Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Holy crap Apple likes making people happy. I just exchanged my 3-week-old 13" Air (4GB/256GB/C2D) for the new one (4GB/256GB/i7) and got the $100 price difference back!

Faster processor? Thunderbolt? Backlit keyboard? Let us pay you for those. The only downside was a minor drop in graphics.

Glad that the "2 weeks" window was a little flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

fishmech posted:

Yeah but who really goes with no wifi? You get 5 hours easily with the wifi on, it's great.

I turn mine off when I need to concentrate on work.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

The Thunderbolt port on the new MBAs looks like the same shape as the display port on the old MBAs. Does that mean that VGA/DVI connectors made for the 2010 MBA can plug into the Thunderbolt port on the new MBA?

Yes. I'm using one now. In fact, it's not MBA-specific. I bought this one for a 2009 MBP.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

movax posted:

Interested to hear some reports from goons who've hooked up their Airs to an external display.

I hooked mine (13" 2011) to a Dell E2311H, which has a native resolution of 1920x1080. Poor results - poor contrast (whereas the same display works great with my Dell E6500 notebook). I moved the MBA to an older Dell 2005PFW running at 1680x1050 and it's working really well.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

japtor posted:

This sounds like a basic calibration thing that can be taken care of within a minute or so with the built in calibrator. Or just see if any of the other default display profiles look better.

Believe me, I went through all that.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

ndrake posted:

Is anyone using this fancy hybrid HD/SSD, the seagate momentus XT? It sounds nice, but I'm not sure how much I trust it to "learn" my commonly used files. Does this work in real life? If you dual boot with windows does it just confuse the hell out of the drive? And can you (or do you need to) use the trim enabler with lion for the SSD partition? Similarly, does the phantom lion recovery partition work well with this drive (i.e. it won't accidentally partition off part of the SSD that would be used for speeding up the computer, right?). I'm going to pick up either this or the WD scorpio black to upgrade my 09 MBP.

I have been using a 500GB Momentus for quite a while (also in a 2009 MBP), and there are a few misconceptions at the heart of this post. Mostly, it's not separate partitions. The drive presents as one drive to the host and the flash cache is handled by the onboard controllers. So none of the partitioning questions are relevant: There's no SSD to trim; disk utilities have no idea there's flash cache; recovery software won't overwrite anything but the persistent magnetic storage.

Any benefits of the caching will be lost by frequent dual-booting, but otherwise, it's been a good drive with some solid read performance gains over time.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

flyboi posted:

Office 2011. It 'works' but it's a single-threaded application

What?

Edit: I'm currently writing a book in Word (not my choice) with a template full of various published-mandated styles, and I've got Activity Monitor open on another display. I'm watching Word add and remove threads as I go about my work.

2011 13" MBA, no lag of any kind. Not sure what you're experiencing, but your diagnosis isn't the right one.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 12, 2011

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

It has multiple threads but is only using one at a time, in other words it's not able to use multiple cores simultaneously.

That's certainly true for Excel 2011, but not Word. There was a lengthy discussion about the threading models on the Ars forums when it shipped.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

NerdsMcGee posted:

How will SATA3 speeds be affected if I put an SSD in the OptiBay and leave the HD in the HD Bay to use the sudden motion sensor? (On a new 15" of course.)

From everything I've read, you'll have a lot of trouble waking it from sleep to the OS if it's in the OptiBay.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

snoozeallday posted:

So if I added this to my 2010 i5 15" MBP:

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE240G 2.5" 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Would I love it?

How much do you like filling out RMA forms?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

sbt posted:

Can someone recommend a decent usb hub?

I have an iMac and a Belkin 7-port hub. It does the hubbing business well enough, but the drat thing keeps waking up my computer from sleep. Sometimes immediately after putting the machine to sleep and sometimes in the middle of the night. My "solution" for this so far has been unplugging the thing before putting the computer to sleep. :(

I found by googling that others have had these problems with belkin crap as well. I found no proper solutions though, besides "get a better hub".

I use a couple of these and have had no such problems: http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=221

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Not sure if this is a hardware (decoder) or software (player) problem, but the DVD Player app on my 13" MBA has stopped playing sound from both physical discs (using MBA external Superdrive) and ISOs. Other apps play sound just fine, and the discs can be ripped by Handbrake including the audio.

Is there some hidden mute setting I'm overlooking, or a preference file I can delete?

Relevant info:

Version of DVD Player:

Files I've deleted and let be recreated, to no avail:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I always thought pro audio was mostly on USB?

Nope.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Do you play on your lap? What about putting it on a stand?

V V V yes, I think it is :)

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 9, 2012

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What external HD's are you guys using with your Macbook Airs?

I almost bought a Toshiba Canivio because they were cheap and in stock locally, but it looks like people are having issues with them and only with the Air.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3526534

Wrong thread linked? That one doesn't mention Airs, it's all MBPs and minis.

I use Passports of assorted sizes, and they've been fine.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

From the link kuskus posted, what's the device to the left of the Macbook in the picture? Appears to be a headphone amp or something, but it's too small for Google image search to pick up.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks. Is it odd that I'm disappointed it's part of the speakers and not some more interesting audio controller?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but is there a HDD enclosure that works with a 2011 MBA that doesn't require a separate AC adapter? Everything I see powered by USB uses a Y cable which is problematic for the Air with only one USB port per side.

I've been patiently waiting for a Thunderbolt enclosure but it seems like that's a long time in coming.

I've been using this one for about 6 months with my 2011 MBA: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038L4AS6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Looking for advice: I'm replacing a 2011 13" MBA. I'm considering either a new 8/512 GB 13" MBA or a similarly-equipped retina 13" MBP from the refurb store. Prices are comparable.

I travel a lot, and the MBA has been great for that. I do general purpose stuff with it (web/mail/video watching/remote desktop), as well as keeping a bootcamp partition for Windows-only stuff.

Are there enough compelling reasons to go with the MBP, even with the additional weight?

Thanks for any insight.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks everyone. Now to keep my fingers crossed there's a 13" rMBP on the refurb shop when I am ready to buy.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, I was on the middle of the fence a year ago between an rMBP and MBA, but when I went into a Fruit Stand and tried reading PDF manuals and comics on the Retina vs. a standard screen, I found I had a fuckton less eyestrain when using the Retina's screen.

If you stare at the screen a lot, the Retina is worth it for the extra time you get before you start rubbing your eyes in exhaustion, as opposed to a non-Retina, IMO.

I took the collective advice, stopped by the Store yesterday and compared the two. No doubt, the Retina was noticeably better. I ordered a refurb 16gb/512gb today! VMWare will be so happy.

Thanks all.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

triteon posted:

I ordered a refurbished rMBP 13" Mid-2014, 2.8ghz i5, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd. They gave me a 3ghz i7, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd! Is this an error in my favor or are they known to do things like this?

That happened to me today. Same specs ordered as you, got the same boost. VMWare will be even happier!

Even cooler was being waited on at the Fruit Stand by a blind kid, assisted by VoiceOver throughout the whole transaction and initial setup. Amazing times.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Pivo posted:

Does anyone know if there's a USB adapter out there for Apple's proprietary PCIe SSDs? You may remember I water-damaged my mid-2014 rMBP within a month of getting it, I got it replaced by insurance, but now I have this rMBP with a dead mainboard. The SSD *probably* works, the display *probably* works. I know I'll need another machine to test the display so I can sell that as-is, but it'd be nice to a) verify the SSD works b) delete my data off of it.

I don't feel like messing around with the innards of the replacement rMBP while it's still under warranty.

I've had one of these for years, since they sent me one with a drive upgrade
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

I wouldn't trust OWC's drives, their Auras overheat in MBAs, if they're bigger than 120 GB in my ANECDOTAL experience.

My anecdote is equally as reliable, I'm sure. I've had a 460GB Aura 3G in my 13"MBA for three years without a problem. Of course the warranty's only 3 years, so who knows what will happen next!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Not sure if this is software or hardware. In Disk Utility, how do I get rid of this drive I no longer have?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

Oooh-kay, if that's all over now...

I don't even know if this is the right thread, but I have a pretty weird question. Can I somehow plug my mac onto a VCR, record stuff on it, then somehow transfer it back to my computer, preferably so that it goes through an old TV as well? I basically want to run some video through a VHS tape.

What about something like an EyeTV adapter?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

enMTW posted:

I will see if I can find a public copy of it.

If you can't, post its name or enough specifics that I can find it with my Gartner account.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Eh, that was intended for noobs and people just getting their feet wet Mac-wise. If you feel you must white knight people who want to rip off people who don't know about the scammers, go right ahead, doodyface.

I love you.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

1st AD posted:

What serious work do you do on your laptop?
:justpost:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I pulled 2 old Macs out of my basement. Need to get rid of them before we move at the end of the month. Is either useful to anyone somewhere, or should I just take them to electronics recycling?

•12" PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz PowerPC, 1.25GB RAM (yes, I know it's obsolete, but maybe someone has a need?)
•17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz Core2Due 8GB RAM

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

it works, although I think the battery doesn't hold a charge. Yours for shipping. PM me to get the ball rolling.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

No PMs? Netscape? Middle of nowhere Michigan? Are you sure you wouldn't rather have the PowerBook G4? :)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

I pulled 2 old Macs out of my basement. Need to get rid of them before we move at the end of the month. Is either useful to anyone somewhere, or should I just take them to electronics recycling?

•12" PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz PowerPC, 1.25GB RAM (yes, I know it's obsolete, but maybe someone has a need?)
•17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz Core2Due 8GB RAM

I'm a dumbass who should have looked in the box before posting. It's a 15", not a 17".

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Weedle posted:

I was serious about the Powerbook earlier btw. I don't have PMs but I would like it if it isn't already spoken for.

I'm not selling them, I'm giving them away. (I'm pretty sure that's within the rules here.) Send me your info to beefnoodle at comcast . net

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Both machines are spoken for. Thanks everyone!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Publicly apologizing to Bob Morales for backing out on him. My wife claimed the MBP for her sister. Sorry, buddy.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Hey, it's Pivo irrelevant story time!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I'm a PC/MBP user, was looking into picking up a vertical dock (Henge dock) for my MBP but was curious to find out if anyone has experience with/can comment on how successful they've been in utilizing a video switch to go back and forth between PC & Macbook. A KVM would be ideal but I don't mind using a separate mac keyboard/mouse if need-be. I really just want to be able to use my 27" (non-mac) display for doing photo work at my desk.

Any PC/MBP switching people out there?

I returned my Henge dock. The connectors were terrible.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

mediaphage posted:

That's what's great about these services since they let you pay extra to download tracks for offline listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Triglav posted:

Microsoft added or is adding Unix stuff to Windows 10. Probably won't work perfectly, though. I don't know any more details beyond the headline.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx