Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Bob Morales posted:

I have a MacBook Pro, iPad Mini and an iPhone but other than syncing music with iTunes I don't use any of the other stuff to link them. iMessage, iCloud, Safari shared bookmarks...None of it.

tuyop posted:

Why would you do this to yourself?

To be able to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

got it got it need it got it got it got it need it need it....

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

For the cost of the 15" rMBP, you could do just fine with the 13" and an external display at each location.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

I run a couple of projects, SETI, MilkyWay@home, couple of others..

Whoa, SETI@Home is still a thing? I used to contribute to that 15+ years ago.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

macOS Compton

I'll pour out a 4k.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm not even sure who the customer for macs are anymore, it's becoming increasingly rare to meet someone under 30 who even owns a laptop. They'll always be around for writers and engineers and serious creators but I guess we're finally moving to that world where 90% of people just don't own a computer anymore.

This isn't anywhere remotely true. According to Pew, 80% of adults in the US under 30 own a computer*. That's down from 90% in 2010, so there's a modest decline, but nothing like what you're asserting.

*That's measured separately from tablet, smartphone, e-reader, etc.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

On a scale of it's nothing to I'm hosed because Apple stores are closed, how bad to fix is a sticky space bar on a 2018 Macbook Pro? In the most first world of problems, I spilled soy sauce from sushi on it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

On a scale of it's nothing to I'm hosed because Apple stores are closed, how bad to fix is a sticky space bar on a 2018 Macbook Pro? In the most first world of problems, I spilled soy sauce from sushi on it.

The answer seems to be: I am hosed to the tune of $544.94 if I do Apple mail-in repair. Expensive sushi.

Happily, since it wasn't under warranty/Applecare, it was worth trying to fix it myself. Can't void a non-existent warranty.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 31, 2020

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

It is a Butterfly Shrimp issue

:discourse:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

mail it in if you have applecare+

I bought it used* and never bought Applecare. Expensive lesson.

*Seller never bought Applecare either.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I went back quite a few pages but can't find it: can someone repost the link to the util that toggles turbo on an MBP? Thanks

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

My workspace these days.

Getting ready to pull the main board for a repaste on a 17". New battery too.

Nice looking setup!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I really want to go back to using clamshell mode for my new MacBook but the touchid sensor has spoiled me. (I don't care about the touch bar.) Are there any external equivalents?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

Unlock with Apple Watch, I suppose.

facepalm.gif

Thanks!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Costco online has a “hot buy” until the 16th of October.

The deal also includes 50% off AppleCare+

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 12, 2020

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

In Feb this year I bought a 2018 13" MBP from a co-worker for $1000. Today I got $750 trade-in for it from Apple toward an M1. I'm pretty happy with my depreciation.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

SourKraut posted:

This made me curious, since I have a 2014 15" rMBP 16/512 that I'd be willing to trade in, and it looks like Apple would offer $490. That just seems... low?

Which seems low? The $490 or the $750?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

It does still interfere with HDCP though, I think.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Just note that if you're like me and like to use Logitech devices that use a Unifying Receiver, all of Caldigit's docks seem to have issues with the Unifying Receiver due to (poor shielding of?) the USB-A ports, since they apparently throw off quite a bit of EMI. Otherwise, yeah, they're great.

Anecdotes are not data, etc: I use the TS with a unifying receiver with no issues.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

SourKraut posted:

No poo poo, but there are a lot of individuals who have reported issues with them, to the extent that Caldigit has even confirmed it has been an issue and recommended that affected individuals use a USB extension cable to shift the unifying receiver further from the dock.

So it’s great that yours is working great and I’m envious, but it’s clearly a repeatable issue others have had, including myself with two Caldigit USB-C Pro docks that I own that have this issue on both. And of course there are a lot of other variables, but you shouldn’t simply dismiss someone’s experience because “mine works!”

Since it’s something that Caldigit has publicly indicated that they know about it, I was simply wanting to make them aware of it because having more information, anecdotal or not, is never a bad thing in terms of being an informed buyer.

Cool, next time put that ~information~ in your first reply. Yours read “mine broke, they’re all bad” with zero actionable info.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Or you could not be an unreasonable smartass in your reply, and simply either post your own experience or actually go google the issue and learn that your experience may in fact not be the sole one to expect.

:lol:

You mean like I did?

New topic: somewhere in this thread someone posted a link to a site that's tracking what's M1 (and Big Sur) ready. Searching for it was fruitless. Can someone re-share it? I'm looking specifically for music software migration status. TIA

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Thank you!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Fedule posted:

Can't lie, I immediately checked the trade value of my Intel Air.

Turns out £1600 in April is only worth £500 now. Yikes. I know these things don't hold value like phones but drat. Oh well. I'm not going to impulse buy an M1 or even an M2 probably, this things still doing fine, but every time the fans spin up I'm going to sigh imperceptibly.

That's what I've been doing every day at my 2018 intel MBP since ordering an M1. The fans ARE JUST SO NOTICEABLY LOUD NOW.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

B&H has the Caldigit TS3 plus for $190 today, shipped, which is the lowest price I've seen ($10 below AMZ today even with coupon)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434943-REG/caldigit_500561_ts3_thunderbolt_3_docking.html/overview

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Is it worth getting the battery serviced/replaced on a 2014 i7/16GB/2512GB 13" MBP? It's got the dreaded "Service recommended" note in System Information. I don't know what the service cost would be.

I only keep it around to run older software or use the USB SuperDrive when I find an old CD/DVD lying around and want to rip it. Resale/trade-in value is not worth looking for the box. Is there anything preventing me from extending its life just by plugging it in when I take it out of the drawer for a task and ignoring the battery?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

It will run at half speed if you do that but it sounds like maybe that’s not an issue.

Ah, right, thanks.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a Retina right? it's $200

$200 for the battery replacement?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Kingnothing posted:

It’s $200 which includes a new battery and keyboard/top housing.

Frankly, for such low use, I’d ignore the battery and use in plugged in. Generally any performance hit won’t be enough to gently caress how that workflow you’re using.

Thanks, I was confirming that the $200 was for the battery and not the resale/trade-in value. I'll have to think about it further.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Gotta say, the experience of connecting my outgoing MBP to my incoming M1 Air with a USB-C cable and letting it migrate is pretty nice and seems even easier than Firewire target disc mode was back in the day.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Edge Chromium for M1 now available in Canary channel. https://msft.it/6018pn6ym

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

You’d think that it would work like the phone lol.

Guess not though!

Also I’m not even logged into Twitter on that Mac which is :shrug:

Are you showing all devices at the bottom, or are you filtering for the M1?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I'm looking for something like this USB-C Hub for my M1 mini. All I'm finding are no-name (at least to me) brands. At a minimum I want a place to stick a SATA drive, and some additional USB-A and -C ports. I don't need video connections. Any recommendations?

https://wgbus.com/products/mac-m1-usb-c-docking-station-with-hdd-enclosure

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

For those evaluating memory: I now have an M1 mini, 8GB/256GB, and an M1 MBA 16/1TB. The mini just chugs compared to the MBA with the same load in Safari, and when opening/switching to Messages, or Photos. I have to believe it's the RAM difference.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a way to tell if an app is M1 native or using Rosetta? Not that it’s a big deal I’m just curious which apps have been updated.

Here's one way, via Get Info

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Bummer.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/01/15/apple-blocks-m1-mac-iphone-app-side-loading/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

I'm looking for something like this USB-C Hub for my M1 mini. All I'm finding are no-name (at least to me) brands. At a minimum I want a place to stick a SATA drive, and some additional USB-A and -C ports. I don't need video connections. Any recommendations?

https://wgbus.com/products/mac-m1-usb-c-docking-station-with-hdd-enclosure

Bringing this back since while I'm still looking for just the right Mini hub, I found a resource for USB-C-focused hubs. Someone else might find it useful: https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2020/12/08/10-usb-c-hubs-with-2-or-more-usb-c-downstream-ports/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

landgrabber posted:

no suggestions for be guy asking about USB hubs but i am in a similar boat. it’s been like five years since the macbook went all USB C and no one has made a decent cheap hub yet.

I think we've found your issue.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Jay-V posted:

q for people here --

my wife suddenly has a need for a new computer that can handle heavy-duty excel files (e.g., thousands of rows). she's most familiar with macs, do the m1 MBPs run excel just fine? should she basically just be optimizing for ram?

Is she going to be working with workbooks that use the Excel data model for imported data? That’s still PC-only.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

“Mac stands for ‘Macs ain’t computers’.”

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Also, many YTubers report that along with the chassis from 2016, the boxes that Apple ships them in are the same exact boxes used for the M1 MacBook Pro, but with a M2 sticker in the right place.. peel off that sticker and the M1 label is clearly visible. C'mon, Apple, really? Getting real cheap there..

They should definitely be thrown on a landfill instead. 🙄