Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't know what "gaming and such" things your PC can do that some iMac somewhere couldn't touch- it's just a question of how much you're willing to pay for performance.

Well, a 680MX is pretty respectable, no doubt. But I really prefer the following benefits:
1> Having a separate PC for a faster upgrade cycle. Outside of maybe RAM or adding external storage, I am perfectly fine keeping an iMac "as is" for 5+ years. I prefer to make smaller incremental upgrades to my PC for gaming purposes more often.
2> Being able to step on a button I put on the floor and turn my PC on and do whatever while OSX just sits and still does its thing in the background is really nice. No dual-booting or bootcamp or virtualization fuckery required.

Being able to use the iMac as a monitor is really a best of both worlds scenario. I feel like, especially with this current iMac lineup, the gap is closing and in another generation or two I might be able to comfortably ditch having a separate PC forever, but it's not time yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Anveo posted:

I was basically in a similar situation where I use my Air for everything except gaming. I ended up getting the Dell u3011 which I hookup to my Macbook Air 2011 via DisplayPort and my PC via a dual link DVI cable (included with monitor, it's needed to do 2560 x 1600). The PC has an ATI 6970 w/ i5 2500k and even the newest games generally run great at full resolution / settings. Once or twice I've dropped down to 1920x1200 and the quality is perfectly playable.

Yeah I've already got the great PC. This might be what I end up doing. I kinda hate having a laptop sitting on my desk 95% of the time that I never take anywhere, but eh.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

MBP has switchable audio in/out port, MBA just has built in microphone

Audio In and Mic ports are not typically the same thing. Will the input work with an unamplified microphone?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The idea of a "box chain" is basically reinventing the computer. I doubt Apple is going to have a bunch of sloppy cables chaining things together, but the sort of decentralized design will fundamentally alter the PC concept. Apple's done it before, but I have a lot of skepticism here.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Also, how the hell do they get it up to 1.25Gb/s? Must have RAID right on the drive.

Yes, some of the higher end PCI SSD cards basically see their storage as two separate disks in a RAID-0. At least I think that's how it works.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cowofwar posted:

So are professionals with $4,000 to spend on a computer actually using optical drives and expansion cards?

In a single word: Yes.

Your entire post is completely inaccurate. Plain ole Gb networking is not fast enough for jack poo poo.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Guni posted:

2) I have a mark on my screen from the keyboard (has been in my backpack with heavy textbooks and such)

If Apple tells you to get stuffed, I THINK you can get a new glass bezel for less than $50 on eBay, heat gun the old one off and put the new one on. You don't have to replace the whole screen. YMMV, etc.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

iostream.h posted:

I'm not sure if this should be in hardware or software so I'll just crosspost it, but I'm about to upgrade the HD in my 2012 MBP and was wondering what the best option is for copying the old drive to the new one.

Also, as I'm trying out one of those Seagate 'SSD/HD Hybrid' drives, is there anything special I need to do or just ghost it and rock on?

Disk Utility handles this just fine as long as you have a way to hook the new drive up to the system somehow before you do the swap. No special considerations are required for the hybrid.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Ars has a 2013 iMac review up with benchmarks, they show gaming results (1920x1080) of the Iris Pro 5200 vs the GeForce GT 640M and Intel HD 5000.

High hopes for the next MBP's graphics?

I don't know if I ever understand these benchmarks. It's always new stuff is a little faster than old stuff but when it comes to gaming it could all just be lumped into "Not Nearly Fast Enough."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Forbin5 posted:

I just bought a new iMac with no apple care.
BRING IT WORLD.

What? It's kind of spendy on the notebooks, but on an iMac it's $169 and unless it's changed, it's IN HOME SERVICE, even.

Also, based on a sample size of one store, Micro Centers will typically give you the student discount on Applecare if you have a valid ID and often has Macbooks on some kind of discount.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Forbin5 posted:

Hmm I work right next to one. I'll check it out. If I can snag it for around 120 with the discount ill do that.

Yeah, the logic is pretty simple. You could always buy the laptop from them and then go down the road to Apple and get the Applecare there. The only trick is that they will apply the discount to the laptop itself and make you pay full price for the applecare. It all works out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

That's why I'm going with a refurb MBA - it's sub $1000 and I've always preferred to play new release games on a console. Thanks for the advice!

If you've got the spare scratch, Steam streaming seems to work really well so far and it's still in beta. Build a fair to decent gaming PC and stick it in a closet somewhere. At your girlfriend's house, you dumdum. :j:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ghost Farts posted:

Since we're already on the topic of case chat: I've seen several people that had the Apple logo imprinted on their displays in MBAs as a white circle, probably due to too much pressure. I'd like to avoid that.

Does anybody have any experiences with plastic cases for MBAs such as the Speck SmartShell? If so, would they help with that problem/are they even worth their money?

Isn't this caused by the back of the screen being lit by sunlight or something through the logo?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

dizzywhip posted:

So I have a 27" cinema display that's probably around 3 years old. I just saw what appeared to be a tiny spider crawling down the front of the screen, so I tried to squish it, but it was actually inside the monitor, behind the glass. I think maybe I pushed hard enough for it to die anyways because it hasn't moved since then, so it appears that I now have a tiny dead spider permanently stuck in the middle of my screen.

According to the internet I can use some suction cups to remove the glass, but is that a relatively safe thing to do? I assume it'll be pretty expensive if I try to take it into an Apple store to get fixed.

Edit: Literally immediately after I posted this it started crawling around again after not moving for almost an hour...hopefully it escapes.

If it's like the iMac, the glass is only held on with some magnets. Pop it off a bit, blast the spider with compressed air and reseat it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I have never seen a third party battery that didn't suffer from at least one of the following issues:

1> Poor fit, requires cramming in there or is a bit sloppy.
2> Off color, doesn't blend with the existing body. Doesn't apply for machines with all internal batteries.
3> Off finish, has a clearly different finish than body. Doesn't apply for machines with all internal batteries.

Generally they seem to kind of suck, I have never seen one that seemed to be on par with Apple's.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
PCI-X wasn't really exotic in the old PowerMac G5s. Plain old 32-bit 66MHz PCI lasted, way, way too long, so these cards cropped up quite a bit in higher end workstations and server hardware. It was also backwards compatible with 32-bit normal length PCI cards.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Shaocaholica posted:

Except that if you plugged a 66mhz or 33mhz PCI card into a 133mhz PCI-X bus the whole bus would get clocked back to the slower speed PCI card.

Did it not have independent busses?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Shaocaholica posted:

My AGP G5 and G4 MDD both only have PCI-X slots if thats any indication.

I think you could mix cards and run at full speed if all of the slots weren't on a shared bus. No idea of the G5 was built that way.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

JHVH-1 posted:

We know its usually the iPhone announcement but nothing on their website says it can't be more than that. Weirder things have happened.

I'm going to end up getting a new MacBook Pro from MicroCenter cause the one in NJ has 3.5% sales tax. Sure I have to drive 45 minutes but i'll save nearly 90 bucks on a $2500 laptop. I'll have to meet a friend for dinner or something to make it really worthwhile.

serebralassazin posted:

MicroCenter's prices are pretty good. Could also order from bhphoto.com, they have pretty good prices and don't charge sales tax. Their store and warehouse are in NY so it ships pretty quick to NJ.

Remember that based on my local store, Micro Center will totally haggle about stuff. It should be an easy thing to get $100 off(discount applied to MBP) of Applecare, etc.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Yeast posted:

Made the mistake of viewing my photographs on a retina 5K iMac.

Now I just have to sell the trashcan.

Non-American spotted.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sounds like capacitor whine, which can often happen with certain video cards/chipsets. Not a whole lot to be done about it, I don't think.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MrBond posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on drobo 5D vs. the regular 4-bay USB3 version? Is thunderbolt worth it? It's about a $250 premium :\

Dickhead out of bounds suggestion: Spend that money on an HP Microserver and run xpenology. I was going to buy a drobo, but this works really, really well for me. ymmv.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kingnothing posted:

Page is already dead. Apple must work quick.

How do they have a legal basis to do that?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
GOLD MACBOOK AIR. Is there a thread for this awful event?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Actually yeah, now that I am getting a bit of info on the features, it seems... pretty nice. Still wondering about ports, though...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Pretty sure the standard Apple Store return policy is 2 weeks?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hahaha not a fuckin' port on the thing. It's the iMac all over again?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vaporware posted:

Wait you charge it through the USB port?

Seems so.

It's pretty groovy, I'd like one, but I'll wait for the 2nd gen so you can actually get 16GB of RAM.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Small White Dragon posted:

I have an Apple iMac where the backlight under a portion of the screen flickers occasionally. It's under warranty - Is there any way to just send it in for service? The website wants me to make an appointment at an Apple Store which has no parking nearby, and this thing is large, heavy and difficult for me to move.

(I know this sounds pretty #firstworldproblem-y).

Wasn't/Isn't Applecare in-home for desktops?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MrChupon posted:

I'm curious if anyone here thinks there is any credence to this: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/07/lg-leaks-8k-imac/

Seems like it would require video hardware Apple isn't likely to put in an iMac to actually pull off.

Could do something goofy with like dual-GPUs driving half the screen each or something.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kingnothing posted:

reiterate again

Is this... double redundancy?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
it's a pretty gross move by Apple considering how high the margin on those lovely headphones is.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ha, no I am just saying some of the previous incentives were better and had more value, but cost Apple more.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Huh, for some reason I was thinking they had done higher value gift cards in the past. Would still take the GC over some garbage headphones, but the costs probably line up for Apple right about the same. I stand corrected.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I really like what the Surface line's slowly maturing into tho. The Pro is sort of a weird in-between device with way too many compromises to make but the cheaper smaller one is the sort of thing that I would love to have in lab with me.

I thought the SP3 was pretty cool at first, but the more I use it, the less I like it. Small irritations, and like you say, so many compromises. I'd switch to an Air in a moment at this point.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
We give out the t450s at work, and while they're okay, they're not some kind of amazing machine. The screen is not what I would call "good" and Lenovo's trackpads are basically the worst trackpads I can imagine these days.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TopherCStone posted:

That's pretty much my perspective.

That said,

If you're using the trackpad, you're doing it wrong. Step one is to disable it in the driver settings and use only the Trackpoint.

They don't even have a trackpoint anymore, I don't think.

It's a super garbage machine. I am hoping I can stop buying Lenovos and start getting some of the much nicer/smaller/faster/cheaper HPs in here before year's end. I mean ffs, I was issued a 15" T540 when I started with a loving 1366x768 TN panel in it. What loving garbage, gtfo Lenovo.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TopherCStone posted:

on the exact model your office apparently issues

Skylake is this year, not two years from now. Xeons in particular come out in October IIRC

Haha, busted. We do mostly T550s and I didn't have one of those in sight to check. I don't think I have ever seen anyone in this company actually use the trackpoint instead :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So Mac2Sell is on crack, right? There's no way my 2009 i7 27" iMac can be worth anwhere near $1340... is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Arrowsmith posted:

I have an rMB and am curious about my external monitor options.

I'm really jonesing for the Dell U3415w, but I'm not sure how the pairing would work out.

I have one at work, it's fantastic and I can't recommend it enough.