Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I have just received a new 13" MacBook Pro as a replacement to my Late 2008 13" MacBook. Very pleased with what I assumed to be an upgrade until I plugged in my external monitor.

Both connect to my Iiyama Prolite B2712HDS monitor using the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter into the display port on the 2008 MacBook or the Thunderbolt port on the 2011 MacBook Pro. Both are set to extend the desktop with a resolution of 1920x1080 @ 60Hz standard rotation on the external monitor.

The 2008 MacBook fills the external monitor at this resolution entirely.
The 2011 MacBook Pro produces a picture on the external monitor but doesn't fill the entire screen.

No amount of screwing around on the monitor changes this. Apple themselves don't seem to be able to explain to me why a 3 year old computer is capable of driving the external monitor correctly yet my new 2011 MacBook Pro is not. I am assuming this is something to do with the lovely Intel video card in the MPB (the MacBook has an Nvidia card)

Apple support went away and tested it on a 27" Thunderbolt display connected via a thunderbolt cable and reported to me that it worked fine. As I don't have £900 to drop on a loving monitor this is not a viable solution.

Has anyone got similar experiences? What are my options (that don't involve buying expensive hardware)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
^^^ What he/she said. (The 13" 2011 MBP has a single Intel video card)

As far as being set up correctly, there is little that I can do in the way of setting up other than selecting if the display is extending or mirroring the desktop and what resolution I want.

External Display Settings:

LCD Display Settings:

On my new MBP those settings produces a picture that is ~10% smaller horizontally than the monitor is capable of displaying. lovely iPhone Pic of External Display:

I have also replicated this issue on another 2011 MBP / External Monitor setup. The Apple support forums also have a number of people moaning about the same issue.

Apple support have gone away to have a think and said they will get back to me in 2 days. I am not confident that the results are going to be favourable.

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005

flyboi posted:

On the mac uncheck Overscan and then go into your tv settings. There should be something in your picture settings along the line of "HD Mode." I have to have mine on mode 2 to have correct overscan which got rid of the border but doesn't scale past the border of my tv.

This was the first thing suggested by Apple support. However, Overscan is not an available when connect to an external display using the mini display port adaptor and a VGA D-sub cable. I believe the settings you mention are only available when connected using HDMI (I am using D-Sub).

evensevenone posted:

Can you use DVI instead of VGA?

Bob Morales posted:

Try this, VGA does weird stuff.

I agree, DVI might give me a better (and fuller) picture but don't have the correct adapter. Yet another loving £25 in accessories to Apple then!

My frustration is born out of the fact that my old MacBook happily works whilst the new MacBook Pro doesn't! So much for progress.

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005

movax posted:

sicjoke: do you have something like Monoprice (the vendor of all the adapters in the OP) over in the EU? Would be cheaper than the Apple "official" adapters.

No Monoprice or equivalent in my part of the world but I am sure if I need to start buying additional poo poo the internet will come to my rescue. Besides... company expenses. :smugdog:

You never know, Apple might even bung me a free Mini Displayport to DVI adaptor. Stranger things have happened. Sounds like DVI is the way to go to fix my external monitor issues.