Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Jack's Flow posted:

And of course I could also just hook up the Air and let it use the iMac's display.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years (hey, maybe they have) you cannot use an iMac as a monitor for some other computer :(

EDIT: I'd skipped over "Target Display Mode" above (read it as s/Display/Disk/), and things have changed. That's really cool -- I last owned an iMac around 2007 and it definitely wasn't a 27", so that's probably how I missed the news. Carry on :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Anybody here using the Acme Made case for the Macbook Air 11"? Picked one up after some research yesterday, and it's a distressingly tight fit.

Some of the handful of reviews I've found imply that it will stretch out as it gets broken in; curious if anybody here can anecdotally back that up.

The other cases I was considering, FWIW, were the Waterfield Suede Jacket and the Tom Bihn Cache (I own one of these for my work 15" MBP and while it's a bit thick/puffy, it's pretty easy to get the laptop into/out of it.)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
My wife and I are trying to upgrade her original (2006, I think; first Intel model) Mac Pro's graphics card. All that seems readily available via OWC and Apple themselves is a couple related ATI cards and an obscenely expensive high end NVidia. (Or the Mac-spec'd NVidia 8800 GT which seems really hard to find these days.)

I need to do more research (scour xlr8yourmac, etc) but I'm curious if there are any well known resources for this sort of thing; how easy/reliable it is to buy regular PC-oriented GPUs and flash them to work with a Mac (not sure if that's the same process as Hackintosh people have to do, or I could go ask there); etc.

We'll probably go the easy route and buy a Radeon HD 5770, but wanted to check here first.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Has anyone here successfully backup-imaged systems which have FileVault (2) enabled without going through an intermediate decryption step? I was hoping raw dd would give me a clone that "just works" (i.e. can be unlocked, mounted etc) but even though the partitions appear identical in diskutil list, gpt -r -vv etc, the resulting drive can't be mounted or unlocked by Disk Utility or diskutil, nor does diskutil coreStorage list find the (again, listed in regular diskutil list) CoreStorage volume.

Only difference is the destination drive is larger than the source, but I don't care about resizing (unless failure to do so is part of the problem somehow...?). Pure "take snapshot of system prior to upgrading/etc, just in case" here, not migrating to a new system or anything.

Most resources out there suggest disabling FileVault during the clone step. That's my last resort, but I was really hoping for a "worry-free" (and "policy-violation free", if I ever had to do this for an employer-owned system) solution with zero chance of accidentally leaving something decrypted.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

bitprophet posted:

even though the partitions appear identical in diskutil list, gpt -r -vv etc, the resulting drive can't be mounted or unlocked by Disk Utility or diskutil, nor does diskutil coreStorage list find the (again, listed in regular diskutil list) CoreStorage volume.

Followup, in case anyone else with a similar problem finds my original question: :what:

After a bunch more faffing about, I figured "time to try disabling FileVault and running another dd"...except as soon as the unlock completed & I booted into recovery mode again, the "failed" clone sprung to life, appearing correctly in Disk Utility (exactly as a clone of the internal drive, as I'd originally expected) and happily unlocking to reveal its contents.

Realized: well duh, there's probably bugs in CoreStorage that don't pop up errors when duplicate UUIDs exist. As soon as there weren't two attached volumes with identical UUIDs, the problem went away. Sure enough, when I attach the clone to another system, it works fine there too. (I had done this earlier, but with the older, source system concurrently attached via Target Disk Mode - thus presumably causing the same conflict.)

A simple "what's up with you violating my expectation of truly unique IDs?" error message would have saved me a lot of time :sigh:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I'm seeing an awful lot of conflicting information about whether the new MacBook Air is, or is not, fanless (driven at least in part by the inclusion of the Y-series CPU or whatever). Does anybody know for 100% certain yet?

Eyeballing it vs a lower-tier (no touch bar) MBP; seems like it boils down to the MBA shedding 1/4 lb, gaining Touch ID but not the Touch Bar (a positive, IMO) but losing a couple USB-C ports (not a deal-breaker) and having half as many (and less powerful) CPU cores. With the price difference being ~$170 USD (at the 16 GB RAM, 256 GB storage tiers on each).

Still sad they didn't keep the 11" form factor alive :cry:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The non-touchbar MBP is dual-core and the CPU is from last year.
Is it, now? I missed that, my remembrance was that it was just generically slower (slower RAM, BUS speeds, smaller caches etc) than the touchbar edition. But you're right, only the top end is quad-core. I think that makes the Air look that much more appealing (especially since Touch ID without any Touch Bar is in itself an honest plus over the full Touch Bar experience...). Thanks for the idiot check!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Bob Morales posted:

Yea it’s weird. A little thinner and lighter than the nTB but no big deal.
Touch ID without the Touch Bar sounds super nice though. And speaking purely for myself, an extra 1/4-1/3 lb lighter, and thinner/wedge shaped, should make a noticeable difference for my back & my backpack's laptop compartment respectively.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Generic Monk posted:

yeah i feel like it's a better choice for most people than the 12"
Yea, to share some context, I evaluated it against my current (rarely used) personal system, a 2015 11" i7 Air; the modern MacBook; and my soon-to-be-former work system, a top-of-the-line 2017 13" MBP w/ TB.

I'm a smol boi with a bad back, so the 11" MBA is my ideal size/weight. That biases me towards Air and MacBook.

But I also need to do Computer Science-y Things™ – run virtual machines/containers & non-virtualized daemons, infrequent compiling from source, the usual power user app crap like Slack, too many Chrome tabs, etc. That tugs me towards a Pro, or at least away from the fanless MacBook.

You can imagine I was excited to see the Air return, even at 13". It's not as much my jam as the souped-up 11" was, but that ship seems to have sailed.

Also...Touch ID. With no Touch Bar. :swoon:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Captain Apollo posted:

Okay thanks, but DisplayPort won't charge my MacBook right?

I guess I'm debating the new Lenovo y27q-20, BenQ EX2780Q (USB-C!), or a GL850 or something.
Some USB-C native monitors might offer power over USB-C (maybe?) but definitely not over DP or HDMI.

A common tactic is to get a separate laptop dock which is itself powered and offers various video outputs. It’s pricey but the CalDigit TS3+ has worked great for me, I assume they have other models; and anything from any brand that does Thunderbolt 3 should be able to marry the peripherals with power, into a single USB-C cable to the laptop. PC makers put these out too (Dell for example).

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 10, 2020

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

cowofwar posted:

I hope you run an office or something because holy smokes that’s a collection.
Just looks like what a computer related worker accumulates over 20 years, to me. If I’d kept my older equipment instead of handing it down to family or selling it, I’d have a similar pile (started obtaining my own computers right around 2000, in fact).

Have a house now and tempted to see if there are any blue/white/graphite era plastic G3/G4 towers (learned hardware by tinkering with those and the previous generation, second hand) still available in good condition for non megabucks, to start a nostalgia collection and/or do comedy gaming PC builds :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
FWIW I’ve a TS3+ that has been mostly reliable across a 2016 MBP and late 2018 MBA, and even worked for a spell with a Dell XPS 13 (Win) and Lenovo Carbon X1 (Ubuntu). Occasional quirky USB issues on the Macs that are equally likely to be the fault of my weird mouse/driver (Evoluent) or KVM switches, as they are the dock.

Speaking of that MBA, I severely regret it; life problems meant I had to replace a laptop right when the only MBA model had the single CPU option of dual core i5; even back on my old early/mid decade MBA 11”s I was using quad i7s, and this thing feels noticeably underpowered vs those and certainly my old work system (near bottom-tier 2016 MBP, no TB).

And now the ARM thing is throwing a wrench into my “put this laptop aside as an inevitable family handmedown and get something better” plans :v: