Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Kind of a related question:

Does having WiFi on but not connected eat battery? I'm sometimes with my laptop in places that just don't have WiFi (like my grandpa in-laws house.) I've never thought to actually turn off the AirPort in the menu bar, I just let it sit there unconnected. Am I wasting battery while it polls for occasional nearby hotspots or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Can the Apple Store at least replace the batteries, or do you literally have to ship it off in the mail to get a replacement?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'm not being serious here, but what task requires you to burn 10 discs a week in the year 2013?

I don't use Apple hardware for it, or any sort of thin or external burner, but one of my tasks at my job (Software Company) is to make master discs of all the software we publish to send to a reproduction facility. Of course that is all done with .isos and other proprietary disc image formats between me and the replicator, but I'll be damned if high level managers and executives don't want a physical copy to sign off on before giving their approval to ship.

Just saying that there are some workflows that involve spindle after spindle of plastic discs in 2013.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Is the spec bump the rMBPs got likely to help with the responsiveness issues that some have reported?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I've had a hard time Googling this, so I thought I'd try here. Basically in the last month or so, my Macbook Air (late 2010) has started lagging on the response time of the function keys (the ones I notice are the brightness and volume/mute keys) after waking up from being closed. Like I'll open it in a dark room at night, furiously mash the F1 key to lower the brightness, but no response. Then maybe 10+ seconds later, the little square brightness graphic will display and basically "catch up" on all of my button presses. From then on it works fine, so it's not a major annoyance, but I can't figure out what has changed to make it start behaving so laggy.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but since the target devices would be Apple laptops, I figured I'd start here.

We just bought a new townhouse and as it is set up we don't have any TVs on the level with our kitchen.

My wife likes to watch TV when she's cooking, so what I want to do (but am unsure is possible) is have some sort of setup so she can stream what is playing on our TV to her laptop sitting in the kitchen. Obviously Netflix and other streaming services she could just run on the laptop, but I'm thinking specifically about 'regular' TV from the DirecTV box in another room. Money is less of an issue than elegance and easiness. Think Time Capsule in terms of 'just works'.

So is this even possible? Would the quality be good over a home wireless network? Can we avoid hardware that needs to be plugged into her laptop on the 'destination' side, or at least keep it to something small? Bonus points if she could actually manipulate the DirecTV channels, but I'm not holding my breath on that. It would be good enough if she could pick a channel and then head downstairs to watch it more or less hassle free using her Macbook as a portable screen.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Perhaps a dumb question, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around how retina displays work. If I have a rMBP running at 'effective' 1440x900 mode (a 15" so properly integer scaled), does this mean that if I open up a bitmap with a resolution of 1440x900 it would fill the screen? Or could I actually tile 4 1440x900 images on the screen, and it's just resizing UI elements to make it 'feel' like 1440x900?

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 25, 2014

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Space is getting kind of tight in my rMBP with 512GB of SSD space. drat the many many VM snapshots I need for work.

I'm thinking about getting a 128GB or 256GB SD card to offload things like music and videos to -- don't worry, I'm not stupid enough to think that I could move VMs there.
This would be strictly for media consumption, not any kind of music or video that I'd be editing. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before, and what kind of performance I can expect on media playback (hopefully no stuttering audio or video, or terrible iTunes performance).

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

killa-pope posted:

13" or 15"? I use a 128gb PNY StorEdge for music on my 13" MBA and it works perfectly. It's over half full and I've never noticed any stuttering or delays in using it. It sticks out only a mm or two on the MBA, and the packaging claims it does the same for the 15" rMBP, but the reviews on Amazon suggest it isn't near as flush for the 13".

It's the 15" Late 2013 model. To be honest while aesthetics and build quality was a huge part of my switching to being a full time Mac user in the last 5 years or so, I don't really care if something like an expansion card is flush with the edge of my laptop or not. I work most of the day with a USB nub sticking out probably 1 cm for my wireless headset, and occasionally standard multi inch USB sticks too. Never really bothered me much. External ports are there to be used.

Thanks for the response though. Here I'm interested in performance, so I'll probably buy that exact brand if someone else is vouching for it in my same use case.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I'm curious if anyone here thinks there is any credence to this: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/07/lg-leaks-8k-imac/

Seems like it would require video hardware Apple isn't likely to put in an iMac to actually pull off.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Stux posted:

if you're on a macbook of any type at least be aware that using safari over chrome on osx will give you literal hours more usage on battery, chrome really sucks energy

I'm a Firefox guy on OS X (I know, I know), mostly out of religious use of Adblock plus and NoScript, and being able to otherwise tweak the browser to my liking. I do pay for it in battery life though, even more so when Firefox decides it's going to use 100% CPU even with literally zero windows open, so I'm opening up to change...

Is Safari extensible enough, and with replacements for these tools? I can probably live if I can't customize the look and feel as much as Firefox, but I will not abide by a cluttered and spammy browsing experience -- I'll put up with it on my iPhone, but not a laptop I use 8+ hours a day.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I do remote work on Windows software on my 15" rMBP, so I have Parallels VMs of like *every* version of windows, because my company is insane and wants to support XP and 32-bit Vista in the year 2015. This is also my personal laptop for around the house, so with all of my VM snapshots the 512GB SSD is starting to get pretty tight. What I'd like to do is shunt off some of my lesser-used VMs to an external drive. I know there will be a performance hit, but it's actually pretty lightweight Windows software so I think this isn't totally insane.

I'm basically curious if I can maximize performance by picking thre *right* external hard drive. Should I go with USB? Thunderbolt? Ideally I'd like a drive that doesn't require its own power cable plugged into the wall so I can use it more easily on the go, but if this is going to kill performance I'd be willing to consider otherwise.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Thanks for the responses all. I don't think cloud VMs are really the solution I want -- partly because I just hate cloud poo poo and partly because of travel/planes. The Samsung ones seem to review very well so I'll probably get something like that.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It just seems like a really weird thing to do...but that's also because people here generally love their Mac keyboards (except for the one on the new MacBook).

I still wish I had dedicated PgUp/PgDown/Insert/Delete keys, but otherwise it's pretty cool, yeah. Oh and it's long dead but not putting a numpad on that 17" monstrosity was a huge waste.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I'm a huge fan of the extra real estate on the 15" just since this is my primary work computer everyday. I have a backpack with a laptop pouch which is like 15 years old and thus comically large for any current laptop short of some gaming monstrosity. I've really never had a problem carrying it in there. If anything it rattles around too much.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I would fully agree that the 15" doesn't function well at all on an airplane tray table. This is why I pop a Xanax and go to sleep, or play Scrabble on my phone!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Anyone think they might bump the top end gently caress-off rMBP to 2TB or more?

Lately I've found myself in need of a lot of disk space as my job revolves around a lot of VM snapshots that are much more convenient when stored locally. I've been shuffling around on a 512GB rMBP from a couple years ago, but I think that would get me to upgrade. I'm a bit paranoid that Apple is going to go the route of the iPhones and rarely increase storage under the premise that 'everything is in the cloud these days' or something like that.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Here's the insides of a modern SSD drive now.

Apple rightly believes that all that empty space would be better used with more batteries instead.

That's awesome, but it seems like the correct answer would be to update the form factor to something still standardized that is more the size of the chips in your picture. Then Apple could use a standard slot (as could everyone else), and design the proprietary battery poo poo around it.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

This tape poo poo sounds ridiculous. Like worst case scenario is that your battery dies after 1 year or something due to bad luck or ~*~bad janitoring~*~, right? And costs $130 to replace?

Throw :10bux: a month into a savings account and you are covered for the next one. More than likely you'll find yourself with a functional computer with somewhat reduced battery life and $360+ after 3 years, which you can either for a use for a new battery or maybe even roll into a new machine.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Thirding a B&W laser printer, and just sending grandma to CVS when she wants to print color photos.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy has the base 13" Air for $750 (i5, 4GB, 128GB)

I would be skeptical to buy a 128GB computer for $750 in 2016, but I suppose it at least has an SD slot.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

Buying/producing more useless poo poo like rasp pis when we have tons of functioning electronics going into garbage/inefficient recycling makes it a zero sum game. Do whatever it doesn't matter.

I don't find raspberry pi's useless at all, they are just very anti the apple Ethos. But the selling points of Apple to me are superior hardware design and UNIX.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I feel compelled to post the transcript of the idle words talk on this: The Website Obesity Crisis. I'm sure many of us have seen it before, but it's really good, so check it out if you haven't.

Does anyone have this picture in text form so I can add more easily to my NoScript blacklists?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Arsten posted:

I mean, what hardware upgrade can Apple put out tomorrow that they couldn't put out last year? Nothing in terms of actual performance, and a decent step in terms of performance per watt. There simply isn't an x86-64 processor that they could source that would blow away users of the last 5 years of hardware.

I feel like they could make a lot of improvement in their disk space options? I realize there are physical limits in the storage world too but we aren't quite so close to hitting them. And with the actual tiny physical size of flash memory, even if a single 4TB SSD is cost prohibitive, what is stopping them from chaining together 4-8 1TB or 0.5 TB drives?

And this is a company that's still selling 128GB drives in their base models -- there is plenty of room to grow here with existing tech.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Not a touch display - OLED display touch bar (to replace physical function keys, located above the keyboard)

Welp it's been a good run lads

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Actually, I might interested in that sort of deal if it's like that Optimus keyboard with tiny screens in every key that made all the rounds on the tech sites like a decade ago.

Like that pic is a poor use of it as a glorified app launcher, but it would be kind of cool to have keys that dynamically changed image, (like 'X' to 'scissors icon' when you held down Command, or icons for your video game hotkeys or whatever. I'm not sure if that thing ever got off the ground in a non-buggy and non $1,000 way.

I'm highly skeptical that a touch bar with no tactile feedback would be able to accomplish that as well as keys though, and if it just ends up been a touchscreen with static volume controls, then it's no better than ever lovely HP laptop I had in the 2000's with awful non standard volume controls and 'Email' buttons and what have you.

As long as we're discussing Apple keyboards, does anyone else think it would be nice if they included their moon language symbols for things like Option and Escape, i don't know, printed on the actual keys?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Speaking of Apple Displays, I saw this on Slashdot today:

http://hothardware.com/news/apple-5k-retina-thunderbolt-display-integrated-gpu

A 5K Retina display with.... a discrete GPU embedded in the device? Could be a cool solution for taking a thin and light laptop and allowing it to do more GPU heavy tasks sort of like the external GPU talk that's gone on the past year or so. But I'm wondering if tying the GPU to a (assuming) $1,000+ display is going to be a bummer when the display is still fine in 4+ years but the GPU is woefully out of date?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

flavor posted:

Honest question (not just for you): Do you guys ever change car types or move to different apartments? How do you deal with it if the slightest thing is different?

This is one of the least honest questions I've seen asked on the forums in years, hah. I'll humor you and treat it as such.

I've been driving Prius-es my entire adult life, going back to the original 2001 model in the US (yes, I'm that sort of awful stereotype). To this day getting in a normal gas-powered car is usually awkward for an hour or so as I jerk everybody around because the Prius acceleration is smooth and consistent, at least in my perception, where as regular car acceleration is jerky as the car tops out RPM levels in each gear before advancing to the next one.

It stinks, but to make your point for you, I do usually adjust within the a day and it's slowly getting to be less of an issue the more non-prius cars I encounter.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Arsten posted:

You know gas-powered cars have the CVT option, too, right? :v:

Yeah, I just think I've managed to not rent one yet. Maybe I should stop choosing the econo-shitbox option every time I visit Hertz.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Ugh mein eyes. Thanks for the reminder in how to fail at software UI design. It's like it's 1996 all over again.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol like Apple is going to give enough of a gently caress about mobile graphics to make them thick enough and run hot enough for that.

Edit: never mind mid read you as talking about rMBPs. Yeah they would be rad in an iMac.

I thought they were putting mobile GPUs in the iMacs these days.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I use mine in an ongoing experiment to see which adhesive holds up the best in a temperature changing laptop environment. Right now electrical tape appears to be the winner.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

tuyop posted:

Ah, you're one of those...

I should be clear that I'm mostly resigned to the fact that if the powers that be want to spy on me, there isn't poo poo I can do about it. So it's not really abut the NSA, it's more that I work from home, so insurance in case I accidentally press the video chat button on Skype or Google Hangouts with no shirt on. Which actually happened once and I just had to slam the laptop shut, get dressed, and deal with it later :)

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Pivo posted:

Weird crashy issues

This sounds like the exact sort of situation where you'd want to run memtest to verify your RAM and make sure its not a hardware issue. To be honest I haven't needed to do this since like 2005 so I'm hoping memtest is still the right software and didn't go to poo poo to monetize or whatever. Also, unless anything has changed from 2005, expect that to take 8+ hours to run, so maybe run it overnight.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Pivo posted:

I've run Memtest while troubleshooting self built PC issues before but does it even run on a Mac? Does anything not signed by Apple even boot unless through Boot Camp?

It claims to on that website but yeah, that website appears to have been last updated about when I last used it, so I'm not sure.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I don't know about Bluetooth headphones. I have a bluetooth headset thing I use to make calls for work, and I bought it maybe 2.5 years ago, (don't use it a whole ton so its not cycled many times), and it basically can't make it Monday to Friday in my backpack, fully charged and never used, without being dead or beeping a low battery tone when I pull it out on a Friday.

Basically it's not so much the recharging for me, it's the fact that rechargeable batteries just lose charge over time. If it was more like a car or a lighter where I could just make sure its topped off and know that it still will be in 2 months, I'd be a lot more for it.

I guess I'll just get a dongle and keep it on the end of my regular headphones -- not a huge deal just a pain in the rear end.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

If it can't last 5 days without being used in a backpack, then it's broken or a piece of poo poo.

Agreed, but that's sort of the point here.

I could get by with piece of poo poo headphones my whole life without compromise. They'd plug in and work every time, I could keep a different cheap pair in my backpack and gym bag and one in my nightstand, and they Just Worked when I actually go to the gym after 5 months of procrastinating. I don't see how to accomplish that with bluetooth headphones no matter how cheap they get because they are going to be dead when I need them without planning ahead of time. Maybe if they take AA batteries so I can throw *those* in my bag instead?

I just want to know what we're gaining here. I don't think anyone cares about another mm or two shaved off the phone. If those fully waterproof iPhone rumors ever came true I guess it would be cool to lose a port that might allow water in. Will eliminating the jack allow room for more battery (that would buy some useful real world amount of time?) Something? I'm trying not to be a cynic but I don't see how this compares to eliminating optical drives in the age of USB sticks, or printer ports in the age of USB.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 7, 2016

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

computer parts posted:

So would people bitch more about the current scheme or if they just released laptops every year, upgrades or otherwise?

I would bitch less, because if they had to release laptops each year, they'd have to incrementally update real world things like CPU/RAM/SSD to differentiate them, in between the major changes like loving with ports and trackpads etc.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/09/15/macbook-pro-kill-headphone-jack/

Welp. Maybe they can double the SSD options while they are at it, or something functionally useful? Who am I kidding, of course they won't, how would they rope you into their cloud storage plans otherwise?

I jumped on the Mac bandwagon about a decade ago because of their OS and I was willing to pay a premium for superior laptop build quality (no creaky plastic, attractive, good touchpad) but they are really testing my patience lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

It's.. just reached 'thin enough' territory for me. I had a 13" air before this 15" rMBP, and I loved both. It's subjective, I know.

It just kind of sucks since I bought into their ecosystem in the 2000's, like a lot of geeks, because it was functional UNIX that 'just works' instead of fiddling with your Linux install all day, and little niceties in design. It reminded me of a luxury car company -- yes, you pay through the nose for the branding and logos, but in return you got amazing customer service, real hardware design effort, and a sense that the company 'cared' in decisions to reject stuff like pack-in OEM bloatware and other gently caress the user decisions.

Now it feels like they are looking for ways to take advantage of me to sell dongles or headphones or cloud storage. I think what I really want is OS X on agnostic hardware.