Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
What is the cheapest way to buy an MBA in Canada? The price listed on apple.com is less than 70% of the price listed on the Danish apple store, presumably because it does not include sales tax. I have a friend in Canada (Vancouver, BC specifically) who can purchase and ship an MBA to me.

Firstly what is the Canadian sales tax (if he was to walk into a brick and mortar store, cash in hand, how much would he pay for a 256GB i5 MBA?), and is there an equivalent of B&H Photo / Amazon.com i.e. a store in which doesn't pay sales tax on account of not having a physical presence? Secondly, is B&H photo small enough to be responsive if I send them an email asking them to send the thing as a gift? Some smaller sites usually don't mind, but I have a feeling B&H photo wouldn't be one of them.

e: for a fee, I wouldn't mind buying through a US goon, I just can't figure out a way to do it in a manner which is safe and fraud free for both buyer and seller, and doesn't involve something like escrow which might end up costing me more than the price difference.

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
Are Apple's power bricks interchangeable? I currently have three, all rated for different wattages, and use them interchangeably (one is always in my bag, one at my desk, one next to my tv). The battery on my '06 MBP says it needs servicing, and lasts less than an hour, but can this be ascribed to my mixing-and-matching? I'll be upgrading to a shiny new MBA in the near future and wonder whether I can keep mixing adaptors.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Duper posted:

If you're in the market for a Macbook, I highhhhhly suggest you get one of those 20% off laptops coupons for Amazon.
Elaborate, please.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
I have a last generation 5i Macbook Air, and fans seem to constantly be running at audible speeds. Under regular use, with iTunes, a browser, few text editors and a terminal running, CPU usage hovers around 5%, and the CPU temperature hovers around 75C, which is enough to kick the fans up to 5500-6000RPM. Are the fans kicking in sooner than they should (in other words, should they be running audibly at 75C?), or is my machine running hotter than it should? It's just sitting on a desk, with nothing covering the vents.

Should I be contacting Apple, or is there something I can do myself?

edit:

Levitate posted:

I have a white macbook, 2009 I think (before the re-design) and the trackpad button is starting to drive me nuts. It seems to kinda stick or take a too uch pressure to push, and makes a stuck clicky sound when it does press. Not sure if there's something under it or what. Is there a way to clean it or check to see if it's hosed up?
This is a common problem. I experienced the exact same thing with my late '06 Macbook Pro, and I've heard a few other people complain about the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't know of a solution, and I just learned to live with it (the problem would intermittently go away).

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 23, 2011