Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Mad Wack posted:

yeah i love my new 2016 mbp

Mine's great too. It's the first Apple product I've owned and I'm very pleased. I got the thirteen inch, non-touch-bar base model and my only consideration is whether I want to return it for a version with more SSD or memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

I genuinely love my new Macbook Pro non-touchbar. The keyboard is excellent and in fact my favorite of any laptop I've ever used. I never plug anything into my laptop when I'm not at my desk. I feel like the price was totally fair and in line with alternatives. I also feel like I'm the only person in this thread who believes any of those statements!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for a thin-as-possible neoprene-ish case for 13" and 15" rMBPs?

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD8AF48/

It's a little big by a very small amount (if you're looking closely and nitpicking). It more perfectly fits the 2015 13" model, which is about a single centimeter longer.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

smackfu posted:

I got the 15" version of that for a 2015 model and I wasn't impressed by the fit on that size. Could easily slide around in the case.

On the other hand, when I went to return it, Amazon just said "keep it" so at that price it's workable.

That's where I am on this product too. Good material, medium fit, outstanding price.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

The image of someone whipping a $2000 macbook out of their dogshit $7 foam sleeve that doesn't even fit right is pretty amusing. I mean you gotta save somewhere I guess?

I use an Amazon Basics backpack too because it's cheap, light, and comfortable. :)

Is there a better laptop sleeve material than foam for weight and shock absorption?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

BobHoward posted:

You can do better with beam forming and targeting, but now you're really complicating things, and for what?

Honestly I think if we could channel the beam along a fixed path using a low resistance beam conductor and encase that in a protective coating, we could really go places with this charging technology.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Sphyre posted:

In this situation with a new macbook you would use a TB3 hub, connect all your desk peripherals + ethernet to that, and then be able to connect and power your macbook with a single cable (possibly two or three depending on what monitors you use. I think there are TB3 hubs that support dual 4k monitors over a single cable). That's a massive improvement over having to connect a bunch of poo poo to your macbook, not to mention having a rats nest of cables on your desk, every time you want to move, imo!

Exactly my thought. I don't get dongle hate at all. Admittedly I'm one of those people who never plugs anything in to my laptop except power cable. However, if I wanted to connect to my peripherals at my desk, I would just use a single hub and fixed-cable configuration. No dongles, no problem.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Does anybody use their laptop with a KVM switch? I'd like to be able to use my late 2016 Macbook Pro with my two 4k, 60Hz monitors, keyboard, and mouse. But I don't know if there are any Apple-blessed or known-good KVM devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Social Animal posted:

I really like the keyboard though so it’s a shame knowing I’m a graham cracker away from breaking it.

Yeah I love the action on the keyboard. It took me about one hour to get used to it from the prior Pro's design. Both my personal and work models' keyboards are still cruising along fine, but knowing they could break so easily is terrible.