Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Auriak posted:

I can't believe I am even contemplating this, but I guess if there is anyone to ask this type of question, fellow goons would be it: I just bought a 15" MBP 3-4 weeks ago and now apparently Apple has tweaked the keyboard design for Lion. I would much rather have the Launchpad key instead of a Dashboard one. Should I try to see if they will swap mine out for the new design? If so, what would be the best approach? Call them? Make a Genius Bar appointment? Or should I just stop being such a goon and let it go?
You could just remap the key to invoke Launchpad instead of Dashboard in System Preferences > Keyboard. That is reasonable. If you know that and just want the different icon printed on your key... well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
Just make sure you're buying your AppleCare from a "real" store (Amazon, B&H, MacMall, Smalldog, whoever), and not Discount Bob's Taiwanese eBay Shop.

Also keep an eye on https://www.dealmac.com as they will post a link whenever someone has a good deal on AppleCare.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

First, where do I learn to use OSX? I'm very familiar with Windows PCs and somewhat familiar with various Linuxes, but I'm a total mac newbie. I don't need a handholding step by step guide, but something to teach me the basics would be a good idea, I reckon.
Apple has a sort of "intro to mac" page with some videos showing Mac basics, how some things are different from Windows, etc. http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Ah, my first Mac... So long ago...

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
Seconding this STM bag. Perfectly acts as a sleeve (to slide into a bigger case or backpack when you're traveling heavy), or perfect as a laptop-and-charger-only slim case with the shoulder strap (when traveling light).

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Axim posted:

4. I know this is a hardware thread, but I don't want to crosspost, is there a current up-to-date list of top OS X software?
The Mac App Store is a good place to start (can look by category, overall top sellers, what's new and "hot," etc.).

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Are any Air-only users doing anything particularly clever with regards to storage and managing large media directories? NAS? iTunes Match?
I keep my movies on an external USB hard drive. Just hold the option key while dragging the file into your iTunes window, and it will keep the original file in its place (ie. folder on external drive) while adding it to your iTunes library. This way, iTunes continues managing my music, copying those files to my music library folder, and all that, but movies remain external.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
You might still be better with a mouse (if not a stylus setup) for Photoshop purposes, though. There's just that extra level of precision.

Aside from that, trackpads are the way to go, especially in Lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
My first Mac was a tower.

Made of beige plastic.

So... Yeah... Macs in 2002 were nice.