Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
So... When I finally get my new iMac... How hard is it to transfer software? I know there's a tool to transfer your existing software setup to a new Mac, I've just never tried it. Anyone have any luck? It's crucial that I move Logic Pro and Adobe CS over otherwise I have to go and get the external disc drive and well gently caress that I don't want to. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

~Coxy posted:

Any reason not to get a second hand iMac rather than mini? They always seem better value to me.

Anyway in terms of vintage, a good cutoff point is whether they can run the latest OS.

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)

Well I'll be selling my 2008 24" model here shortly, and it runs mountain lion just fine. But for a few hundred dollars more, sans display, the mini did catch my eye back when I was considering a refurb iMac. Fast little machines.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
Just ordered the 21"5... I'll likely trade it in if it's not enough real estate, but I went a little nuts on horsepower:

3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB

Figured I'd been running everything I need to run on a 2.8 dual core with 4gb of ram. This thing should be a sufficient jump ahead.

Stoked.

Fedit: yeah so if you can get the government or military discount in the EPP portion of the site like I did (Fed here), note that the real savings are in the upgrades. I got 100 off on the base price, then an additional 150 on upgrades.

lowercasejames fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 30, 2012

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there any possibility they are bringing back the ability to use the iMac as a display from an external source?? Or am I stuck in an old 27 forever :[

Thought this was a thing from 2009 on?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
So I just realized that my new iMac due to arrive in a few short days has no display out for my twin Dell 24" displays... Does thunderbolt act as a mini DVI out? Or am I hosed?

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

Suqit posted:

Yeah but you have to buy the adapter.

You can get something like this

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

Well gently caress.

Wait, this doesn't make sense. I have a mini display adapter for both DVI monitors. Doesn't the mini display adapter work in the thunderbolt slot?

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

Suqit posted:

I'm not sure if the new iMacs have two thunderbolt ports but you can just buy two of these also.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/B/mini-displayport-to-dvi-adapter?fnode=53

Thanks. I did some googling... Should not have a problem. There are two outputs. Thanks.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

Mercurius posted:

Judging by the tech specs page on the Apple store, both the 21" and 27" models have two Thunderbolt ports, so you should be able to get by with two mini-DisplayPort->DVI adapters.

Edit: Depending on the model of the Dell monitors they might have DisplayPort inputs. If so, you can get a couple of mini-DisplayPort->DisplayPort cables from somewhere like Monoprice which should be cheaper than getting DVI adapters.

Yeah, this... thanks guys. Just a moment of buyer panic.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

ratbert90 posted:

So I have the core I7 6,2 mini, and holy poo poo this thing is quick.
I am getting 16Gigs of ram and a 256gig mushkin chronos for Christmas, and can't wait to see how fast this thing goes.

Oh yeah, and I can replace both of those things without having to tear down 90% of the unit. Suck it new Imac owners. :smug:

b-b-b-b-buuuut 5mm thick.

What's the graphics card in that thing?

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
Not sure where to put this... but I've ordered quite a bit of hardware from Apple and never experienced this.

Ordered my new iMac on the release date, used my check card to pay the amount in full. Minutes later, after approval, the amount hit my account. It was pending until it shipped late last week, when it then went from pending to an actual debit from my account. Cool.

This morning, I check my account, and I've got quite a bit more money than yesterday. In fact, I've got enough money for another new iMac. The new balance is exactly what it would be if I never ordered the thing in the first place. I look closer. The charge is gone. There's no refund, it's just... gone.

I check Apple. All is still good. The card's last four, and the original amount, are both still there. I track the shipment. It's due to arrive this Friday.

I am going to give it 24 hours then I guess I call... my bank? Or Apple? Has anyone run into this before?

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

clockworx posted:

Ethics aside, I believe legally it is yours once it arrives, though they may still have a right to charge you at a later point. You can't get in trouble for keeping it though. Call them if you insist on paying, and if you don't, I'd be sure to leave that money in your account in case they charge you at a later date.

(Hopefully I'm not wrong on this, but I believe the legal reason is to prevent shady business from sending out products and then demanding payment afterwards once it arrives. I believe it's also why companies will also snag "price mistakes" that ended up being shipped and are en route - they can recall it until it arrives, but once it does, it's yours.)

I intend to pay for it, or at least call Apple and check to make sure I'm listed as paid in full. This happened with a hotel charge in Atlanta once, where they charged my card, then it went away after I checked out. A month later I called and they had me listed as paid in full, at which point I requested a receipt for records.

Free iMac? Not likely. Not my luck.

I guess the best news so far is that they seem to be shipping earlier than the originally stated 7-10 days. Mine shipped 3 days after ordering it.

Anyway thanks for the advice.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
Possible it wasn't a full power outage. I've had instances where the power isn't off completely but, on appliances for instance, the led light indicating an on status remains lit but the appliance itself doesn't have enough power to run. Maybe the Mac was getting enough power to do basic hard drive/cache functions so when it came on again in that short amount of time everything was as you'd left it?

Guessing here. Weird either way.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
Anyone interested in consumer pics/review of the 2012 iMac? Picking mine up today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
Behold.

First Impressions

Let me caveat my first impressions by saying that I am upgrading from a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 24" early 2008 iMac. It's a pretty big jump. My 2008 was working fine for some basic recording and photo editing, but it was clearly starting to hang as my projects got more complex. Where it once handled 8 tracks like a hot knife through butter, when I started expanding into 16 to 24 track projects (I use my iMac primarily for music and home recording), the software started to choke. Forget mastering. The process just ended up being too tedious because of a lack of horsepower.

I had originally planned on waiting till the Mac Pro line was updated, but timing became an issue. My wife and I just found out we're expecting, so I figured I had one last big purchase to make before priorities begin to shift toward being, y'know, a dad, so I went as big as I could realistically afford on a new computer purchase.

I ordered a 3.1 GHz i7 21.5" iMac with the full 16GB of RAM. Had to go small on the hard drive, as I intend to upgrade to one of the external Thunderbolt SSDs after Christmas, so I stuck with the old school 1 TB HD. For what I do, processing power is a priority. I also figured the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB would be fine. My video and photo editing will work just fine with that amount of power, and I don't use this thing to game.

Unboxing was the usual joy... the smell that comes out of Apple packaging when you open a new product is stifling. In a good way. (You all know this.) Honestly, the first thing I noticed was how light this drat thing is. I actually considered that to be a positive... moving this thing will be easy, especially if I want to record in another space. It doesn't have the clunky handle the original iMac had, but hey, it's still pretty light. Feels like a blown up iPad. Weird.

Setup

Well, Apple isn't loving around when it comes to its ecosystem. I recall setting up my 2008 in, er, 2008, and setting up the iMac felt a lot like setting up a PC. "What time is it?" "What's your name?" "Network connection?" etc. The new iMac/Mountain Lion setup process felt like I was actually setting up an iOS device. I'm not sure if this is because Apple wants to build around the iOS experience or if they just figured out the best way to talk to old people. I got my first taste of the iMac's speed turning it on. I plugged it in, leaned back to turn it on, and in 10 seconds or so I had a welcome screen. Less than 5 minutes later I was in the OS, in the App store, downloading my old apps. I decided against migration assistant, simply because all my pertinent information was either in the Cloud (no poo poo), or I could just re-download my primary apps, like Logic, Aperture, iWork, etc.

In fact, I did all this simultaneously. I updated Mountain Lion, synced my iPhone, reloaded my music from my external hard drive (USB 2.0, as my firewire adapter for thunderbolt has yet to ship - wtf Apple), installed Logic, Aperture, and iWork... and it took under 40 minutes. Now, technically, after booting up Logic, I had to run an additional install of the gigs and gigs of bonus content it comes with, which took another 2 hours. But if we're talking a basic, user setup experience, under 40 minutes is just fanfuckingtastic.

Peripherals, Hardware

Well, it's certainly an iMac. There's been some awkward 'backlash' in some blogs and user comments about the 5mm thick frame of the iMac's body, that Apple was somehow misleading people into thinking they magically crammed AND flattened all the internals to allow the body of a computer to look more like something akin to a LCD TV. This is horseshit. Yes, it's thin. Even with the rounded bezel, the fucker is thin. It's 12 pounds for Chrissakes. And while most desktop users will argue that the thinness is simply a luxury aesthetic, for a guy about to move his workspace into a room 30 percent smaller than the one he's currently in, thin becomes something more of a necessity. I've got an extra half foot of space on my desk now thanks to the compact design of the new iMac. The thinness of the unit coupled with the new USB port I purchased and installed under desk allowed for me to push the unit all the way back on my desk. It's a nice improvement.

I stuck with the trust magic mouse and wireless keyboard. No surprises here, except for the F4 key now being the hotkey for your Launchpad (still a stupid name).

The new HD Facetime Camera didn't blow my socks off, but I hardly use Facetime, and don't think I have a face for HD to begin with.

I don't miss having a CD-ROM. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can remote access my wife's MacBook Pro disc drive if I ever need to again so... yeah. No sweat there.

Display

This thing is loving bright. Reviews early on said that the process for binding the display to the iMac body had slipped (mostly because of the glue used, as opposed to the previously employed magnet system), but the key thing here is the lack of space felt between you and the display contents. It's not retina, but I can tell this was designed with retina in mind. Had to be. It's hard to explain without seeing it in person, and after cranking up the brightness I was shocked. I didn't realize how dim my 2008 display was. The newer iMac feels sharper and definitely... whiter. The color profile has been cooled considerably over the years, and it's a nice update for photographers and people in visual arts. Can't wait to edit my first movie or photo on this thing. I didn't realize how much I'd been missing out on.

So, no buyers' remorse here. I've got some personalization tweaks to make, but other than that, I'm less than 24 hours out of the box on this thing I can't stop staring at it. Apple always brings their A game when it comes to interface, and the iMac formula continues to please. I don't regret the smaller screen space, my secondary 24" Dell monitor is a fine companion space for surfing and word processing tasks. But the iMac's real estate on the 21"5 inch display is more than enough for my artsy fartsy poo poo.

And did I mention this thing was screaming fast? 12591 on Geekbench. If anyone has any specific requests for benchmarks or user tests you'd like me to run for their own edification, I'm happy to. Point is, I'm happy with the purchase, and I can't wait to put it to a real test.