Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Captain Pike posted:

I just bought a new 13" Retina Macbook pro from MicroCenter in Dallas. Should I get the 'MicroCenter' version of 'AppleCare', or the regular AppleCare?

Get Applecare--as somebody who works in a Mac repair shop, I only ever see sorrow and heartbreak from third party Apple warranties (and this is from somebody who also thinks Micro Center is the bee's knees). Applecare is a really solid warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone ever heard of this happening?

I picked up a 2009 13" MacBook Pro, which seems to work fine.

I've tried replacing the factory HD with a 500GB and 1TB Samsung 860, and with a 120GB PNY drive. Just ones I had laying around.

They won't boot, either inside the laptop or over the USB port. The Apple logo comes up, the status bar makes it half way and then poof the screen blinks and it shuts off.

The laptop appears to work with the factory 160GB HD. I know the older SATA controllers were poo poo when it came to SSD compatibility. This was supposed to be a 2010 so I might send it back anyway.

I know all the 13” Pros had flaky SATA cables, but if you can’t even boot over USB... maybe try booting a different image or OS if you have one?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

yoohoo posted:

So I've got an early 2013 MBPr that I'm getting rid of, but it has a completely busted display. I can't see anything on the screen except for a few flickers of light. I have it setup at the moment so it'll boot to a monitor. I just went to erase the hdd and doing the whole "hold command+R" thing my computer booted to the main display, not the monitor. I can't see anything and I'm not sure what to do. Is there any way I can reformat the hdd without a working display? I.e. have command+r boot to the monitor? I don't have a separate keyboard so I have to keep the lid open. I can get my hands on a keyboard relatively easy if that helps.

But this makes me wonder, once I get through the reformatting I think I'll need to reinstall the OS, and would my computer know to boot to the display? Or would it default back to the display and would I lose the bluetooth connection to the keyboard? Any tips would be helpful.

it’s a long shot, but maybe try hitting command+F1 when your monitor is plugged in and you’re at recovery mode? that’s the “mirror display” key command. depends if it recognizes the screen or not and how much of the os they put into recovery mode

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

BHPhoto used to sell Applecare really cheap. Like $240 for the 15" MBP when it normally went for $350. I wonder if they had some shady thing going on with that.

B&H is shady for sure and should be avoided if at all possible, but that aspect was just them selling Applecare closer to cost. The margins for most resellers on Apple's computers is very very low, but Applecare margins for retailers are pretty generous, which is Apple's way of encouraging stores to actually try to sell Applecare since it's the only part of the transaction the retailer will make money on apart from non-Apple accessories. And since B&H is primarily in the business of selling cameras and camera equipment, cheap Apple computers are just a way for them to get you in the door so you buy your next camera from them.

Spoderman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 30, 2020

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

Does anyone use a protective shell/case for their macbook? I was considering buying one because I'm extremely clumsy and will inevitably scratch any shiny and expensive thing I own, but I don't know how effective they are at actually protecting the laptop.

Back when they still made Macbooks where the Apple logo lit up, using one of those shell cases would actually damage the screen by putting too much pressure on the back of the display, then causing the a little white circle to appear and never go away where the Apple logo light mechanism had pressed down. None of the hard shell case makers ever altered their designs to prevent this from happening (the ones with a circle in the middle to let you see the Apple logo through the case were actually the worst for this).

So, even if they don't cause that exact issue any longer, I wouldn't recommend them. They're not particularly helpful, and they're really hard to remove without breaking if you ever want to clean off the gunk that forms underneath them.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Joe Son posted:

I completely broke my iPad by kneeling on it under the blanket. It’s warped and the screen is shattered and nothing shows, but it’s on and has sound. I have no warranty.

Can apple “repair” this by outright replacing it with another iPad, if I pay the out of warranty service fee?

Typically, yeah. I’ve only seen them refuse to do so when the device is in many many pieces (like when run over by a car).

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Fedule posted:

What if it wasn't? What if they just didn't?

Oh well. They did. The iMac is gonna sell shittons regardless. Here's hoping for next time.

if the chin wasnt there, the new imacs would become notorious for having smudgy screens because most people would directly touch the glass to adjust the angle.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Question, which Mac in the entire history of Macs has had longest OS support from Apple?

2013 Trashcan going on 8 years but still supported. Could the trashcan be a contender for the long supported Mac assuming its no where near being dropped?

i think it’s the macintosh plus. it came out in january 1986 and ran up to system 7.5.5, which was the current OS until 7.6 came out in january 1997. so it just made it in at 11 years

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

FCKGW posted:

MacOS has a terminal therefore it is Linux. Checkmate Linuxailures :smuggo:

downloading PuTTY and turning my windows 98 into a linux distro

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

The Grand Central Fruit Stand has **NO** 16-inch M1 Pros in stock and only 8 core 14-inchers.

The nice Fruit Lady said I would have better luck 'online' :rolleyes: rather than sending me on a ragtag wandering quest across the NYC hellscape

Another guy suggested I try NJ or Staten Island..

maybe call some of the third party places like mikey's hookup or mike's tech shop, or even b&h/adorama? i know tekserve (RIP) would often have a half decent stock of macs that were scarce at the fruit stand.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

microsoft’s new intellimouse is very good but you need to hook it up to a windows machine exactly once to turn off the gamer light or at least configure it to your gamer preferences.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3_sJDjPN8Q

Lol how much money has Apple yet to lose on these keyboards. Remember when the butterfly KB first came out and people were like 'these are great!'.

the best praise i ever heard was “you’ll get used to it”

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Oh yeah, the toilet lid iBook and its groundbreaking built-in AirPort wifi. Doesn't even require a PCMCIA card or anything! I remember marching around the office with one of those just out of the box, being On The INTERNET!! on my COMPUTER!!

Call me basic but that stevenote nerd rock concert poo poo was just so drat much fun

sorry to break it to ya steve fan but wwdc is so much better now that it’s a three hour commercial with two new promo videos per individual product and a big slide recapping literally all the new features they announced like “revolutionary new H2 chip”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Bought my first Apple silicon Mac. I kinda needed a 16in MBP just for the screen. Trying to limp it until m4/m5 to get a better spec machine.

Not sure if this was truly worth it but money went to a goon so there’s that.

$1100
M1 Pro
16in
16gb
1Tb

that’s the same machine i have. it’s still rock solid for anything i throw at it, i think you’ll be happy with it.