Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SO would the new base 13" air be able to handle xcode? Cause gently caress if I don't want to return my 13" MBP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What do you mean by "swapping"?

edit: also I plug the mbp into a monitor when I code. you're def right about the res being small.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 21, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there any reason why my p key wouldn't repeat when held down on my 13" MBP?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I have no idea every key but p repeats when held down. So I think it might be the p key is hosed.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

andyf posted:

If you're in Lion, they disabled key repeat in some/most apps, it seems

To restore the way it used to work, fire up terminal and type in
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false
then logout/login and it should be back to how you like it.

If you're still on SL, I have no idea, sorry

NVM. I'm an idiot.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 23, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Anyone done any gaming on the new Air's?

I mean I've got my desktop for gaming and I'm buying an Air for mainly work and other purposes but it would be pretty sweet if I could take my air to a friends place and play some Starcraft 2 with him or even when I'm on a plane to waste some time.

My friends old 2009 13 mbp runs SC2 fine on low settings. So I think an air would be fine to run it. Would never want to actually play on that keyboard though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Thunderbolt is going to replace FW and ethernet on all Apple portables at the next refresh, and the optical drive will go as well. The 13" Pro goes away while the 15" and 17" become airs. Book it.

Plus retina displays everywhere!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

From Slickdeals: NewEgg has the 2x4GB SODIMM kit for $39.99, free shipping with a free Kingston 4GB flash drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295&cm_sp=ProductSpotlight-_-20-231-295-_-07272011

This fits in the MBP yes? If so thank you very much!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Not much. He probably will not be using AutoCAD much in fact. Considering they pay drafters to do that poo poo in the first place.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Just wondering will this ram work in a 2011 13" mbp?

This is the ram from the deal Bob Morales posted last week. Either way I'm purchasing new ram today just need to know which to get.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Mine was just delivered so I will let you know if it works tonight, I plan on installing it in the same machine.

True the only difference is the one on sale today is PC3 10600 and the one you have is PC3 10666. I don't know if that matters.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

True the only difference is the one on sale today is PC3 10600 and the one you have is PC3 10666. I don't know if that matters.

It's actually not the same ram. So does anyone know if that matters?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Boo about the flash drives for you guys. I ordered this morning anyways figured I could always return it if it didn't work.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there a "best" SSD to get for a 2011 13" mbp? I think I want to do that upgrade next after I get the RAM. 8gigs ram and an SSD sounds way too sexy. Also are there any foreseeable problems with sleep and what not running an SSD?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I've always stuck with Intel and had no issues.

Do you mind telling me which one of these I should pick up? And also do you have a link to an install guide?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does anyone know if the 4 gigs OEM ram that came in my 2011 13" mbp would work in a c2d 13" from mid 2009? I just got my 8gigs today and have nothing to do with the old ram besides give it to a friend.

Edit: Also 8 gigs of ram owns bones.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 5, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there any reason this thing is using swap at all? I have 8gigs of ram.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah the reason it's using swap even though you have free ram is stop sperging in activity monitor and get some work done already.

The reason I'm "spergng" is I want to get an SSD soon and doesn't swap decrease an SSD's life?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Crackpipe posted:

I was ready to pull the trigger on a MBA 13", until I realized that I'd want to play Civilization 5 at some point in the next 4 years... :(

Don't worry the Vi Dock is coming for external GPU goodness.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Why not just get the i7 13" MBA? It's only $100 more and is probably quicker because of the SSD.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Plus you get a better screen too. Seems like the logical choice.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah dude get your poo poo on the cloud.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Alright I'm replacing the HDD in my 13 MBP with an SSD. I'm going big because I just got a nice bonus at work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147064 Any problems at all with that SSD?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I can assume the same about the 128GB one as well? Going to pick one up for my lady since she's nice to me.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

every posted:

I was thinking it might be cheaper overall since I was planning on getting the data doubler + SSD in a package. What would be some recommended drives to use instead? Is there a company that makes a data doubler besides OWC? Thanks again!

There's this from MCE for $20 more. I haven't checked for any others.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

movax posted:

OWC Data Doubler

That is really sexy. You may have convinced me to buy one. What Macbook are you sticking that in? I think I'm going to stick to my get a 256SSD plan but if I need more space I know what I'm getting in the future.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Apple uses torx screws on their internals, correct? Just asking because I'm going to pick up tools for my SSD installation.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

13" MBP inch is dual core. http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

stock 13 inch should be 1400+tax if you get the SSD yourself and have a microcenter nearby.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm getting noticeable slow down on my 2011 13" MBP when it's on for more than a week. I have 8 gigs of ram with usualy about 3 free it just chugs for some reason(chrome takes forever to load pages, xcode beachballs compiling simple programs, itunes has a 3 second delay in responding to clicks). Stock everything else except for the ram. It's back to it's zippy self after a restart but it's pretty annoying and I don't feel it should be happening at all. Any ideas?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

movax posted:

Sounds like a classic memory leak of some sort...or unusually high amounts of disk activity. There are no SMART errors logged for your HDD, are there? What's disk activity look like in Activity Monitor during these slowdowns?

Nope no SMART errors. I haven't thought to look at Activity Monitor during them. I will in the future. Most likely it's what Bob Morales said. drat 3rd party browsers.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there any reason my brand new MacBook Air won't sleep with the lid open? Twice now I've come back to it dead after work because I forgot to close the lid and both those times I've had to go to school without my laptop to take notes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I might, just might have to sell my Air and get a Pro - my vision is going downhill and I can't see the tiny pixels :(

:( Will the retina displays help? You know they're coming.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is it bad for me to use my macbook air to transfer pictures(in raw and jpg) from my SDHC card to my External HD? I notice that I have to "securely" delete everything and it takes a long time to do so for 16 GB worth of pictures. Is that affecting my SSD life?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Why do you have to securely delete everything? If there isn't some security reason for it, just reformat the card in-camera when you're done (every pro photographer I know reformats rather than just erasing the files. It ensures a clean slate and minimizes potential for camera write errors).

I hadn't thought of just reformatting. :smith:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

The fastest and easiest way would be an external hard drive if you've got one, or gigabit ethernet failing that. You'll be waiting for a while if you need to do it wireless.

You can't Ethernet with a MacBook Air.

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sure you can, just not gigabit.

I completely forgot they had that adapter. Wow.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 10, 2012

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Can someone help me explain to a stupid person why the MBPTNG is priced well? This idiot is arguing that when they introduced retina to the iPhone and iPad they didn't increase price so why should they get away with it here.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

It's priced well because they want to sell a lot of them. Keeping it under $2500 for the base model means more sales.

Also I'd assume that just the general price of technology from their production facilities are allowing them to keep the same profit margin at lower costs. Closed systems are pretty profitable.

It's apparent even in some of their upgrade packages. 16GB of ram for $200 is 50% higher than buying your own 16GB Mac memory off newegg, not a bad proprietary markup, especially for a system you probably can't easily change the ram yourself in. The 128GB SSD upgrade for a normal mac pro is $300, thats somewhere between $100-$150 more than replacing it yourself, sure, but apple uses some decent quality SSDs with really good transfer rates.

Technology costs almost always go down as things mature and even the mighty apple is starting to realize lower price points draw in more users.

Edit: If you meant "Why is that a good price" then the answer is because Apple is dialing down the price for good technology. Those level of specs used to be a $3000 17" Macbook Pro.

Oh I know that. He's saying it should be regular 15" MBP pricing. $1799 for that machine would be giving it away.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My MacBook Air 13" from January is getting like 3 hours battery life just browsing in chrome and IRC chatting in textual with sparrow open for emails. Is this ok or should I take it in to get looked at? That battery life is very disheartening as the semester is starting back up and I will be at school for 5+ hours(actual in class time) 3 days out of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I will give Safari a run tonight. How do you remove flash on Safari?