Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Crossposting this from C/D; Amazon has an open box (full warranty) Thunderbolt i5 21.5" iMac for $1030. I'm not in the market, but it's worth a look for the big discount from MSRP.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

El Duke posted:

Actually cheaper by about $10 if you get it from the Apple refurb store. But then again you pay tax. But then again it's straight from Apple. Also they're $1030, not $1080.

Whoops, that's a heck of a typo. WarehouseDeals has been pretty good for me in the past, and given that it still retains the original manufacturer's warranty it's just about on par with the refurb store.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Bought a Mac Mini to hold me over until my PC laptop gets back from the shop. Figure if the laptop doesn't get repaired, I go forward with the Mini and build a proper gaming desktop down the line.

However, I bought the base-spec i5 model and I'm finding myself pretty dissatisfied with the performance. After opening a few tabs with images in Chrome, the machine slows to a complete halt and I get the Beach Ball or whatever it may be properly be called.

My laptop is an i7, last-gen, with a 1GB video card (primarily for photo and video work with gaming (that will be offloaded to a desktop soon)) which I spent $1100 on. Should, if I am to stay with the Mac Mini, pony up to the i7 "mini server" to get the equivalent amount of performance? Is the jump from the base model to the $1K model going to benefit me that significantly?

I feel it should, but figured I'd inquire here first.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I would also be using this for video production, would the i7 not be an improvement for that?

And yeah, it is the Base Model with 2GB. I'd rather not do any changes or invest more money into this specific unit until the laptop comes back. I'm not entirely sure I like it enough to keep it at the moment.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Yes, but the mini server is like $999 comapred to the base model which is $599

So you're saying that the performance jump between the i5 and the i7 is not worth the premium for video work? I'm not exactly wanting to go up to Mac Pro budgeting here, but I don't want to scrimp.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Yes, but the iMac is barely portable. I have a monitor and a 42" TV that I can switch between, as well as the ability to take it with me.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

japtor posted:

As long as you know the extra cores will be put to use (like FCPX or something where it does a bunch of background processing with them) get the server. Otherwise get a cheaper one and upgrade the RAM and get a SSD.

Well get a SSD no matter what if possible.

And remember the refurbs:
$849 for the server: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC936LL/A
...or if you're willing to take an iMac, $999 for this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A
Not sure how the CPU compares (cause desktop i5s don't have hyperthreading iirc) but the GPU will kill the Mac mini's while the drive will be eh, tolerable.

If possible I'd wait for Ivy Bridge bumps but that'll take a while.

When I get my laptop back, I think I'll return this one and spring for the refurb server. Seems a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

If you've been looking for a SuperDrive, Amazon has it discounted by $10 today.