Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Any recommendations for a monitor riser that has space underneath for a Mac mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Are any Air-only users doing anything particularly clever with regards to storage and managing large media directories? NAS? iTunes Match?

I have iTunes match and a Mac Mini in the bedroom with two hard drives attached, All media is kept on the Mini'sinternal hdd. One external is a Time Machine drive set up so all the laptops in the house can backup wirelessly. The other external is just extra storage.

I love having an always on desktop in the house for storing content to stream to appletv or other devices. It's also a device I can control with Screen Sharing so I can tell it to start large torrents or downloads when I'm not home, and I don't have to worry about interrupting transfers when I close my laptop.

Having a second computer is almost necessary I think. I couldn't imagine doing everything I do on just my 11'' air

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 1, 2012

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Trackpad is horrible for Excel or anything with a lot of clicking and dragging

Tragic Macpad is amazing for everyhting else

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Mercurius posted:

I probably shouldn't have used the term retina but I didn't think most people would recognise Apple's term for it, which is HiDPI. Lion's got experimental support for HiDPI but Mountain Lion is supposedly going to add proper support for HiDPI modes. 2880x1800 is the HiDPI mode of the current 1440x900 display in the 15" MBP (and 13" Air) because it's exactly double the resolution.

If you're interested in what resolutions Intel considers 'retina' to be for the various sizes of laptops and desktops, Liliputing had an article on it a couple weeks ago. Intel seems to think that HiDPI laptop screens should be around 250 dpi and that a 15" laptop should have a 1920x1080 HiDPI (so 3840x2160) screen in them (although Apple uses 16:10 screens, rather than 16:9 like Intel is suggesting). Apple currently only offers 1920x1200 on the 17" MBP as a BTO option, so I don't think you're going to see HiDPI resolutions anywhere near that in 15" MBPs any time soon.

source: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/01/retina-display-macs-ipads-and-hidpi-doing-the-math/

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Those MacBook Pros are great and are legitimately very thin, but then you get used to a MacBook Air and it's like you can't get un-used to it

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

jaspertron posted:

So I just realized my 2012 13 inch Pro(non-retina) doesn't have audio in. Doesn't look like the retiana models have it either. What's the alternative here, my google fu is failing me and all I found was some people linking to a sketchy website from the 90's selling $300 pieces of hardware....

There must be an audio in to firewire converter or something that doesn't lose too much quality right?
Go in audio settings and see if you can configure it to be audio in. My understanding is that there is one jack that can be line-in or headphone-out, but not both at once.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I just bought an Airport Express to extend my network because I was getting awful signal in my living room. The 2012 Express has 2 Ethernet ports, one for LAN and one for WAN. I can't find anything in the documentation that says whether the WAN port could be used as a LAN port when the router is in bridge mode. Anyone have any idea if there's a software setting to do that? Hoping to find out before I order unnecessary patch cables.

Also, as a network extender, the Airport Express is so awesome. I was getting 1.5 Mbps down on my iPad before but am now getting about 16 Mbps on my 5gz N network. Not as good as the 20 Mbps I get on my desktop, but still amazing.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

japtor posted:

Are any of the Macs desktops by any chance? I'm not sure if they took the feature out, but at least before you could back up to another Mac on the network, like it'd basically act as a Time Capsule.

If you're bridging with a wire, pretty sure you can (had mine set up that way at one point), not sure about wireless to wired bridging though.

Slightly off topic, but if you use wires enough just learn how to crimp your own. You can get a crimper for under $20, a bag of connectors for a few bucks, and whatever cable you want, like 1000 feet for $50-100! (Or something like 100ft for $10). You can also do this for most other cable/connector types but the prices for the connectors and crimping tools isn't always as cost effective (unless you do it a lot and need long lengths I guess).
Sorry, should have been more clear. The Airport Express is wirelessly connected to my Extreme and is extending my network. There are two devices I would like to connect to the network via Ethernet connection to the Express. I am totally sure I can connect one via the LAN port, but I was hoping the WAN port would act like a LAN port if it wasn't connects to a modem.

Good tip on the make your own cables. I just ordered two short patch cables for $5 total, but if I ever seriously redo this house, I'll definitely string Ethernet cables everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah it completely ignores ergonomics. It's not totally unusable but it's a design that should've been canned early in development. I think Apple has always had a strange inability to make a good mouse. In my opinion bluetooth mice cost too much and have too many points at which they gently caress up. I've owned a couple and there's always been something or another. Now I'm using a $7 Kensington Mouse in a Box which works better than any of them. Just don't be a baby about cables and it will be fine.

It may not be a design you like, but I wouldn't say the Magic Mouse is too compromised in design. The trick is to grip it with just your fingertips. Most mice are designed to be held by resting your entire palm on it.

The Magic Mouse is really a great mouse, as long as you don't mind floating your wrist above the table instead of resting. Magic Mouse actually makes me use it in a way that is less likely to cause RSI than most mice.