Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
I have a 15" macbook pro I purchased in 2008. As I'm sure many of you are aware, it has overheating issues which ruins the logic board. I was doing the "bake it" fix for a few months and it worked fairly well. I got tired of screwing with it and got a refurbished macbook pro, which developed the same issue after 8 months. So now I have two macbook pros with bad logic boards. I can cook them and temporarily get them running again, but I am sick of messing with that.

What's the best coarse of action here? Everything I have is mac based but I don't want to pay $1800 for a new mac. Is there anywhere at all to buy NEW logic boards? I can't find anything. I assume I have to take my computer to apple (which has no store around here) to get this fixed?

Every logic board I see is pulled off of old macs, which won't do me any good. I assume all of the old logic boards have the same defect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

College Slice

1997 posted:

Those 2008 MacBook Pros are vintage and no longer serviced by Apple.

Am I misunderstanding-did you also buy a refurbished 2008 machine or was it another machine?

My opinion is the best course of action is to buy a new Mac. You don't have to spend $1800 either.

It was a refurbished 2008. At the time I thought refurbished meant it got a new logic board. I guess I was wrong. Either that or the new boards had the same issues the old ones had.

I have a PC as my primary laptop now. I just wanted to get my old computer(s) up and running so I could use the programs (like adobe suite) on them. I prefer the 15" screen for things like photo and video editing.

If I got a newer used mac, could I pull and clone the HD from my old mac without an issue? I had Lion as the OS on my old mac so it's pretty up to date.

I'm just trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) course of action. I don't want to buy a new mac. I am tired of Apple making it impossible to fix or replace anything on their computers.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

College Slice
Sounds like my best bet is to get a used mac, clone the HD, and piece out my old ones.

Are the macbook pros made in the last 3 years better than the 08's? Obviously the 08-09's had issues. I have read that 2011 models had problems too. Any other years / models I should watch out for? I hate to have another one fail after a couple of years of use.