alternately you can purchase ML, download it, make a bootable USB drive with it and do the same thing but with ML. This is assuming you have another Mac to work with.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

echobucket posted:

If this is a new iMac you can't run Lion on it.

True. For some reason I thought he bought a used iMac.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

It is used, but it came upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Checked the serial #. Apple says not eligible. If ML is already purchased, how can I get a download of it?

Is there another Mac you can use? Just log in to the App Store with whatever account purchased ML and download it. Do this: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

movax posted:

Let's just make our own goon Thunderbolt dock, gently caress the haters.

Zybourne Dock?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm sorry man. I thought for a moment I was on the cutting edge of Apple humor.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

andyf posted:

Wanted to give Facetime a test now I've got higher upload speed at home, but was presented with this rather unhappy looking mess when the built in camera (Retina Macbook 15) initialised itself:

I did a power off / cold boot and it was still doing this. I tried doing the hardware diagnostics by holding D when it booted up, but it ran through without a problem. It does also affect other apps, like Skype / Photo Booth too.

Anyone seen this / know what the fix is, or should I pretty much just get it booked in to the nearest Apple Store for a check?

A user had the same problem with an MBA. It's the camera. Take it to a fruit stand and they'll replace the whole top part.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You're gonna want more RAM. If you even can.

He can't. Max is 2GB. I had a late 2006 iMac with that CPU and RAM. 10.7 ran like dog poo poo. I can't even imagine how 10.8 would run. He's better off sticking with 10.6.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I won't derail too much, but it's sorta related. If you take the time to get all your media in a format iTunes likes and setup your ATV and media the way Apple likes, it's an amazing device. It's probably their most under-rated device.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

For non-gaming I really like the Magic Mouse. Apple sells a pretty cheap set of batteries + charger to go with it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The current Boot Camp supports Win8. It's not exactly seamless though as it requires a restart.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Well right now there's a back to school special where you get a $100 App store gift card. Also if someone in your family has a valid .edu email address you can get a slight discount on the computer. Other than that you'll be hard pressed to find a special.

One other thing to check is if your credit card has any discounts. My mom bought an MBA with her Discover and got 5% cashback.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Education pricing offers a base discount on the machine plus other upgrades are also discounted and Apple Care gets a pretty good discount too.

I guess they don't check emails for online purchases. I was thinking of something else I had to get for work recently.

Some discounts might not stack online but if you call their sales people they can try stacking. I had a co-worker who bought a refurb iMac and he got the edu discount plus the refurb price.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 9, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Plus if he buys it and 14 days later a Haswell refresh does come out he can always return it no strings attached and get the new one. But he's talking about iMacs so you're probably not going to see Retina iMac anytime soon and Haswell won't really matter too much since power savings isn't a huge deal on a desktop.

Just pull the trigger now, and I recommend the 27" over the 21" for a ton of reasons.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 9, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

5400RPM drives are terrible but ideally you should do a Fusion drive anyway, which the 21" can do. One other thing is that the RAM is NOT user upgradeable on the 21" but is on the bigger one. If you do get the 21" max out the RAM. The graphics are apparently not a concern for you, so I guess if you're sure it meets your needs go for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What stuff have been doing with it? What programs, games, websites have you used.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oceanlife posted:

Bluetooth, Steam (no games), Skype, Facetime, web browsing.

I noticed the problem as soon as I set my mail up, it was showing 12 hours at the Apple Store. I'm thinking the constant syncing could be doing it?

Mail shouldn't really do that. Were the websites you visited Flash or Silverlight heavy? Youtube or Netflix as was mentioned?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you're really concerned about the battery take it to an Apple Store and they can run a battery test on it to tell you the 'health' of it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Can I plug a Cat 6 cable directly from my MBP to my iMac to transfer poo poo or do I need a router / switch and dhcp?

Go get a thunderbolt cable if both machines have the port. It will save you shitloads of time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That reminds me to ask something. Is a bad HDD cable a common problem in MBPs? The school I work at has a student laptop program that I oversee. Last year several schools switched over to Macs and this year, all but two schools switched, so we have several hundred out there. This year, and just within the past month, I've had probably 10 come back in with bad cables and a few with bad HDDs. This is by far the most common problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Known issue with the 2009s as mentioned above.

These are brand new mid-2012's so I guess it's still a common issue.