Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Bob Morales posted:

After shuffling around 3 laptops and 3 monitors on my desk...

The MacBook Pro/Air with only 2 Thunderbolt ports is so loving inconvienent.

I really need 3 ports. External monitor, power, and USB 3.0.

Is there a cheap adapter that gives you USB 3.0 and power pass-through?

I have an LG 4K so that fixes my power/monitor. But I would like to use my 27" monitors sometimes that requires me to use either a HDMI or Displayport cable. The Apple USB/HDMI adapter doesn't support USB 3.0 so it's basically useless for external hard drives.

I got this one and it seems to be working very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7H3GJK/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Hekk posted:

I was in the market for a new MacBook after a motorcycle accident left my previous laptop inoperable. I was looking at the 13" but after I specced it to what I wanted (16 gigs ram, at least 512 gig hd) it was almost as expensive as the 16inch MacBook Pro. So I ordered one of those and Apple delivered it yesterday. The keyboards on the 16" are the newer butterfly version and it seems like it works pretty well.

The 16" is a scissor switch again like the old MacBooks, not a new butterfly version.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Hekk posted:

Ahh ok my mistake. I haven’t owned a MacBook since 2012. I must have read this incorrectly.

Regardless, you made the right choice going with the 16". I bought one too. It's a really nice machine. Did you get the base model i7 too? It's hard to beat for value right now.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Martytoof posted:

I would literally buy an iPad Pro Mini this second if only that were possible.

I love my 2019 iPad mini with one exception, it doesn’t have speakers on both sides, and the ones it has on the bottom are awful.

It sounds so absolutely horrible compared to my 9.7” iPad Pro. Even my iPhone XR speakers sound better.

There’s really nothing else I want out of it. The battery could be slightly better I guess, but it’s pretty much fine.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

jackpot posted:

Any hope in getting this working again or is it a lost cause once it comes apart like this? It took a pretty good hit.

Can you post a higher resolution image, I can't tell if the ribbon cable retainer clip is broken.

If it's not, and the clips for the sides aren't broken either, you should be able to just clip that ribbon cable back in and press the two halves together.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Dick Nipples posted:

I’m surprised you can get WebEx to work ever. What a steaming pile.

My job is mainly setting up/maintaining teleconferencing for enterprise and WebEx is actually one of the better platforms out there...

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

AlternateAccount posted:

WebEx is actually really good and a professional, reliable product and not a big stupid mess of poor design decisions and worse engineering like literally all of its competitors.

And then you get into the hardware teleconferencing rigs, roomkits, etc. Super, super good.

Yup. WebEx is legit and the RoomKit endpoints for conference rooms are fantastic.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Gay Retard posted:

I bet I can take a butterfly MacBook to the Apple store and get the keyboard replaced for the foreseeable future without raising much of a fuss. You don't really hear that many issues with the 2019+ butterfly keyboards, although I'm sure somebody can find somebody complaining on the internets about them.

For something that has been known to be such an issue, I'm shocked I haven't had any issues with my 2018 MacBook Pro, especially since my house is filled with inescapable cat hair.

My wife has a 2017 13" MBP that also hasn't had any issues.

Granted, it also has barely seen any use. I already have way more usage on my 2019 16" MBP than her 2017 13" MBP has seen.

It's really not such a big deal unless it's your only machine, or if it breaks right now when all the retail stores are closed. They extended the warranty to 4 years for all the models with the butterfly keyboards right? By 4 years old it's going to be a slow piece of poo poo anyway.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

That's ridiculous when talking about laptops in 2020

Mac laptops haven't exactly been pinnacles of performance, even the 16" has already handily beaten by the new Ryzen laptops and it just came out.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, my Mac Mini is almost 8 years old, and the only reason I'm upgrading is because it doesn't have hdmi 2/2.1 for 4k60 output, and that was a 3rd gen mobile dual core.

Your Mac Mini doesn't have an integrated keyboard, and it doesn't have a laptop grade processor, it has a full on desktop CPU. Even when your Mac Mini was new, what kind of intensive workloads could it handle? It doesn't have a GPU.

I have a 2019 16" MBP and a 2018 Mac Mini i5, I am well aware of what they are capable of.

redeyes posted:

its only a 4 year extension on the warranty so the 16's are hosed.

The 16" models don't have the butterfly keyboard.

Shaocaholica posted:

Posting from a 2008 Dell!

Posting to a forum doesn't take much power.. You could do it from anything.

--------

Just to be clear, and I feel like I shouldn't need to say this, but the Cult of Mac appears to be strong here.

I like apples products. I have an 11 Pro Max, an iPad 9.7 Pro, an iPad Mini 5, a 16" MBP, and a 2018 Mac Mini.

By 4 years old, any normal current laptop is going to be considerably slower than cheap consumer entry level laptops. That's the way it has been for ages, and while hardware progress has slowed down somewhat, that's the way it is continuing to be.

Software is continuing to be increasingly resource intensive and our workflows are continuing to increase with regards to processing power needs.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 25, 2020

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Gimrigz posted:

So what's the latest on these new 13(14?)MBPs? I know there has been rumours about an imminent launch but I wonder if you guys saw something in your tea leaves.

Buying this MBA was a terrible mistake but I don't want to buy the current gen MBP :sadpeanut:

My crystal ball says it will be released by the end of Q3 2020.

Gameplan: Return your air, buy a current gen 13", then return that when the new one comes out.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Gimrigz posted:

I thought about something like this but I don't think there's a way to do returns where I live right now. Everything is still closed. Do you know if the return policy has been hosed with because of Covid?

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/store/temporary_closures

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Rumor has it that the new 13/14" is coming out today.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Oof. That is really poor value.. $1800 to get one with the 10th gen i5.

I got my 16" for $2000 from HHGregg via Google Shopping.. and it has an i7 & dedicated GPU.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

FCKGW posted:

How so? I personally didn't see the need to spend $200 more for an older CPU and a touch bar vs the 2020 i5 Air.

edit: 10th Gen iGPUs have better performance as well.

10th gen doesn't automatically mean better performance. Even the older pro has a higher TDP and better performance for sustained loads than the new Air. If you're just doing web browsing and simple stuff then the Air will be fine. If you're doing anything that loads the CPU for more than a few seconds at a time you'll want the pro.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

badjohny posted:

So I bought my new MacBook Pro two months before the new 16inch one came out. What are the best options to sell this? I don't mind it to much, but I type a ton and the keyboard is not great for that. Apple dosn't do trade-ins do they?

They do have a trade-in program, https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

You could also try to sell on Swappa, SA-Mart, or r/appleswap. I always use eBay as a last resort because the fees are killer.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Shaocaholica posted:

I’d wager to say the MBP line has drifted from serious work loads. It’s more like the middle tier and the top tier is just non existent in the Apple lineup.

I dunno man, I've got the 16" MBP and its pretty much top tier with the exception of I/O and workstation-type GPU offerings. Dongle Life is retarded.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Just get the base model macbook pro.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mu Zeta posted:

Dear god please skip the first gen ARM Macs you know it's going to be a shitshow.

Yeah... Catalina runs poorly on current processors, if you think the first gen ARM Macs are going to be a good experience you might as well just open your wallet and spread your cheeks.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 10, 2020

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Godzilla07 posted:

AnandTech said in their review of the iPhone 11 that the A13 was very close in performance to AMD and Intel's high-end consumer desktop parts. ARM Macs also means that the 13" laptops will finally get a respectable GPU.

The first ARM Macs will have absolutely killer hardware, but given Apple's recent software engineering troubles, and how low of a priority Mac OS has been at Apple in the last half-decade, I would not want to buy one of the first ARM Macs.

Exactly. I don't think anyone has any doubts regarding what Apple's ARM processors are capable of.

The question is whether or not Apple is capable of making the software changes to Catalina to allow it to run smoothly on ARM. Based on their latest software, I'm very skeptical.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

curried lamb of God posted:

Best Buy finally shipped my MBP, should be here on Monday :woop:

Any recommended accessories? I'm upgrading from an early-2015 MBP, so I've already purchased a USB-C hub with type A ports and HDMI-out.

That's really all you need

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Luceo posted:

gently caress

I use boot camp, goddammit. I'm sure they don't give a poo poo about boot camp users, though. Glad I got this 16" MBP to tide me over for several years.

Same. I love this 16" and think it's going to last me quite some time.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

EL BROMANCE posted:

Killing support for the 2012 Mac Mini. You cowards!

BUY A 2018. I have the i5 and it's seriously a great machine. I actually bought it secondhand from a goon for a ridiculously good price and have been using it for about a year now as a headless server.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Why would you even want to update a 2012 Mac Mini to Catalina? Let alone Big Sur.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SourKraut posted:

I haven't updated my 2012 Mini to Catalina, specifically because Catalina is such a shitshow.

You made the right decision.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rabid Snake posted:

Yeah Catalina is terrible. I regretted upgrading.

It sucks more because I didn't find out about T2 locking out Linux until after I bought my 2018 rMBP.

Catalina really is a dumpster fire. I wish I could downgrade my 16" to Mojave.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol forever if you're actually masochistic enough to pay Apple for the wonderful privilege of beta testing a first-gen ARM Mac. Just get one of the very excellent 2019/2020 MBA/MBP models or stick with your older machine for another couple years. The current Macbooks are legitimately the best laptops Apple's made in years and some of y'all are chomping at the bit to struggle through brand new unproven hardware with guaranteed anemic app support. :allears:

For real. Anyone who is on the fence about buying a MacBook right now should just pull the trigger.

I love my 16" so much and I'm sure it will continue to be supported for until at least 2025 which would be longer than I've ever owned a computer in my life.

The only thing I'm not fond of is that the battery replacement entails a top case.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mister Facetious posted:

the iphones yes, iPads and MacBooks, no.

The iPads are the thinnest they've ever been, and the MacBooks received a 0.6? Millimetre raise to account for the increased travel of the Magic Keyboard™.

The 16" MBP has literally the biggest battery installed possible that is allowed on airplanes.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mister Facetious posted:

Didn't Razer actually bring this to production

Two and a half years ago:

https://youtu.be/jDEd86t45p8

How did I never hear about this? That's actually cool as gently caress.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

japtor posted:

Every time I've seen those they have a caveat about dual monitors not working on Macs. Wild guess is that they're using MST for it which Apple still doesn't support. Last I heard you end up with mirrored displays, can't really change anything since macOS just sees it as a single display.

Yup, the cheap USB-C ones won't do multiple displays over a single cable on a Mac (only Mirroring). I've tried several. They work fine on my Windows laptops though.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Like 95% of this thread's posters will never need anything past a simple $40-50 cheap USB-C hub or dock and the rest will be fine with a still affordable USB-C or TB dock for $150 or less. Very few users actually need a $300 CalDigit TB dock unless they're running 2+ 4K+ monitors, some kind of eGPU setup, and multiple USB devices.

It's not just multiple high resolution displays, but multiple external displays period.

You need a TB dock to drive 2x external displays over a single cable, even if they are both 720p. USB-C will not do it on modern macs from what I have seen.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SourKraut posted:

Ultimately, what company isn’t poo poo?

I work IT for a big pharma company and it owns.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Crunchy Black posted:

you lot are incredible assholes to deal with, your security overhead is ridiculous and you outsource poo poo one would think would be...not considering pont #1.

All of this is true about us.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

64bit_Dophins posted:

Anyone here also have awful battery life for the first few weeks on their 2019 16in MBP.

My battery only has 3 cycles on it right now and I've been averaging 3-4 hours on battery just doing light browsing/watching youtube videos.

I looked at some guides online and was as per their recommendation reset the SMC and the NVRAM but the battery life still isn't great.

Reading around on threads most people seem to get 9-10 hours after using the laptop for a few weeks and putting 10-20 cycles on the battery.

Anyone have a similar experience with this? It just seems a bit odd that the battery would dramatically improve like that just with general use.

I've had the 16" MBP since it first came out and have gotten nowhere near the advertised 10 hours ever. At 78 cycles on the battery now. I usually get around 5 hours.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

64bit_Dophins posted:

Sounds about right.

I've just heard a lot of different things online.

Some people are claiming to get around 9 hours.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the firewall program, and the 5 or so utilities I have run at launch along with discord, textual irc, and mailplane running all of the time.

I imagine you would get better battery life with Safari?

I’ve always used chrome so maybe safari would improve it, but I highly doubt it would double it from 5 to 10. I do use GfxCardStatus and can confirm 99.9% of the time I am not using the dGPU.

Honestly, it doesn’t bother me because I mainly use it like a desktop where it’s always docked, and 60W GaN chargers are tiny and lightweight. I would probably have returned it if I cared at all about battery life.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Totally Huge posted:

I absolutely do not need it but pulled the trigger on an MBA with apple silicone. I’m super intrigued and want to play with one of these things.

In the past year or 2 my workflow has changed quite a bit. My homelab server sits in a closet packed away and when I want to build a dev environment or server I use either my rpi4 or spin up a DO droplet. I spend most of my computer touching time in a shell. So a small fanless laptop that hopefully won’t be super hot and blow hot air on my thighs while I sit on the couch hacking away at whatever sounds great. If it’s mega fast, even better.

The only real concern I have is not being able to spin up a kali or windows VM. Is there anything known about if/when that will be possible? Will there be a way to run an arm based Linux distro in a VM day one? VMware not sharing any dates is annoying and all I can find just seems like hearsay.
That's my only concern too. I occasionally need to fire up a windows VM on my laptop, like at least once or twice a week. My Mac Mini also runs a Windows VM 24/7 for 1 app I purchased that only runs on Windows (Blue Iris).

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Redacted

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 6, 2021

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LRADIKAL posted:

Hey all,

Looking for a recommendation on a cheap, probably used mac mini or notebook to run one program, Forecast which is a podcast production software. The most CPU intense thing it would be doing, obviously is encoding MP3's, which is pretty fast on years old hardware. I'd probably use Synergy or a software KVM style setup. What are some reasonable things for this one task?

Cheap is relative. What's your budget?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Quantum of Phallus posted:

11.1 has totally messed up AirPod handover for me, they’ll keep connecting to my iMac even though I’ve never connected them and I’m playing stuff on my iPhone.

Yea I've got automatic switching turned off on Macs because its just both unreliable and unpredictable in it's behavior. Works fine on iPhone/iPad tho.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Well I got my wife an M1 Air, and it's amazing. I just ordered one for myself too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Safari really sucks if you actually are a cool guy who does important cool guy nerd things.