Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Re: Locking MacBooks to tables because your hospital employs thieves:

Similar to that thing that goes through the hinge posted eariler, Griffin is selling this: http://store.griffintechnology.com/techsafe-cable-lock-system

I feel like kind of a shill even posting it, because I just got a press release about it, but it could be of interest. I'm pretty sure most of their stuff is crap, but hey.

edit: they say you can safely close the lid while it's in there, so that's good.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Foiltha posted:

So I found this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388873,00.asp

They benched Crysis on the mid-Mini with the 6630M and got ~48 fps at 1280x720 on medium settings. Seems pretty decent, no? Now could someone just bench Starcraft 2 for me :( I'm getting the Mini mainly for programming and making music but I'd love to be able to play SC2 every now and then.

If it runs Crysis that well, I think one can extrapolate that it will kick the poop out of SC2.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've actually been considering an iPad + Mini combo, with the Mini doing HTPC duties, light gaming, and whatever the iPad can't do. My only concern is that I do a lot of long-form writing, and I'm a little wary of how that would work out with that setup.

Since the iPad came out, it has been my primary machine for writing, and... it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. I just ordered an 11 inch MacBook Air, because I'm tired of carrying an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard around all the time. Serious typing on the screen is not feasible.

(Also, the Apple Bluetooth keyboard is not cut out for portable use, because the power button gets hit all the time accidentally and then it turns on the screen, and the batteries in your keyboard and iPad get drained. I could probably have found a more suitable keyboard, but :effort:.)

On the software side, it's good, since so many apps support cloud services like dropbox and google docs and crap. Still though, the lack of memory and true multitasking suck when you need to reference stuff on the web and look at emails while writing, though that stuff is probably a bit better on the iPad 2.

edit: I still plan to use my iPad for some writing-related tasks, like when I'm walking around the floor at something like GDC. Then, when I get back to my hotel room, I'll break out the air to write stuff up for real. So basically what I'm saying is that depending on what you do, you should get one of each Apple product, and then your bases will be covered.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 23, 2011

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

mik posted:

MBA-roulette

This stresses me out. As I sit here obsessively :f5:ing the tracking info (Alaska!), I'm now going to be worrying about whether or not I got stuck with a lovely display.

I would rather have not known there was a difference!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Boris the Blade posted:

Any suggestions then?

http://www.sfbags.com/products/macbookair-cases/macbookair-cases.php

I'm using the Air Smart Case on my 11" and it's great; it has a nice tight fit :mmmhmm:. It's not quite the type of design you seem to be looking for, but I'd suggest looking at their other stuff. I had their SleeveCase for my old Macbook, and it was really good. They make nice, durable stuff that's fitted properly to the target device.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

AlternateAccount posted:

Pretty sure every modern pro camera can push your photos over via WiFi. And even if they don’t, WiFi capable SD cards exist.

That’s great in a pinch, but it doesn’t cut it for heavy use, like someone who can fill multiple cards on a shoot. And I’m not about to move high bitrate 4K videos over wifi.

Cameras are, like, really popular, especially among the kind of crowd that buys “prosumer” computer poo poo. I don’t understand why people keep talking about it like it’s a weird edge case.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Shaocaholica posted:

Apples core market are not tech savvy and not creative professionals. Can you really blame them for catering to them?

Seems weird then that the ads for the pro are all about creative professionals. I mean, what the heck is the thin Macbook for, then?

I guess the thinking behind the marketing could be that non-techies will see it and think, “if it’s good enough for professional video production, it should be great for having my identity stolen and forwarding racist chain emails to my grandkids!”

I mean, I wish I could get away with one of the non-pros for my tasks. The original Air was my favorite laptop of all time. I just need the pro for pro stuff.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Fun fact about colors: my Windows laptop has an awesome super-wide gamut 4K display, which I calibrated with one of those thingies, and man it does work great, except that tons of Windows applications (including built-in Microsoft apps) just ignore color management altogether. It's infuriating.

One really weird thing that I've missed about having a Mac, and I'm super looking forward to with the one I'm getting, is having a good selection of word processors that can render text worth a poo poo. You've got markdown editors out the wazoo, script writing programs and a bunch of good distraction-free writers.

The selection on windows is really terrible for some reason. The few attempts at slick editors just wither before they get their poo poo together. Does MacOS just have some great framework built-in for that kind of thing? What's the deal? Why doesn't Windows get stuff like Byword and Highland? Is this another one of those user perception things, where people think that only macs are for writing?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Those crazy temperature-related performance spikes are very real. I just tested it out with my new Pro with the i7 with a couple of games, and it'll be a nice 60fps for about a minute, and then the drops start happening. Like, I can't even play Diablo 3 on this thing.

The center chunk where it's just shooting up and down is me idling in the lobby in Fortnite. I was watching the FPS counter bounce back and forth between 60 and 1.

edit: I could live with some normal throttling, but it's like it's halting the processor altogether every few seconds. It's totally unusable. I didn't get this as a gaming machine, but it doesn't bode well. It's a well-worn cliche, but how does this kind of thing make it past any reasonable testing?

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 19, 2018

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, I stupidly didn't screenshot the whole window, but it looked like it was closely tied to temperature.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Linguica posted:

Word on the street is that the new MBPs don't throttle nearly so badly if you use an app like https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control and janitor the fan curve to actually blow more air than Jony wants you to.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I don't care if it sounds like a jet engine if it'll help.

edit: tried it, made a massive difference. Thanks for the heads up! But also what the hell are y'all doin' apple. :pwn:

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 19, 2018

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I hope Intel fixes their thing so the lines don’t keep breaking. It can’t handle how extreme the performance drops are.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I tried to download something and watch a video at the same time. I guess it's unfair of me to expect this new "pro" machine to be able to handle such a high end task.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

~Coxy posted:

Is this a joke post?

Nope. This thing eats poo poo constantly.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That makes me think it had to be some eleventh hour change that threw everything off.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Glad I formatted a Time Machine drive last night. :unsmith:

I'd be feeling some buyer's remorse around now if I'd bought this thing.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I have the i7 and it has the same issues as the i9.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm installing the update. I'll report back with more unscientific tests.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I just played a big battle in Total War: WARHAMMER and a skirmish in Battletech, both of which made the graph jump around like crazy before. With the update installed it was smooth sailing.

And I'm in a warehouse with no air conditioning in 83f degree weather.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Over There posted:

I'm assuming this makes a big difference for i7s as well?

It does for me!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I still just instapaper everything like prehistoric man.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hey, so I want to use Boot Camp to get Windows running off an external drive (leave my li'l SSD alone!), and I found some recent instructions to get it going here: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/2018-macbook-pro-13in-boot-camp-windows-on-external-ssd/

Before I take a huge dump all over my computer, I just wanted to check in here to see if anyone has done this, and if you have any advice. Like, "It's a huge headache, don't bother," or "Check these gnarly tips'n'tricks, brah."

edit: maybe this should have gone in the software thread. I wasn't sure where it was more appropriate. I have a 2018 15" Macbook Pro in case it matters.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 4, 2019

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Newton Pro

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fedule posted:

I don't see it. They had the opportunities to put notches on the iPads Pro, Air and Mini, and in all cases chose to maintain bezel and screen margin uniformity, even in cases like the iPad Mini which you'd think would be the product most likely for them to want to try and elicit some "ooh, thin bezels" reactions by cheating a little with, and the iPad Pro, where they had the most stuff to cram into the camera array.

I think it makes more sense on a laptop, where there’s no reason to put your hands on the edges of the screen. With a tablet, you need a place to hold it, and you need more to grab onto than you do with a smaller, lighter phone that you can clamp on the edge or cradle like a lil’ baby squirrel.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
iMac Thicc

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

AlternateAccount posted:

MOW YOUR GRASS TIM

I hope he put on some tick repellant

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I want a gesture coach so I can pretend to be an alien, too.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
God, who cares about any of this chip stuff, I just want to see what the new powerbooks look like.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Excited for the speakers.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Binary Badger posted:

Holy gently caress where did 238 new posts come from..

Thanks to the notch, you can fit 238 more posts in the thread.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

LionArcher posted:

I'm happy they are keeping the cheaper AirPods around too, and I'm curious if the new ones fit as well. (I prefer that style over the more in ear feel of the AirPods Pro).

Same. The silicone tip style buds never fit me right, and even if you get custom
IEMs, I don’t like the feeling of it. You can hear your heart beat and your teeth knocking into each other when you have that much isolation, and it gets sweaty.

Regular-rear end AirPods are some of the most comfortable things I’ve ever worn, and they already sound surprisingly good. If the new ones step up the audio game further, they’ll be awesome.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Arivia posted:

Call me loving blind but I really can’t tell a difference on my iPad Pro. Like it’s a very nice screen but every time I’ve thought something special was going on I’ve checked the content metadata or whatever and it’s just regular old 1080p60.

If you want the best chance to spot the difference for fun, put it next to a 60 hz device and scroll through the thread real fast on both.

I also find it very noticeable in things like springboard animations, like opening and closing apps and folders, or unlocking the device.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The next time I lose this thing, I'll just shrug and move on with my life!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Data Graham posted:

- performance in general only being "on par" with comparable Wintel hardware, … "really impressive ... for a laptop"

Still gonna buy one even if it's no faster than this 2012 because what can I do

For me if you start there and take into account the lower power consumption and heat generation, then I’m dancing in the street.

My 2018 intel MacBook Pro is a joke.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Ok Comboomer posted:

Somebody posted a link to the original MR iPod reaction thread from 20 years ago here last week and it’s all people furious that it isn’t a new Pippin designed to compete with Palm Pilots, etc.

Ahem, I think you mean Newton. :colbert: Rip in peace newton and pippin

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
What if I want the best possible framerate in Pathways Into Darkness?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Hasturtium posted:

I know this is tongue in cheek but OG 1993 Pathways took like an m68020 with System 6.0.5 and 2MB RAM. I'd guess the emulator Basilisk II is up to the job if you have access to the proper ROM. There are at least two JIT Basilisk ports for ARM chips being actively worked on to give you a leg up for any kind of performance-intensive elder Mac apps. That said, the Aleph One port should work on an M1 anything.

Awesome, I fully intend to revisit some classic Mac games from my youth one of these days. Maybe when there’s a stable M1-optimized version I’ll get into it whole hog! I was a Mac kid starting with the SE (and an Apple II kid before that), and I have fond memories of a lot of weird games.

I’ve also had a weird urge to make a HyperCard game for years.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 1, 2021

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I went for a beefy configuration of the 16. I feel like I have to switch to Final Cut and start using ProRes for everything to justify it.

For, you know, home movies of my kids and pets.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Buying the 8TB seems absolutely insane to me given the cost increase, I can never imagine having that much on local storage

That's only about one hour of 8K raw footage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I think I remember my black polycarbonate MacBook smelling like a gyro stand after a while. Memories…