Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Crunchy Black posted:

If it shut down without you manually powering it down as quickly as possible I'd say you're quite hosed.

I once had an entire beer spilled on my 09 MBP and it instantly shut off. Turned it into upside down v to drain, and it came back to life a week later. Ran fine for about 3 more years before the logic board died. I probably got incredibly lucky though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure if Windows has ever fully/natively supported booting from a usb drive, bootcamp or no.

A few months ago I borked the efi on a hackintosh laptop and couldn’t get the thing to boot from the internal ssd. I pulled the hdd out of an old windows laptop, stuck it in a usb dock, and was able to boot from it no problem (apart from it being incredibly slow). I was shocked that it worked, tbh

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
The new M1 seems like a generational leap in performance in laptops. The numbers almost don’t seem possible compared to what’s currently available. When was the last time something like this this happened? Intel core architecture in the mid-2000’s?

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Empress Brosephine posted:

It's for my mom so I don't think she would care, plus she keeps it on nonstop anyways. Maybe i'll try it. Thanks for the help. Just too lazy to take off the screen and put a new HD in there

Just a fair warning, I recently had to boot off a usb2 disk to do some recovery stuff on a windows machine and it was slow to the point of being painful. Not just for booting.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Shaocaholica posted:

How much slower are the low power cores vs the high perf? Seems like there would be some interesting scheduling/data dependency for highly threaded workloads if you spread the work across the different cores

IIRC, benchmarks show that four efficiency cores are roughly equivalent to one power core

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Gaz2k21 posted:

My only issue is I can’t remember my Netflix password ....

Can’t remember your password, or Firefox is still signed in to your roommates account from 5 years ago?

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
12” MacBook Mini

14” MacBook

14” MacBook Pro

16” MacBook Pro Max

I’ll take my check now, Apple

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I bought a refurbished 16GB base air and 27” 4K LG monitor last weekend. I am extremely pleased with my purchases. First Mac in 10 years and it feels good to be back

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

The Lord Bude posted:

My point is that a living room is part of the 'public' space of a house; the place where you have guests over to entertain them. It doesn't look nice to have your computer plonked in there, it's... unprofessional, for want of a better word, and makes you look like a teenager living in a dorm. Much like you wouldn't have your ironing board set up or laundry/mail strewn everywhere when guests are over - the difference being those things can be put away before people come over whereas a desktop computer can't. I would agree that having your computer in your bedroom isn't ideal either - the perfect scenario is to have a room set up as a home office space, that way all that stuff is out of sight of guests and also doesn't make you feel like you're having sex in the office if you have company over; but plenty of people don't have the luxury of a spare bedroom in which case I think putting it in the bedroom is a better compromise than having it in the living room. Sleep hygiene is a function of discipline more than anything else. Turn your computer off and don't pick up your phone once you've gone to bed. While you're at it, get out of the habit of using devices or watching tv in the dark - well lit rooms = awake time, darkness = sleepytime.

If your home is really so cramped that you have no choice but to do your computering in the living room, I feel like you should at least be considering using a MacBook rather than an iMac so that you can put it away somewhere when it's not in use.

What in the world

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
Another +1 for the MBA. The 16G base version I have is the best computer I’ve ever owned by a large margin. My only complaint is from the the usb-c implementation of the monitor I hook it up to.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

limaCAT posted:

How would you rate the M1 13" air for writing and browsing?

If you’ve budgeted ~$1,000 for a laptop and its limitations work for you, I don’t think there’s anything better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I was poking around in the apple support app on my phone and looked at the coverage details of my MB Air that I bought refurbished (direct from apple) back in May. For some reason, it’s showing me as having apple care+ coverage through December of 2023. I never bought apple care for this computer. What’s up with that?