Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I was looking for some advice, I have a 27" iMac mid-2010 that seems to need a GPU replacement. A few months ago pink boxes started popping up on screen and eventually the system will freeze until restarted. Everything I've looked up points at the GPU needing a replacement and everyone seems to say the repair from Apple would cost around $600. I've looked up the replacement card and it seems to go for around $299. I've contacted a third party Mac Repair shop and quoted me for $499 plus $90 for labor. I could theoretically try to do the swap myself, I looked up a GPU replacement guide but I'm honestly not sure if I'll be able to pull it off without breaking something else inside. So right now it looks like if I want to continue using this machine I'd have to eat the cost. I'm not looking to spend another $2000 for another iMac, but I feel like dropping $600 to fix a 7 year old machine is kind of a waste of money. What would you all do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU